• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Peppers won't be traded at a discount

rayzor

If the #34 pick is truly being offered....and there is no other better offer, I can definitely see the Panthers pulling the trigger and making the trade.

If Peppers stays under the tag, we are handcuffed in salary cap and must sacrifice desperately needed depth. Not to mention that we are in exactly the same spot next season.

You have to remember...you would not just be moving Peppers for the #34 pick. You are moving him for the #34 pick and the 2-3 other players that you could sign in addition to the pick. We need quality OL, DL, and CB depth. With Peppers' $17M tag, that is nearly impossible to achieve.

Not true if we are willing to restructure Smitty and extend Jake we could get the cap to sign our draft picks and still pick up a few guys. Since only the top 53 count against the cap, we could also pick up several for league minimums who might not even count against the cap if they were't long time veterans. Although we don't want to, we could also cut a few guys like Lewis who may not even be ready to play until training camp for someone else who is healthy, as good and perhaps cheaper.

His cap hurts but it isn't insurmountable.

Not true if we are willing to restructure Smitty and extend Jake we could get the cap to sign our draft picks and still pick up a few guys. Since only the top 53 count against the cap, we could also pick up several for league minimums who might not even count against the cap if they were't long time veterans. Although we don't want to, we could also cut a few guys like Lewis who may not even be ready to play until training camp for someone else who is healthy, as good and perhaps cheaper.

I did not say it was insurmoutable...just nearly impossible.

We may be able to restructure some other contracts....which puts us in worse positions in the future. However, that would only free up enough to sign some league mimimum players.....not solid contributors.

I think we could survive with Peppers' cap number. However, it is definitely damaging the overall team.

Peppers is NOT worth $17M this season and/or $20M next season.

Is the top 53 based on salary or cap hit? The reason I ask is because Lucas still has a cap hit even though he isn't on the team and doesn't make a salary. Has nothing to do with the conversation really but I was just curious.

I wouldn't let him go for just one second, but a pair of seconds (especially if one is the 34th pick) would be great. Now I realize a lot of people want firsts but second rounders are still very valuable to GM's because they get much smaller contracts and yet there is still a great deal of talent to be found in the second.

agree on taking the first two 2nds and maybe a 4th (that's still not top 15 value but it's good enough), but because it's good value, not because of salaries. I'd be more than fine with paying a late first rounder this year and the difference is minimal.

I'd actually argue that a player like Gamble (signed late first round) was a lot less difficult against the cap than if he were a high 2nd - which would possibly include going through RFA, or having to sign that 2nd deal early. I mean, it's not like a mid-20s 1st rounder is going to be crippling money.

Archived