• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Assistant Coach Candidates

Mr. Scot

You might have noticed that the coaching candidates Gantt posted were guys from Fox's Giants staff between 97 and 01.

Haluchak was the LB coach till 99 (after which Tom Olivadotti took over) and Lynn was the DB coach.

But who, you might wonder, was the DL coach?

I had to resort to the Wayback Machine (internet archive) to find out, but the answer is Denny Marcin. Oddly enough, Marcin's most recent gig was coaching the Jets defensive line. As such, he was on the receiving end of a trade that sent a certain former disgruntled Panther DT his way this past offseason.

(wonder if the Fox connection with Marcin played a part in that trade)

I've heard the name, and remember references being fairly positive. He has a book or two out there, including one about teaching the "Tilted Nose Technique".

As of the moment, he has been replaced as Jets DL coach by former Dolphin linebacker (and notorious bird-flipper) Bryan Cox. Word is that he has been retained by the Jets, but in a lesser status.

FYI: Olivadotti is a familiar name too. He's been a DC (Dolphins) though my memory about his work in that capacity tends toward the negative. He's been speculated as a possible DC under Fox before.

Update: The Raiders hired Dwaine Board so he's no longer an option on the DL. They're actually also talking to Mike Haluchak and former Panthers DC under George Seifert, John Marshall.

(I wouldn't want Marshall back myself)

Pretty sure everyone else discussed is still in play.

Right now, I wouldn't mind seeing as assistant lineup like this.

Krumrie/Marcin - DL (possible)

McGinnis - LBs (I'm dreaming there)

Edwards/Maxie - DBs (looking more like Herm's going to do TV)

Sucks to see Board go. He's stayed on the west coast all his professional life, but he was from around here and went to school at NCA&T so I was hopeful he'd be a candidate. Krumrie's still one of my guys. Denny Marcin's out there?

McGinnis wouldn't leave for a lateral move. Venturi's still there, even if Haluchak goes. I thought Martindale was staying in Oakland but he's a Bronco now. I guess, while we're talking Venturi, there's Haslett, desperate for a job.

I read that about Herm, too. I figured TV would be too crowded, but they keep making room. You can't make that much money being on TV for twenty minutes during the draft and twenty minutes worth of talking opposite Mike Ditka on NFL Countdown.

Maxie is OK. I like Lynn more. I also want to see us pickup some real third-tier assistants (offensive QC, etc).

Archived