• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Franchise Tag

rko396

What is the trade value of the franchise tag? as often as it's stated that 2 first round draft picks are needed for a trade to happen, it has never worked out that way. New England franchised Cassel and then traded him AND another player for not even ONE first round pick. it wasn't like KC gave them a first and second and Bob Kraft said "Ok, close enough", New England gave them an extra man and still didnt recieve even half of the "value" of the tag. So why does anything think Pep is going to be any different? the vlue assigned to the tag is a joke since obviously owners can accept any trade they want. If the Giants offer a 7th round pick for Pep and we take it (obviously sarcasm) then thats perfectly within the rule book. so basically, theres no value assigned to the tag at all. its just like any other trade where as long as there is a mutual agreement, the transaction will take place.

I dont understand why the Pats "undersold" Cassell? It could be Pioli "hooking himself up" considering he almost executed the whole deal himself. (ex pats gm, now kc gm)

what kind of a discount do you give a guy who got you respected amoung the NFL and 3 SB rings?

However, Carolina will get more for Pep. QB's are a much greater risk anyways.

2 first rounders are the "by the book" asking price, but when a team "ownes the rights" of a player whats to stop them from reaching a deal they are comfortable?

I thinks Pep will come atleast with 1 1st rounder and another late pick, or that and a very high 2nd.

undersold doesn't even begin to describe it. belichick must just be hookin up Pioli like you said, but thats still crazy. Living in New York, I have seen prolly 12-13 of the Patriots games this year and Cassel looks pretty good in a system that even David Carr could thrive in. But still what a deal that was for KC. When I heard about it on the radio as it unfolded, i heard the 2nd round draft pick part and waited to hear the rest. then i realized that was it and my mouth dropped along with (in my mind) Pepper's value. I know QB and DE and prolly the 2 most opposite positions on the field but theres no way a franchised player going for a second round pick is going to help us

2 first rounders is the price for a team to take a player without the other teams permission. It all depends on what the team losing the player wants for him. In our case I dont see less than 1 first rounder and another pick for Peppers.

Well if you do a little more research on the deal, BB may have actually snookered Pioli on this one.

It's starting to sound like Cassel may have caught Belicheat with his pants down, he signed the franchise tag, and may not be willing to re-work for anyone as part of a trade sticking the Patriots with a 14.65 million dollar bench warmer.

When you think about it 14.65 million guaranteed is a nice paycheck for a seventh rounder who may not be good enough to cut it. He's cashing in right now.... his reluctance to negotiate made him mostly untradable.

By trading Vrabel and Cassel as a package BB was able to clear 17 million off the books and pick up a second rounder in the process..... Brilliant!

No no, i completly understand why the PAt's did it. that was questioned at all. i was just curious as to why they jumped at the first offer even tho it was only one second round pick. they could have gotten much more. so many teams are a QB away from being a contender, I just thought that if when the tag was giving a few weeks ago, if u said Cassel AND another player for one second round pick, you woulda felt like that was a steal for the cheifs. hell, for just a second round pick, we shoulda thought about jumping

No no, i completly understand why the PAt's did it. that was questioned at all. i was just curious as to why they jumped at the first offer even tho it was only one second round pick. they could have gotten much more. so many teams are a QB away from being a contender, I just thought that if when the tag was giving a few weeks ago, if u said Cassel AND another player for one second round pick, you woulda felt like that was a steal for the cheifs. hell, for just a second round pick, we shoulda thought about jumping

No team in their right mind would want him without signing him to a long term deal. His only obligation to the team that acquired him (the Chiefs) is one year at 14.65 million. For that matter no team would sign him for 10 million per year (other reports say that's what he's asking).

His salary demands may have made him untradable so no reason to hold out for a better offer that isn't coming.

So that is the offical value of the tag? (Using the Panthers ofr example) if a team offers 2 first rounders then then we must give Pep to that team? i was wondering where that 2 first rounders rule came from cuz thats what everyone talked about and yet I cant remember it ever happening

So that is the offical value of the tag? (Using the Panthers ofr example) if a team offers 2 first rounders then then we must give Pep to that team? i was wondering where that 2 first rounders rule came from cuz thats what everyone talked about and yet I cant remember it ever happening

Under the rules of the CBA a team must receive two first rounders as compensation for a fanchised player, unless the team holding the players rights chooses to trade the player, which they are free to do for anything they want including players, picks, or even cash.

Edit: And yes if a team gives the team holding the players tag two first rounders they are free to offer the player , but the team who holds the tag can match whatever the other team offers.

Pretty much it. We have right to match it but if we dont then the other team has to give up two first rounders.

Yea ive read that last part in many posts but basically what that is saying is "If not 2 first rounders, then you can trade him for anything" so that means its JUST like being traded any other time. there seems to be absolutly NO difference between trading a tagged player and anyone else

Thanks Squirrel, that was the part i never understood. All i ever heard was "Oh Pep is franchised that means automatic two first rounders" yet like i said, that never happens so i was confussed. but thanks again for clearin that up

Well if you do a little more research on the deal, BB may have actually snookered Pioli on this one.

It's starting to sound like Cassel may have caught Belicheat with his pants down, he signed the franchise tag, and may not be willing to re-work for anyone as part of a trade sticking the Patriots with a 14.65 million dollar bench warmer.

When you think about it 14.65 million guaranteed is a nice paycheck for a seventh rounder who may not be good enough to cut it. He's cashing in right now.... his reluctance to negotiate made him mostly untradable.

By trading Vrabel and Cassel as a package BB was able to clear 17 million off the books and pick up a second rounder in the process..... Brilliant!

I've seen that take too.

I do think it's possible that the old "future considerations" thing may have played in here (though unspoken).

Archived