• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If AJ Green is the Pick...

chknwing

I haven't read the whole 100+ comments in this thread, but I want to comment of some that I have...

If you look at the players ESPN currently has at the top of the board (Bowers, Fairley, Peterson and Green) two of those (Bowers and Failey) have been one hit wonders this season. Prior to this year they both were very mediocre players. Another (Peterson) has been off and on this season.

AJ Green however has been one of the most consistent players in college football the last three years. Despite missing 4 games this season he reeled in a career high 57 receptions.

We had the worst offense in the league this season, if will be very hard to justify taking a defensive player 1st overall especially when all of the top prospects were inconsistent players in college. This is especially true when one of the best wide receiver prospects since Calvin Johnson is sitting at the top of the board.

Speaking of CJ, unlike what someone said earlier, he was taken 2nd overall not 1st. Oakland selected Jamarcus Russell over Johnson because they thought they needed to reach to pick up their franchise quarterback then instead of pick best player available. I wonder if they regret that approach now?

I haven't read the whole 100+ comments in this thread, but I want to comment of some that I have...

If you look at the players ESPN currently has at the top of the board (Bowers, Fairley, Peterson and Green) two of those (Bowers and Failey) have been one hit wonders this season. Prior to this year they both were very mediocre players. Another (Peterson) has been off and on this season.

AJ Green however has been one of the most consistent players in college football the last three years. Despite missing 4 games this season he reeled in a career high 57 receptions.

We had the worst offense in the league this season, if will be very hard to justify taking a defensive player 1st overall especially when all of the top prospects were inconsistent players in college. This is especially true when one of the best wide receiver prospects since Calvin Johnson is sitting at the top of the board.

Speaking of CJ, unlike what someone said earlier, he was taken 2nd overall not 1st. Oakland selected Jamarcus Russell over Johnson because they thought they needed to reach to pick up their franchise quarterback then instead of pick best player available. I wonder if they regret that approach now?

I think if we bring in Orton, draft Green, and get a smart OC and QB coach we will be just fine.. Orton is a solid QB. We can take the next 2-3 years to find a franchise QB or maybe Clausen turns into something nice... (this year is hardly a determining factor)

It's like I've been saying..with some good FO management..we have a shot THIS season..

we certainly don't have 20 holes on this team like a few people seem to believe..

OC, QB coach, and QB is it... DT and CB need attention.. other than that we are good. Nothing is going to open up the field more on offense than Green, Gettis, Smitty and LaFell.. (Goodson if we find a OC who realizes the true potential he offers)

I think if we bring in Orton, draft Green, and get a smart OC and QB coach we will be just fine.. Orton is a solid QB. We can take the next 2-3 years to find a franchise QB or maybe Clausen turns into something nice... (this year is hardly a determining factor)

Personally, I think this is the approach that we should take. However, it's hard to tell what a new coaching staff will think about our roster and how they'll go about fixing it. So I'm not getting my hopes up one way or another lol.

Personally, I think this is the approach that we should take. However, it's hard to tell what a new coaching staff will think about our roster and how they'll go about fixing it. So I'm not getting my hopes up one way or another lol.

makes the most sense to me.. Orton was really good in Denver at one point and was solid in Chicago, despite what misinformation most fans believe.. (like Bolden having character concerns)

he should do well with 4 legit threats, and having Green will most definitely take pressure off Smitty in the slot while Gettis is a deep threat... (really we will have Green and Gettis as deep threats, and Smitty to some extent)

a smart OC should have a field day and Orton as well...

buuuuuuuuuuut, I don't think this is what will exactly happen either.. I think right now it does offer the best possibilities for the future though..

we certainly don't have 20 holes on this team like a few people seem to believe..

OC, QB coach, and QB is it... DT and CB need attention.. other than that we are good. Nothing is going to open up the field more on offense than Green, Gettis, Smitty and LaFell.. (Goodson if we find a OC who realizes the true potential he offers)

You forgot one major need, and that is o-line. We NEED a stud DT, theres no argue against it. I'm not saying take a DT with a first rounder, but none the less, we need one. Then after OL and DL is QB, despite how much faith we may or may not have in Clausen.

You forgot one major need, and that is o-line. We NEED a stud DT, theres no argue against it. I'm not saying take a DT with a first rounder, but none the less, we need one. Then after OL and DL is QB, despite how much faith we may or may not have in Clausen.

you think I forgot the OLine?

totally slipped my mind.. damn, yo.. lol

Well, you did.

OLine will be fine with Otah and Schwartz.. if we pick up a RG (Mankins) in FA, we'll be perfectly fine...

our defense was 12th in the league and most likely was on the field the longest.. DT is a big need, but we'll do them more of a favor picking up Orton and drafting Green..

so yeah, definitely didn't consider the OLine or DLine... lol

Orton won't be needed here after we either draft Cam with the first pick or Tyrod with a later pick. Our Qb's will be perfectly fine next year, and Green can go somewhere else with all his character issues. Smith and LaFell will hold it down until Alshon Jeffery is NFL bound next year.

LOL... glad you got it all figured out.. have a good day. ;)

Archived