• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A look at team spending for 2010

pantherj

Redskins: $178.2 million. Out.

Cowboys: $166.5 million. Out.

Saints: $145.0 million. In.

Vikings: $143.4 million. Out.

Seahawks: $138.8 million. In.

Jets: $135.7 million. In.

Packers: $135.3 million. In.

Raiders: $135.2 million. Out.

Colts: $133.1 million. In.

Bears: $131.9 million. In.

Eagles: $131.0 million. In.

Patriots: $128.8 million. In.

Giants: $128.6 million. Out.

49ers: $125.9 million. Out.

Dolphins: $123.8 million. Out.

Texans: $123.1 million. Out.

Lions: $122.9 million. Out.

Steelers: $122.9 million. In.

Browns: $122.8 million. Out.

Ravens: $122.3 million. In.

Falcons: $118.5 million. In.

Titans: $118.0 million. Out.

Panthers: $110.9 million. Out.

Rams: $109.1 million. Out.

Chargers: $108.0 million. Out.

Bills: $105.3 million. Out.

Broncos: $102.9 million. Out.

Bengals: $100.8 million. Out.

Cardinals: $97.8 million. Out.

Jaguars: $89.5 million. Out.

Chiefs: $84.5 million. In.

Buccaneers: $80.8 million. Out.

wow you know what's really weird is I was going to ask you to bold in the qualifying teams but when i quoted you it shows you did.:confused:

Wasn't showing up for me, probably still isn't.

2009 was 128 million so we're around 48 million under the cap because I remember us being below the bucs with the dead money taken away.

The cap will probably increase some so lets say 130. Which means we're at 50.

Johnson, Anderson, Kalil, and Davis will all probably have significant salary increases.

If Williams stays throw him in there too because he's playing for peanuts right now.

Beason needs/deserves an extension. It's almost a requirement. JR just threw a ton of big names aside putting buisness above winning. He needs to show that was because of the CBA and not because he doesn't like paying his players. Beason is only mortal, he held out his rookie season. He deserves the security of a long contract, he needs it to play lights out all year to be the heart and soul of the defense/team.

So we don't have quite as much cap room as people think.

• 2 weeks later...

Jets: $135.7 million

Steelers: $122.9 million

Packers: $135.3 million

Bears: $131.9 million

I'll be taking a close look at team spending next season to see where the Panthers fit in. If we're in the bottom 10 again, then I don't like our chances. Bottom 5, and we're fuged. I mean KC made the playoffs, but the Ravens raped them. JR needs to open his wallet.

Where did these numbers come from. All I can find is panthers payroll is a league low 77 mill. I am pasting this from USA today article The talent level appears to be far short of making this team competitive thanks to decisions not to go after a veteran quarterback, receiver, right guard and defensive tackles following the offseason purge that left Carolina with a league-low $77 million payroll. That's not counting about $30 million in so-called "dead money" for players no longer on the team that would have counted toward the salary cap this season, if there was one.

"Going forward, our plan of attack is to build through the draft while retaining our core players," Richardson wrote. "We have one of the youngest teams in the league, and a number of those younger players have shown genuine promise in this otherwise disappointing season. We won't give up on them. We also have a solid nucleus of veterans that we will seek to keep intact."

Richardson, who has not answered questions from reporters since January 2008, also addressed his role as head of the owners' negotiating committee for a new collective bargaining agreement. Many have questioned if Richardson's payroll-slashing was to cut costs in anticipation of a lockout.

"Let me be clear: A successful CBA is critical in sustaining the competitive balance of the NFL," Richardson wrote. "We're all in this together, and what is good for football is good for the continued success of each and every team.

"It's important for us to reach an agreement that benefits the fans, players, and teams. I want the players paid fairly, and I want us to play winning and exciting football."

There has been only one win and little excitement this season, but Richardson has been virtually assured of continued sellouts thanks to the large number of PSL owners who are required to buy season tickets.

"I understand that in a season like this, words can sound hollow, but, as PSL owners, you have my commitment to provide you a team that will make you proud," Richardson wrote.

Several players came to Richardson's defense on Wednesday, expressing confidence he'll successfully rebuild the team.

"I think it's just the character here that Mr. Richardson has and it just goes down from there," defensive end Everette Brown said. "Everybody he brings in, from the staff working in the building to the coaching staff to the players to the equipment room, nobody's letting down, nobody's quitting."

But Carolina is just a month from more uncertainty regarding its coach, who apparently wasn't consulted before Richardson sent his letter.

"I want all of you to know that we plan to look at every aspect of our organization," Richardson wrote. "What we do in the future will entirely be geared toward putting the best possible team on the field. I am committed to fielding a winning team, and I'm willing to invest the resources necessary to make it happen."

Notes: CB Chris Gamble (hamstring) remained sidelined from practice Wednesday. LB Jon Beason (knee), G Travelle Wharton (toe), DT Ed Johnson (knee) and LB Nic Harris (head) also sat out. ... RB Tyrell Sutton (ankle), S Marcus Hudson (ankle) and LB Jason Williams (knee) were limited. ... The Panthers were forced to practice on their artificial turf field because the grass fields were frozen amid a cold snap.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

You might also be interested in:

Archived