• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers to draft Cam Newton

venom

I will man up and say I was wrong for not wanting Cam. I wasn't a harsh vocal critic of him in these forums, I didn't really get into it with anyone. I would voice my concerns from time to time after the Gruden interview and accuracy concerns.

But you guys we're right and I was wrong (along with most football fans) and I really hope this thing continues in the direction it's going and I can't remember if I ever was this excited to be a Panthers fan with the exception of the Super Bowl and the day the Panthers became an NFL organization.

<3

I dont have a problem with people who thought Cam would be a bad QB. Obviously they were wrong, but there were certainly some questions about him heading into the draft. He only started 1 year at a D1 school, played in a pretty simple offense and ran the ball a lot. Those traits dont usually translate well to the NFL, even though now its easy to go back and explain all the concerns. Heck, you could have explained all the concerns back then, but people posting on fan message boards arent draft experts.

Of course, the draft experts who dismissed his potential and thought he would be a bust I have no respect for- they are either lazy and did no research on the guy, or they are just incompetent.

Honestly I think if a lot of us had access to the kind of stuff the FO did, then we might have made the same decision. They actually got to meet him and look at his work more in depth than any of us could have.

I was never big on drafting any QB, but it has really paid off for us so far. I'm glad for that.

Look, I was wrong too. But at least majority came back and said so and rallied behind our QB. The ones that didn't either disappeared or trolled the boards because we all know that the only thing that matters in life is E-REP!!!!

I can look like a fool with out guessing what the Panthers will do in every draft. I have no control or input in thier decisions, so I supoport what they do and hope they take the right players.

bo jackson is the only one who believed in him. and dont forget warren moon taught him some tricks and chris weinke helped him(ken dorsey helped him too i think..). newton had a willngness to learn the qb position, constanly picking experienced qbs brains. newton did well because he studied tape/playbook and worked hard like an over acheiver. then he has the body type and talent to back him up.

combine those two and you might be looking at a superbowl winning hall of fame player. most impressive is no offseason but it showed he lacked experience in the close games and not winning without a defense. you can win in the regular season without d if you are an elite qb but someone with a better d usually beats you in the playoffs......

i think cam is another tom, peyton and rodgers....meaning he will catch on quick and become a winner real fast(superbowl?) with consistent success. cam's offense should be in the top 5 next year, just better in the 2nd half, which i have seen improve a little.

also cam is not fast but he has a burst of quickness when it comes to gametime that rivals dj's(i know dw) speed.

I can look like a fool with out guessing what the Panthers will do in every draft. I have no control or input in thier decisions, so I supoport what they do and hope they take the right players.

The second that Cam was drafted I supported him and I have supported him ever since... I don't mind being wrong about him and I'm glad I was.

I dont have a problem with people who thought Cam would be a bad QB. Obviously they were wrong, but there were certainly some questions about him heading into the draft. He only started 1 year at a D1 school, played in a pretty simple offense and ran the ball a lot. Those traits dont usually translate well to the NFL, even though now its easy to go back and explain all the concerns. Heck, you could have explained all the concerns back then, but people posting on fan message boards arent draft experts.

Of course, the draft experts who dismissed his potential and thought he would be a bust I have no respect for- they are either lazy and did no research on the guy, or they are just incompetent.

What Cam did in his year at Blinn and then at Auburn is pretty much what he's doing with the Panthers'....whatever is asked of him as a QB. I don't understand what was so hard about that to understand. Most QBs are limited and need the team receivers to step up their game to help them look good. Even when those QBs are being bragged about by our media as being strong and athletic.

The bottomline is, very few of them can do what Cam is doing consistantly and successfully. And I strongly believe those in our media knew that but wanted to play down Cam's talent by jumping on whatever little flaw they might find with his game. Cam has always been a throw first QB who runs when he has too.

And honestly, I really feel that what him and The Golden Calf of Bristol really do have in common is their work ethics. They both will do whatever it takes for them to improve and their team to win.

bo jackson is the only one who believed in him. and dont forget warren moon taught him some tricks and chris weinke helped him(ken dorsey helped him too i think..). newton had a willngness to learn the qb position, constanly picking experienced qbs brains. newton did well because he studied tape/playbook and worked hard like an over acheiver. then he has the body type and talent to back him up.

combine those two and you might be looking at a superbowl winning hall of fame player. most impressive is no offseason but it showed he lacked experience in the close games and not winning without a defense. you can win in the regular season without d if you are an elite qb but someone with a better d usually beats you in the playoffs......

i think cam is another tom, peyton and rodgers....meaning he will catch on quick and become a winner real fast(superbowl?) with consistent success. cam's offense should be in the top 5 next year, just better in the 2nd half, which i have seen improve a little.

also cam is not fast but he has a burst of quickness when it comes to gametime that rivals dj's(i know dw) speed.

Part of me hated how the media treated him during his days at Auburn and hated even more how they intentionally stereotyped him to feed the masses. But when it's all said and done, what doesn't break you, strenghtens you. The only way to tell what a person is really made of is to put them through the fire. Cam has gone through the fire and came out a better and stronger person than before, IMO.

Many college athlete would break under the media scrutiny Cam went through. And sometimes, not really knowing what these QBs are made of and how they will handle adversity until it's to late isn't always a good thing. At least you guys know what Cam is made of and how he will handle adversity.

i think a lot of people doubted cam because we, the average fan, aren't privy to certain information. months before the draft we had no idea WHO cam newton was. we didn't know about his drive to be the best, his work ethic or his leadership qualities because the media twisted just about everything there was to twist about him.

that being said, i wanted to draft him and i thought he was going to be a stud :cam:.

i remember debating with friends about this, and i projected his statline for the season to be something like 3200 total yards, 24 total touchdowns and 15 picks. obviously he exceeded those expectations

I remembered reading on a Charlotte sports site, the editor arguing with some fans to give Cam a chance. Many were so whipped into a fear frenzy over Cam being a Panther by our rabal rousing media that someone wanted to create tee-shirts and hand them out stating they didn't want Cam on their team. I wonder where are those folks now.

Simply had to shake my head.

Archived