• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Losing Weight without losing muscle (the little I have)

The Saltman

all about metabolism, if you are shooting for weight loss and getting rid of the gut. once you start nailing your targeted heart rate, your body more effectively burns calories and you get the balance right. the body goes and gets the right amount of carbs or protiens to burn and use and you get to a point that even when you are chilling, you are burning cals.

personally, i would make your first 45-60 days mainly about eating better, upping the cardio and focus on your core and getting balance. by balance i mean symetry with your back muscles, shoulders etc.

all about metabolism, if you are shooting for weight loss and getting rid of the gut. once you start nailing your targeted heart rate, your body more effectively burns calories and you get the balance right. the body goes and gets the right amount of carbs or protiens to burn and use and you get to a point that even when you are chilling, you are burning cals.

personally, i would make your first 45-60 days mainly about eating better, upping the cardio and focus on your core and getting balance. by balance i mean symetry with your back muscles, shoulders etc.

Ya this is what ive mostly read. focusing on balance Ive seen plenty workouts that consist of deadlifts and squats. problem is I dont have any barbells.

omg u r so fat...

move to central NC and come play some bball with me and bleys...

That's what I'm trying to get going as my cardio... plus doing some walking/jogging... I'll hit the weight bench later when my metabolism balances out...

I know im not fat. But I probably have one of the biggest beer guts imaginable.

On Fridays its free to bring a friend to the Y.

Come to Charlotte on Fridays and you can come to the Y with me to my classes, they are really starting to make a difference.

I know you have time constraints with the little one and your wife's crazy work schedule, but you can always go running outside or something before you go in and use your weights.

The biggest thing for me in December when I realized I was too fat to fit into my new year's eve dress was tracking calories. I have never been a person who watches what they eat b/c my metabolism has always been so high.

Get on a free website that helps you track your calories and see exactly what it is you are eating. Its not until you face yourself with all the snacking put together that you realize how much of a fatass you are being. Now I have changed my eating habits, not too drastically, but mixed with regular exercise, its helping a lot.

Also, your cardio (which we have established is what you need at least for the early part of your weight loss regimine, paired with a good diet) is counterproductive to your weight training. Cardio, and running specifically, release cortisol, which cuts muscle mass to make you leaner.

My husband was right where you are weight wise a couple months ago. He is 5'10 though. He's down to 169ish and gained a lot of muscle. He watched his calorie intake, i think he as eating less than 1800 a day, and by doing P90X which is basically 2-3 days of cardio and then weights the rest of the time. He works out 6 days a week. His weight fell off fast and most of it was in his stomach.

What he did sounds similar to your plan and it worked for him so good luck :)

umm boo you know its a 4 hour drive to charlotte from ATL right?

and?

pstall is right about the balance though. One of the classes I take it like a toning and balance class, a lot of squats with weights and doing the step up thingy with the weights. Helps to improve your balance and strengthen the muscles in your legs and back. 15 minutes of abs and then 45 minutes of balance and toning.

Its mostly women but I think you would fit right in.

Also, your cardio (which we have established is what you need at least for the early part of your weight loss regimine, paired with a good diet) is counterproductive to your weight training. Cardio, and running specifically, release cortisol, which cuts muscle mass to make you leaner.

how counterproductive is running for 30 min while keeping my heart rate steady to weight training? I'm not planning on running a marathon ;)

Archived