• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rank your favorite CURRENT athletes:

Camdemonium

????

What can I say. Colts, Uncle Reggie (Miller). I went to college with Bird, and played a quick game of 2 on 2. A buddy and I met Eric at a card show in Atlanta (He was then the running back for the Colts.) We hung out with him the rest of the day. Pretty cool guy. Not at all what I expected.

"Big" (Don Garlits) has always been an idol of mine. Mainly what he did for Drag Racing and that he was an East Coast guy in a West Coast dominated sport. When he won his first US Nationals in Indy, NHRA made him come back Monday and race the final all over again. Wally Parks couldn't believe that an East Coaster could beat a West Coast drag racer. By God, he did it again! I finally got to meet him about 10 years ago. Great family man.

Tommy John graduated from Indiana State. (Same college and Bird and I. Heck of a college pitcher.) A huge painting of Tommy, hung in the athletic hall. Finally in about 1979, it was replaced with a huge painting of, you guess it. Larry Bird.

Bob Feller was the same was as Eric Dickerson was. I met him at the Grady Cole Center. He was like your Grandfather. Told stories, (I'm not sure they were all true.) a real likeable guy. Joked with everyone. Took the time to talk with people like he had known them, and vice versa.

I forget my True #1!! (I'm getting old!)

Anton "Tony" Hulman! (Owner of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, as well as Terre Haute Coca Cola Bottling, and Glabber Girl Baking Powder. Sat on the board of Directors of Terre Haute First National Bank. etc.) He has/had to be my all time #1! Rescued IMS from a state of disarray. Made it what it is today. Also, was always promoting Terre Haute (Indiana State University and Rose Hulman Institute of Technology.)

I almost ran into him, litterally, walking downtown Terre Haute. I was about 19 years old. I was doing something, looked up and almost ran right over him! He had on his signature grey suit. I looked up and saw him and said, "You're Tony Hulman!" He got a big smile on his face and said, "and you are?" I almost forget my name.

We chated for several minutes and finally he held out his hand and said, "Well Brian, It was a pleasure to meet you." I told him that it was very nice to meet him. A guy who had more money than God, walking to his bank and took some time to chat with me. He has been the only man I ever cried for, when I heard he passed away.

Archived