• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ron Rivera pays Newton special attention at Pro Day

teeray

More smoke screening!! :willy_nilly: :willy_nilly:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/08/ron-rivera-pays-newton-special-attention-at-pro-day/

Ron Rivera pays Newton special attention at Pro Day

Posted by Evan Silva on March 8, 2011, 4:03 PM EST

Rivera Newton Pic

Auburn quarterback Cam Newton is not expected to commence passing drills for a few hours. But we’ve been watching coverage of the Tigers’ Pro Day since it began at 1:30, and couldn’t help but notice Panthers coach Ron Rivera hovering over Newton at multiple points during the proceedings.

Newton is in a backpack and sweats, and Rivera is in sunglasses and jeans. The two could be seen joking, laughing, and having extensive conversations while Newton’s college teammates participated in drills.

(Special thanks to the Rock Hill Herald‘s Darin Gantt for the above pic.)

Rivera and Newton are obviously on cordial terms, which should only fuel belief that Newton is going to be the Panthers’ pick at No. 1 in the draft. Rivera made it a point to be around Newton frequently on Tuesday.

LOL Darin Gantt is all over this guy.

From watching the broadcast he didn't seem to be watching his workout very closely at all. He is also not the best judge of offensive talent by his own admission. I have a hard time believing his QB coach wouldn't be there for a guy they were pretty sure about. Especially to go watch Mallet run a forty in 3 days 45 minutes and 6 seconds.

What is the point of putting up a "smoke screen" if you are the first pick? You have no one to deceive.

no one to deceive yet everyone to decieve. That is the genius of this smokescreen.....

From watching the broadcast he didn't seem to be watching his workout very closely at all. He is also not the best judge of offensive talent by his own admission. I have a hard time believing his QB coach wouldn't be there for a guy they were pretty sure about. Especially to go watch Mallet run a forty in 3 days 45 minutes and 6 seconds.

I think he also was on record saying it wasn't about what he thought from this point forward......Chud's opinion was more important going forward.

What is the point of putting up a "smoke screen" if you are the first pick? You have no one to deceive.

I guess you and I are the retarded ones who can't understand how it all works, because I agree with you.

I'm sure somebody will show up and explain to us retards how NFL psy-ops really work though.:rolleyes:

First, obviously Rivera likes the guy. But his meetings with him could be happening to try to increase Newton's likelihood of being drafted at #1 in order to generate interest in a trade.

The smoke screen at #1 thing goes like this:

1) We want to generate interest in the #1 pick to potentially get a nice trade from someone else. It's not that we want to fool people into passing on a guy, totally the opposite.

2)In order to do this, though, someone needs to actually think we'd take the person they want, or they'd just trade with Denver or someone after them.

3) So in the case of Cam Newton, we talk about him. A ton... but of course, we also do our homework on him, because hey, maybe he is the guy we take. Either way, you make sure teams know you're considering it.

2) Therefore, if a team wants to have a guaranteed shot at Newton, they're going to need to trade with us to get him.

If we show no obvious interest, they may think we aren't interested in drafting him. After all, we did spend our first pick of last year's draft on a quarterback, we have a defensive head coach, have huge holes at DT and other needs than just QB.. add to that the various "popular perceptions" about the kind of player we'd bring in (either not wanting to pay someone high profile OR character concerns) and I think it'd make sense for us to talk him up.

Archived