• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I came to a realization today...

Ricky Spanish

Ok, so i looked into next years projected QB class for the draft.

Based on stats, Newton had one of the best years compared to any of the top prospects.

Best single season stats:

Newton: 185 / 280 66% completion rate. 2854 yards. 30 TD / 7 INT

------

Kirk Cousins: 338 / 226 66% 2825 yards. 20TD / 10 INT

Ryan Lindley: 421 / 243 57% 3830 yards. 28TD / 14 INT

Terrelle Pryor: 323 / 210 65% 2772 yards. 27TD / 11INT

Bandon Weeden: 511 / 342 66% 4277 yards. 34TD / 13INT

Nick Foles: 426 / 286 67% 3191 yards. 20TD / 10INT

------

So here it is. Based on single best season, Newton compares well. And based on a previous season, these QB's have improved. A Couple had breakout years, a couple more were pretty consistent.

Rushing however, Newton wins.

Only Terrelle Pryor challenges Newton here, with a single season best of:

162 attempts 779 yard 7TD

Newton managed: 264 attempts 1473 yards 20TD

Pretty decent. Newton compares well with next years prospects in throwing and accuracy, while also being by far the best mobile QB out of all of them.

If Carolina is going to draft a QB, they better do it now.

*Also, I wanted to create a new thread to post this data, but it apparently I am unable to post new topics. If someone could help me out about that it would be great. Thanks!

Ok, so i looked into next years projected QB class for the draft.

Based on stats, Newton had one of the best years compared to any of the top prospects.

Best single season stats:

Newton: 185 / 280 66% completion rate. 2854 yards. 30 TD / 7 INT

------

Kirk Cousins: 338 / 226 66% 2825 yards. 20TD / 10 INT

Ryan Lindley: 421 / 243 57% 3830 yards. 28TD / 14 INT

Terrelle Pryor: 323 / 210 65% 2772 yards. 27TD / 11INT

Bandon Weeden: 511 / 342 66% 4277 yards. 34TD / 13INT

Nick Foles: 426 / 286 67% 3191 yards. 20TD / 10INT

------

So here it is. Based on single best season, Newton compares well. And based on a previous season, these QB's have improved. A Couple had breakout years, a couple more were pretty consistent.

Rushing however, Newton wins.

Only Terrelle Pryor challenges Newton here, with a single season best of:

162 attempts 779 yard 7TD

Newton managed: 264 attempts 1473 yards 20TD

Pretty decent. Newton compares well with next years prospects in throwing and accuracy, while also being by far the best mobile QB out of all of them.

If Carolina is going to draft a QB, they better do it now.

*Also, I wanted to create a new thread to post this data, but it apparently I am unable to post new topics. If someone could help me out about that it would be great. Thanks!

College Stat = Pointless if not used with reason and objectivity... I can pull past heisman winner stats and stats of those who did not make it to or in the NFL that were great.... You can also pull stats of numerous NFL QB's who are successful that had decent but not off the chart stats in the NCAA.

Um OK, then how do you even formulate an opinion? At all?

I never said these stats are the absolute reason why we should draft Newton, I said based on these stats of Newton and next years projected QB's, Newton compares well with them.

Jeez guy, you have to look at some kind of information to make an opinion on a draft prospect, why wouldn't college stats be important?

College Stat = Pointless if not used with reason and objectivity...

This is such absurd BS... I'm so sick of reading it.

Please... ANYONE... find me ONE Franchise QB, who had crappy stats in college, and this might make sense.

Yes... good college QBs don't translate all the time...

But terrible, or even average college QBs, do NOT become superstars.

Awesome college stats isn't a guarrantee... but it means... WORTHY OF THE RISK.

I never said these stats are the absolute reason why we should draft Newton, I said based on these stats of Newton and next years projected QB's, Newton compares well with them.

Jeez guy, you have to look at some kind of information to make an opinion on a draft prospect, why wouldn't college stats be important?

Cause people want clones of Peyton fuging Manning. No one thinks that a #1 drafted QB is worth it, unless everyone and their brother is saying pull the trigger.

With the media blitz against Newton, there are "all these red flags", so all these conservative thinkers are scared to death of him coming here. Even though a majority of it is false, and what is true is either way behind him, or didn't REALLY amount to anything... it doesn't matter. People are scared. Totally afraid.

If we pick Dareus... expect a run like Houston. Missing the playoffs for years... being on the threshold of good. But never being great. Not a knock on Dareus. He's good. Will probably be like Mario Williams good. But you don't wash the floors in a burning house. You take care of the biggest problem first.

What I said was...

College Stat = Pointless if not used with reason and objectivity... I can pull past heisman winner stats and stats of those who did not make it to or in the NFL that were great.... You can also pull stats of numerous NFL QB's who are successful that had decent but not off the chart stats in the NCAA.

I don't know if you looked at stats to figure the top prospects for next year but those aren;t even the top prospects.... Right now they are Luck, L. Jones, and Barkley.

What I am saying is that Cam's stats are going to compare well to most... Say as other past heisman winners who never made it to the NFL..

If you are going to compare you need to use more than stats....

What kind of system are they coming from? Size? Mechanics? Ability to make quick reads? Ability to learn a pro system? Ability to make NFL throws on the money.... those types of things come in to play.... Any anaylsis based solely on stats is flawed

This is such absurd BS... I'm so sick of reading it.

Please... ANYONE... find me ONE Franchise QB, who had crappy stats in college, and this might make sense.

Yes... good college QBs don't translate all the time...

But terrible, or even average college QBs, do NOT become superstars.

Awesome college stats isn't a guarrantee... but it means... WORTHY OF THE RISK.

Once again read what I said.... Where did I say Franchise QB's with crappy stats??? I'm pretty sure I said decent.

And what I said was we can not use stats alone with out looking at everything else and I can name college players who put up great numbers that did not make it to or in the NFL

Cause people want clones of Peyton fuging Manning. No one thinks that a #1 drafted QB is worth it, unless everyone and their brother is saying pull the trigger.

With the media blitz against Newton, there are "all these red flags", so all these conservative thinkers are scared to death of him coming here. Even though a majority of it is false, and what is true is either way behind him, or didn't REALLY amount to anything... it doesn't matter. People are scared. Totally afraid.

If we pick Dareus... expect a run like Houston. Missing the playoffs for years... being on the threshold of good. But never being great. Not a knock on Dareus. He's good. Will probably be like Mario Williams good. But you don't wash the floors in a burning house. You take care of the biggest problem first.

His response was directed at me, and I never said Cam has any red flags... I've been on the draft Cam bandwagon for months, but as of lately I have noticed legitimate concerns.

You may have mystical powers and know the guy is a homerun, but some of us have seen things that makes us wary.

I WANT A damn franchise QB!! But we can;t make one if it's not there... Lately I am unsure if Cam is one.... Or will be within his first 4-5 years.

As I said before, I believe the kid wants to learn and will work hard... but he has a damn long way to go. I realized on the white board with gruden he was further behind than I thought he should be....

Working hard and having great work ethics are not always enough in the NFL... See Brady Quinn.... everyone who worked with him said that kids gives it everything, but it's not enough to have everything click.

It is because some people here and in the general population have a strong bias against running QB's. How can I say that with any conviction? Because I shared that same bias.

When Luck made his decision, I initially thought Fairley was the best pick. As people started throwing around Newton's name, I made it a point to do some research. The more I saw the more I liked and am now convinced he is the BPA in this draft.

But many do not have the time or inclination to thoroughly look at the various prospects. So start with the running QB bias, throw in the one-year-wonder tag, sprinkle in some overblown character concerns, and the result is people do not even give him a fair evaluation.

For people with those biases coming into the debate, nothing you or I can say will ever change their minds. And who knows, they may be right and we may be wrong.

The only certain thing in this discussion is the Panthers desperately need a QB, and until we get one, the team will continue in the NFC South basement.

His response was directed at me, and I never said Cam has any red flags... I've been on the draft Cam bandwagon for months, but as of lately I have noticed legitimate concerns.

You may have mystical powers and know the guy is a homerun, but some of us have seen things that makes us wary.

I WANT A damn franchise QB!! But we can;t make one if it's not there... Lately I am unsure if Cam is one.

As I said before, I believe the kid wants to learn and will work hard... but he has a damn long way to go. I realized on the white board with gruden he was further behind than I thought he should be....

Working hard and having great work ethics are not always enough in the NFL... See Brady Quinn.... everyone who worked with him said that kids gives it everything, but it's not enough to have everything click.

First off, I don't mean to come off as frosty to you. I know you aren't anti-Cam.

It's just been I've been defending Newton for over 4 months now, and now that were almost there, and the majority of people on the Huddle are on board, it's hard to read the continued negativity from the vocal minority on this board.

To that point... I don't know that Newton is a homerun. I don't know that Dareus is a homerun. I don't know that Green, or Peterson, or Gabbert, or Miller are busts or are golden.

No one does.

But Mel Kiper had us taking Newton #1 at one point, and he sums it up perfectly...

Kiper's Big board as of 4/6/2011

Carolina Panthers

Record: 2-14

* Cam Newton, QB, Auburn

There are immediate needs, and there is a decision that you believe will change the direction of your franchise for years to come. While I don't believe Carolina is locked onto this pick -- if you're heard me at all lately, you'll know I see this is one of the more unpredictable top 10's I can ever remember -- if they really see Newton as the transformative player that can be both a Pro Bowl quarterback and face of the franchise who draws a lot of buzz, they can make this pick. If talent alone was all they were concerned with, Newton would be an easy choice. But this pick also requires a belief in his development and maturity. Certainly, however, Newton's potential is significant.

Immediate Need

Change Direction

Talent alone

Easy choice

That's all you have to consider about Newton. Anything else is completely subjective crap.

And as I said in a post earlier... if we Draft Cam #1 Overall I will be excited... To me that says the coaching staff has spent time with him and believes he can learn what he needs to get the job done, but by drafting Cam he will play a big role in how they are evaluated as a coaching staff (as unfair as that maybe this is the reality of the NFL).

Archived