• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

what would you do?

Hawk

So I take it this is the wife's cat?

oldest daughter. She moved out and couldn't take the cat with her.

Take her to the bathtub and let her slip down the drain. Works like a charm.

I read that and I too measured....no fit

I just lost my 18 year old cat a couple weeks ago. He was in very bad shape but passed away in his sleep thankfully. Its a tough call, if it can barely walk around and can't eat it might be time to gracefully end its life. If it is still walking around by itself and throws up from time to time I'd say have a room it stays in with food and water and some form of bedding.

I can't imagine the cat isn't suffering.

The real question is, what does wifey want to do?

if my wife had it her way, this cat and my youngest daughter's cat and both my dogs would be gone forever!!!!

Sounds like the kitty has hyperthyroidism or some other metabolic disorder and is on the way down if she's lost weight, can't eat or hold food down and can't control her bowels. It could be pancreatitis. A vet trip seems like the right thing to do because frankly, if you couldn't hold food down and was throwing up and pooing all over the place - you would be going to a doctor to see what is wrong. Being old or inconvenient doesn't mean you deserve to be put down. I spent a year and half nursing a cat who had hyperthyroidism and suffered multiple bouts of pancreatitis. Eventually putting him to sleep was the merciful thing but that was only when the vet indicated it was time and the appropriate action to take. You might not be a cat lover, but it doesn't mean you should just cast off the animal. At least take the cat to the vet and find out if she really is sick. It sounds like she is. You can at least make a better choice knowing what she's up against with the changes you're experiencing.

yup...and I have two cats in my house, so I'm clearly not a cat hater...although, dogs are clearly far superior.

I shall take her to my vet and see what she says...she's pretty honest and will give it to me straight

If she's bone thin...it sounds like how my kitty was before the end. Not pretty but they still have some quality of life. I love dogs too and it's going to be a sad day in my family when some of the older ones start to get sick and lose themselves. We're close to it starting with one of the dogs and I know my family is going to be trainwrecked to lose the first one. My family pets are like family members...sometimes you can't live with them but you also can't live without them.

Unless the cat is suffering, I wouldn't put it down. You made a committment to that animal when you decided to be its parent. Don't put the cat down just because it pukes and craps on your floor and that incoveniences you.

Again, if the cat is suffering then sure it's time to say goodbye. But otherwise, to ask a group of people if it's acceptable to end your pets life because their daily puke inconveniences you does, in my opinion, make you sound a little bit like a cold hearted f*ck (your words not mine).

i agree with your stance, but puking and shitting on a daily basis is more than an inconvenience for the human, and completely impossible to not be miserable for the cat. sounds like it's time for the shot

i think you've answered your own question hawk

Archived