• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Beasons tweet about the CBA

Snake

I'm all for a 2 - 18 season...why should I as a fan pay full price to watch preseason? I also don't buy into the thought that it is a safety issue. Players get injured in preseason too...so what the hell is the difference really. if they don't want to go 18 reg games, at least they can do is get rid of 2 preseason games.

You can't really argue it gives some teams an advantage when all have to deal with the same thing. The "Luck" factor will be the teams smart enough to take it easier on the players in giving them more time off the field and having quality backups on the roster to fill in for injured players. I could really care less about having 18 regular season games because I like watching the pre-season games and seeing some of the unheralded backups get a shot to make the roster/prove themselves out there.

Did you say Luck? I hate watching pre-season games. I also don't like the fact that pre-season games cost the same as regular season games. I don't think that fans should have to pay full price when the starters rest most of the game and we get to watch scrubs duke it out for a roster spot. Put a discount on the pre-season seats and cut it to 2 games. That's in a perfect world. But we all know it's not.

yes, they are playing under the same 20 games format.. but this argument fully ignores what is happening when you take away 2 preseason games and add 2 regular season games..

for the owners, it's about money. the players are going to have to give in, due to money.. but it's also about player safety..

the Packers for instance (yes, they overcame, but most teams don't, and many teams are plagued with injuries every year as they have been) you are taking 16 regular season games and 15 starters on IR this year.. and adding 2 more FULL QTR games is not about safety?

The Panthers in 2004 had 17 starters injured that year... and us Panther fans are blinded by Goodell's 20 game format propaganda?

it's not about the 20 game format.. we have 4 vanilla games where some starters don't even play, and when they do they play 7 QTRs of vanilla football...

and instead, offering up 3 QTRs of vanilla football + 8 QTRs of high impact football... 11 QTRs, if you really want to compare a preseason game to a regular season game... (which isn't comparable at all)

I get the other side of the argument, "this is going to happen regardless" or "it's only 2 more games", but those 2 arguments fully ignore the massive amounts of injuries that occur in a 16 regular season game period..

The only thing I got from this is now I want a vanilla milkshake. Thanks a lot!

For those of you who don't want 18 games, which I believe is the majority of fans and players, your best bet at keeping the 16 game schedule is to go through the lockout. (Whether it be up until august, or through the whole football season) The owners will not budge from their position this year, and because they will still get payed, there is no reason to do so. If there is a deal before March 4th, it will be because the players gave in to the owners' demand.

I don't want an 18 game season, and that is well worth fighting for and sacrificing a year of football.

How are you coming up with the majority of the fans don't want an 18 game regular season? :idea:

There is this thing called taxes. 10 million dollars is not what they take home. Add trying to save invest for that money to last, helping family out, moving to new cities, etc. 2 million is a lot of money but looking at the whole picture it's not as much as you think it is.

Wow dude. Are you really trying to tell me that $10 million dollars before taxes is not a lot of money. Lay off the heavy stuff man. :skep:

Any guess as to his motivations, his strategies in this situation, and who is really is as a person, is just that, a guess.

But actions speak louder than words. Or in this case, inactions, and there are some undeniable facts here that show he's either an idiot, indolent, or downright destructive for the NFL as a league:

1. There has not been a formal sit down negotiation to take place between the union or owners.

2. Smith has repeatedly gone to the media directly about the NFLPA's stand on owner proposals.

3. Smith has a history in legal action, as he is a worked as a prosecutor for years, then as a trial attorney and litigation partner in a D.C. law office.

4. A suit has been filed against the owners accusing them of collusion.

5. Smith has close ties with the White House and the Attorney General's office.

The facts, collectively point to an aggressive legal activism mentality. The results of which COULD do irreparable harm to the NFL as a league.

Now we're getting somewhere.:yesnod:

Their job is more dangerous than yours and is more public. You'd want to be compensated accordingly as well if you had a bad day at work and 100,000 people booed you. You'd also want to get paid accordingly if your life was turned upside down from the minute you left college until the minute your career was over, and then some.

Straight Crap Homie :nopity:

If this was just about pre-season games, then why not just cut the pre-season in half and leave it at that. If you add two more games on the season, you are essentially going to have starters resting at the end of the year anyway once everything is wrapped up for their teams. Also, even if they don't sit out, if they have everything wrapped up, the starters would be playing in meaningless games with the chance of getting hurt for the playoffs.

Imagine the Patriots have everything wrapped up with two more weeks to go (home field throughout the playoffs), Bellichick decides to let Brady play a game to stay ready for the playoffs, but then breaks his leg in the third quarter of the 17th game. How stupid will that 18 game bright idea look then. The best idea would be to keep the 4 pre-season games and lower the prices. With lowered prices, more people are likely to come out, and you end up making more money in the pre-season at less price than you would at regular game prices.

Archived