• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A good and fair article about 1st round QB's

teeray

Well Mav according to these guys the only reason you draft QB's in the third round is so they can be backups. These guys aren't drafted to ever be starters or franchise QB's. Just to be roster fillers that can be cut later on down the road.

Lol was more so referring to guys drafted in the 5th or later. Don't know where anyone said guys drafted in the 3rd are supposed to be career backups.

There likely are some teams that draft a Qb as a backup if you already have an established franchise guy on board and they are still relatively young and healthy. Jim Sorgi is a good example.

But for the most part guys drafted in the top of the draft are picked because at that position they are the BPA or the team thinks they have the potential to be better. Look at Clausen for example. He wasn't picked as a backup neither was Pike. Both were picked up because they were the BPA in the round they were picked.

Most teams draft that way. Tony Romo was undrafted and sat for 3 years. What he drafted as a backup?? Not really. He was a young guy with potential who they took the time to develop. What about Cassel. He was a backup to Brady, became a starter due to injury and is now the starter in KC. Was he drafted as a backup??

Few if any quarterbacks are taken to be backups unless you are a Peyton Manning. Instead they are taken for development purposes with the idea that they could potentially be the starter one day.

the major point from our perspective is if you're looking for a franchise QB, no round better to find one than the first

the pats weren't looking for a franchise guy when they took Cassel. They most likely weren't looking for a franchise guy in 2000 when they took Brady in the 6th because they already had Bledsoe starting and his emergence was spurred by happenstance more than Belichick itching to put him on the field. It just so happened that Brady had what it takes and Belichick's offensive system was able to bring it out of him

We're looking for a franchise guy if we're looking for a QB. We're pissing in the wind if we take a Christian Ponder in the 4th to be an eventual starter. That's what this thread is about. I'm not sure if teeray got lost trying to explain himself further but that's my interpretation of this article.

It's not impossible to find a franchise guy in the later rounds, but it is infeasible

:willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly:

That was the year Favre "retired". He wasn't drafted to be a backup he was drafted to compete with Rodgers for the starting job eventually.

Drafted to compete with Rodgers eventually means he was to start out as a backup.

Backups can also translate into developments for the future.

Yeah but that brings us full circle to the original point. Guys drafted after the first round rarely ever do develop into legit starters. Whether they start as back ups or otherwise.

Rodgers was a first round pick. They were hoping he would start. They didn't even want him to be a back up as long as he was.

There likely are some teams that draft a Qb as a backup if you already have an established franchise guy on board and they are still relatively young and healthy. Jim Sorgi is a good example.

But for the most part guys drafted in the top of the draft are picked because at that position they are the BPA or the team thinks they have the potential to be better. Look at Clausen for example. He wasn't picked as a backup neither was Pike. Both were picked up because they were the BPA in the round they were picked.

Most teams draft that way. Tony Romo was undrafted and sat for 3 years. What he drafted as a backup?? Not really. He was a young guy with potential who they took the time to develop. What about Cassel. He was a backup to Brady, became a starter due to injury and is now the starter in KC. Was he drafted as a backup??

Few if any quarterbacks are taken to be backups unless you are a Peyton Manning. Instead they are taken for development purposes with the idea that they could potentially be the starter one day.

I think Clausen was drafted to compete, not as a backup. Romo and Cassel IMO were not picked up to compete immediately, so I would say yes they were backups. By backup I mean any guy who isn't expected to compete right away. A guy drafted for development purposes would be considered a backup IMO

:iagree: :iagree:

And I would add that it doesn't usually workout. :idea:

Was Aaron Rodgers drafted in the first round to be the backup to Favre?? Of cpurse not. He was drafted to develop behind Favre and eventually take over. Career backups are considered quarterbacks with insufficient talent to start in the NFL on a consistent basis. The guys you are talking about were drafted behind quality starters but have the skill set to become starters just not the experience. Was Tom Brady drafted in the 6th round to backup Bledsoe or was he brought in to develop and eventually replace him.

If Rodgers came in and stank up the place he would have been a bust not a backup who never developed. The same is true of the guys in the second and lower rounds. The issue is only that no one gets up in arms when a late draft pick busts because the liklihood they would do well is much smaller.

I think Clausen was drafted to compete, not as a backup. Romo and Cassel IMO were not picked up to compete immediately, so I would say yes they were backups. By backup I mean any guy who isn't expected to compete right away. A guy drafted for development purposes would be considered a backup IMO

Well with that line of thinking Cam Newton would be drafted to be a backup.

I really want us to draft Cam but I also really hope he doesn't start next season. At the very least not until late next season. :prrr:

Was Aaron Rodgers drafted in the first round to be the backup to Favre?? Of cpurse not. He was drafted to develop behind Favre and eventually take over. Career backups are considered quarterbacks with insufficient talent to start in the NFL on a consistent basis. The guys you are talking about were drafted behind quality starters but have the skill set to become starters just not the experience. Was Tom Brady drafted in the 6th round to backup Bledsoe or was he brought in to develop and eventually replace him.

If Rodgers came in and stank up the place he would have been a bust not a backup who never developed. The same is true of the guys in the second and lower rounds. The issue is only that no one gets up in arms when a late draft pick busts because the liklihood they would do well is much smaller.

Rodgers was drafted to sit until Favre retired or sucked, not to start right away. I consider any guy not drafted to start immediately as a backup. I'm not saying they will never start, but they were drafted with the intent to sit behind another guy. I just have a differing opinion of backups I guess.

upside/potential and expected return are two different things

i'm sure as with most any player that gets drafted they show potential beyond what you'd think their expected production would be, but if Brady had shown the Pats that much when they were scouting him they wouldn't have waited until the 6th. At the time they probably expected him to be your ordinary late round QB

Well with that line of thinking Cam Newton would be drafted to be a backup.

I really want us to draft Cam but I also really hope he doesn't start next season. At the very least not until late next season. :prrr:

If Cam can't compete with Clausen, then I personally don't think he should be the #1 pick. But yes if he isn't drafted to compete for the job right away, then I would consider him a backup.

Archived