• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Flipside of Gilbert

Mr. Scot

Actually, the comparison I made between Peppers and Gilbert wasn't based on personality, although it would be valid to say that both are a little offbeat.

The similarity at the heart of the discussion though is that both are disgruntled players slapped with the franchise tag by a team posturing that it wants the full package of compensation.

As mentioned in the original post, there's no indication at this point that Peppers is willing to go the route Gilbert did, sitting out entire seasons.

Buuuut, stranger things have happened.

Thats pretty smart of him to say. Because it never helps if you keep trying to defense yourself.

BTW Washington still has a product from the gilbert trade. They have Portis.

Indirectly. The Gilbert deal got them Champ Bailey. A few years down the road they traded him to the Broncos for Clinton Portis.

For the record, the Panthers passed on Clinton Portis to take DeShaun Foster.

(this after passing on Eddie George to take Tshimanga Biakabutuka)

Indirectly. The Gilbert deal got them Champ Bailey. A few years down the road they traded him to the Broncos for Clinton Portis.

For the record, the Panthers passed on Clinton Portis to take DeShaun Foster.

(this after passing on Eddie George to take Tshimanga Biakabutuka)

But Biakabutuka had more potential than Eddie George at that time. Didn't turn out that way, but at the time it was a good decision. I can decide on the two in real time, not retrospective. :lol:

Certainly not trying to undermine you in any way my friend...

But Biakabutuka had more potential than Eddie George at that time. Didn't turn out that way, but at the time it was a good decision. I can decide on the two in real time, not retrospective. :lol:

Certainly not trying to undermine you in any way my friend...

What always bugged me about that was George fit so much better into the kind of offense that Capers wanted to run, and there were warning signs with Biakabutuka.

One of the more memorable scenes in all the years of Panther drafts: ESPN asking Bill Polian if he had any concerns about Biakabutuka's durability.

Polian's complete, unabridged answer: "None" :sosp:

Archived