• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Official Panthers Site acknowledges Carolina Huddle with a nudge.

thunderraiden

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Panthers-make-Newton-top-pick/68fd859a-41b4-45c3-affd-87edc2068d47

CHARLOTTE - From the airwaves to Internet message boards and throughout the offices of the Carolina Panthers, a staggering number of words were devoted to Cam Newton leading up to the NFL Draft.

Thursday night, when Newton finally got word that the Panthers were making him the No. 1 overall pick, it nearly left him speechless.

"I'm trying to find a word to express how I feel but I keep coming up short," said Newton, who won the Heisman Trophy and the national championship as Auburn's quarterback in 2010. "I'm really looking forward to making Charlotte my home. I'm ready to change this whole organization around, to go from worst to first."

The Panthers held the first pick by virtue of their 2-14 record last season, but general manager Marty Hurney and head coach Ron Rivera believe they took a major step toward distancing themselves from the top pick in future drafts with the selection of a quarterback that can be a game-changer.

Archived