• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Pickle eaters ANNOY me!

Falcons1stPanthers2nd

I like to drink the pickle juice after the pickles are gone. They claim that a spoon or two cures heart burn. I tried it and it worked for me.

Side note:

Vinegar is a weak acid, but when compared to the acidic environment of the stomach is more basic than stomach environment. The pH of the human stomach is around 1, it is gets lower than that, heartburn and in the long run, ulcers, will be the result. So drinking vinegar, which has a pH of around 2.9 will make the stomach more "basic", since it will increase the pH to its normal value. That is the reason why the "basic" is written in quotations. The pH scale tells us acidity and basicity. Anything above 7.00 is consider basic, anything below 7.00 is acidic, but in relative terms, a pH of 3.00 is more basic than a pH of 1.00, just like a pH of 10.00 is more acidic than a pH of 14.00. So the article is correct and you are correct. Normally vinegar is acidic but in the context of the pH of the stomach it can be considered to be more basic than its surroundings.

Source(s):

(University Chem Professor)

Archived