• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ne1 excited about the uncapped year thats coming?

thunderraiden

First thing is every team will have three tags next season that they can use.

You have the Final 8 rule to take into effect. -

The final 8 rule restricts the final eight teams in the playoffs from signing free agents. The final four teams shall not be permitted to negotiate and sign any unrestricted free agent to a player contract except for players who acquired their status by being cut or were on the final four team when their contract expired. Playoff teams five thru eight get a break to sign one player with a salary of $4,925,000 or more and any number of players with a first-year salary of no more than $3,275,000 and an annual increase of no more than 30 percent in the following years.

There is a mechanism to permit the final eight teams to sign an unrestricted free agent for each one of their own unrestricted free agents who sign with another club as long as they don't spend more than what their own lost player received from his new club.

I actually do not like the current cap and draft system as it stands. I also don't like the idea of not having anything in place either. The Panthers are a small market team but the team has/makes money. The Panthers would probably be in the top ten in money available. So from that standpoint I wouldn't be that concerned.

Where I would think the biggest issue would come from are the two teams currently not making money, Buffalo and Jacksonville, and teams that just don't like to spend money, like Tampa and Cinncinatti. Buffalo would most likely move to Toranto and IMO Jacksonville, with Tampa and Miami already in state, would probably be moved to L.A. Some other teams would probably end up moving as well.

Everyone always points to baseball as a sign of things to come without a cap. The problem I have with this comparison is that baseball is nothing like football. At most a baseball team has 30 players on their roster. No owner of any sports team would be able to pay out contracts like in baseball to a 53 man roster. Baseball also has a minor league system which allows them to develop talent without taking up roster spots. The NFL does not have a minor league system so players coming out of college would not see the big play day and end up having to prove themselves in training camp just to keep a roster spot. Not mention that baseball has the power to earn more money over a very long season in which to fund their teams. The NFL makes most of its money not on games but rather TV rights which would still be shared among the teams. I seriously doubt any NFL owner is going to go on multiple spending sprees using their personal money, just won't happen.

As for college players, you are correct that a draft isn't absolute but the owners can choose to have a draft without a CBA in place. The difference? Rookies would have no leverage in contract negotiations and they would no longer have free agency. Thats right, with a CBA no longer in place owners would no longer have to allow players to become free agents at the end of their contracts. Rookies would also have the option of not declaring for the draft and enter into the NFL as undrafted free agents. However, the owners can still enforce a draft mandate if they collectively choose to and the NFLPA could do nothing to stop them as rookie are not apart of the NFLPA until they sign their first contract.

There are a lot of changes that will take place if no agreement is reached.

I for one believe that we will see an uncapped 2010 season. However, I believe a new CBA will be reached soon after that involves a cap with the draft and restrictions on free agency like the ones already in place for the uncapped year. Players and agents should also be careful what they wish for. As of now the players are entitled to a certain percentage of the income the NFL earns. Without the CBA, they are not gaurenteed this and salaries on average could take a nosedive without the CBA.

I find it hard to take anyone seriously who types "ne1" in the title of a thread.

Ditto.

Besides, there will be no uncapped years. The owners and players will reach some kind of deal this year to extend the CBA. How long it is extended for will depend on whether they reach an agreement on a rookie pay scale.

Archived