• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Building a tree house - carpentry questions

g5jamz

LOL. "Free candy" on the side of his treehouse?

What do you mean "double the outside 2x8"...or should I just go 2x10. Like I said...the eng beam is just extra that's just sitting in my backyard not doing anything.

I have a spare pole from chain link fence I was going to put as a fireman's pole, but I do have a fort piece I'd built from an old play area that I'm considering running a rope bridge to link the two.

Ok picture your 4/4 posts in the ground. Now picture your rectangle 2/8s all around. Those are what you'll connect your joists to right? Well they will need to be doubled, just like on your outside deck. Doubled, its code. Even if you use 2/10s it would still need to be doubled. Ok now think about this. If you use only one 2/8 or 2/10, when you attach your joists the nails will poke thru the other side. You don't want that, its dangerous. So doubling is important.

Ok picture your 4/4 posts in the ground. Now picture your rectangle 2/8s all around. Those are what you'll connect your joists to right? Well they will need to be doubled, just like on your outside deck. Doubled, its code. Even if you use 2/10s it would still need to be doubled. Ok now think about this. If you use only one 2/8 or 2/10, when you attach your joists the nails will poke thru the other side. You don't want that, its dangerous. So doubling is important.

Ah...I gotcha. So the 2x8 or 2x10 that's the outer side on the joist holding side needs to have an outer and inner board.

As far as the 4x4s...I'll make sure they're straight. I'll run some mason cord for the corners and make sure it's vertical both sides. I'm anal like that. Hopefully being 8 ft off the ground would give me a little (although not much) play to work with.

Hidden

this brings back memories..

around the age of 13, a few of my friends and I "borrowed" a lot of wood from various new housing projects to build a pimp tree house back in the day.. 3 floors, 3rd was enclosed with plywood from the outside, and could open a hatch through the roof to stand on the top around 30 feet in the air..

took 2 weeks of at least 3 hours a day to build that damn thing... then we proceeded to smoke it out as our "house warming party". :)

this brings back memories..

around the age of 13, a few of my friends and I "borrowed" a lot of wood from various new housing projects to build a pimp tree house back in the day.. 3 floors, 3rd was enclosed with plywood from the outside, and could open a hatch through the roof to stand on the top around 30 feet in the air..

took 2 weeks of at least 3 hours a day to build that damn thing... then we proceeded to smoke it out as our "house warming party". :)

Beginning the design now. Couple of decent trees to use, but I may just choose to use 4 10' 4X4 posts and put the rectangle around the tree and use it as internal entry. Put 2' of posts into ground and concrete them. Or should I bother with putting a galvanized screw cap in the concrete if I ever need to replace a post.

Sometimes I overanalyze things.

Few other questions. Would you use 2x8s for the outside rectangle around the posts and 2x6s for the flooring across hanging off the 2x8s.

Would the 5/4 deck boards be sufficient or should I use 2x4 flooring for more stability?

What's the distance code says you can go for a 2x8? Imagine the rectangle posts. Can I go 10 or 12 feet with a 2x8 post to post without worrying about supporting it midway? I have an engineered beam left over from construction from an addition and could use it underneath at the mid point and lag it to the tree, but could I get by without it?

2x8/2x10 band board is good. I'd use the plain ol' decking plywood/OSB over 2x4's.

Keep in mind that trees grow up and out, so cementing any posts to the ground and attaching them to the outer band board is bound to separate at one time or another.

But, yeah... treated lumber, galvanized nails/screws and you're good to go. Is this a long term home?

My only question is can I come stay with you when the Zombie apocalypse rapture begins.

I posses a solid foundation of 1 year of cubs scout and I do own a crossbow. The crossbow is, however, broken and cannot be fixed.

I also have a plentiful supply of toilet paper (I have IBS) which will no doubt replace cash as our currency when the rapture begins.

Patience is one of our primary skills.

Also' date=' did we ever establish if zombies can climb??[/quote']

We do climb and know how to cut zip lines.

Meh. Won't help.

Archived