• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A Look Into 2012

NJPanthers12

I am going to hold off on my opinions on the coaching staff because they are not popular here on these boards. What I do want to talk about is next years team. I have been looking through this roster and the thread with player contracts next year and have been toying around with many ideas. I want to start with the defense. All the players listed are players who I expect back.

Defensive End:

Charles Johnson/Greg Hardy/Antwan Applewhite/Thomas Keiser

I think that we have our four defensive ends for next year already on the roster. Greg Hardy should only continue to improve and Charles Johnson's number should go up as he faces less double teams. I have been extremely impressed with Applewhite and Keiser is a high motor player. Eric Norwood has showed me absolutely nothing and could be on the way out. I think we are set here.

Defensive Tackle:

Ron Edwards/Terrell McClain/Sione Fua/Andre Neblett

Ron Edwards should come in and immediately fill the void at NT. I am not sure how effective he will be coming off a major injury and being up there in age. I do not see the staff giving up on McClain and Fua after spending third round picks on them. Hopefully a whole offseason of a weight training schedule and full mini camp and training camp will help them. I for one think Fua has been useless, but definitely see some potential in McClain. The staff is high on Andre Neblett and I think they will be kept for depth. I know everyone says we need DT help, but unfortunately I feel we are set at DT. We will probably bring in another body for depth but don't see us using a high pick or brining in a big free agent. Frank Kearse is more then likely gone.

Linebackers:

James Anderson/Jon Beason/Jordan Senn

We need tons of help here and I mean tons. I like James Anderson but am starting to think he is overrated here. That TD by Pettigrew was on him today. With that said I still think he is a very capable starter and am happy to have him. Beason should come back and continue where he left off, plus we get the leader of our defense back. The big question is, do we bring Davis back? Would you be willing to let Davis start at a very reduced rate? My opinion is no, but it is the Carolina Panthers were talking about and you know they will give him another opportunity. I think we should spend our second round pick on an OLB and let Davis go. I really like Jordan Senn and can see him being brought back as a key backup and special teamer. I could really care less if Connor is back or not, but I do not know if they will be able to afford him or if Connor is seeking a starting job. The Panthers need to find one starter and 4 quality back ups and special team players. If we bring back Connor that leaves only about 3.

Cornerback:

Chris Gamble/Brandon Hogan/Darius Butler/Captain Munnerlyn

I am in the boat that that Gamble is a number 1 corner and I am happy to have him. I also think Hogan, Butler, and Munnerlyn will all be back next year. I would not be opposed to bringing in Morris Claiborne and playing him opposite of Chris Gamble. I truly believe Claiborne is a better prospect than both Peterson and Mathieu. This probably will not happen because I know the Panthers are high on Hogan. I am not trying to turn this into I have sources, I am just saying. I think the Panthers go into next year with Gamble and Hogan starting with Munnerlyn at the nickel. I really would not be torn if we used a high pick on one, but it is not the Panther way.

Safeties:

Charles Godfrey/Sherrod Martin/Jordan Pugh

Like it or not all three will be back next year. We will probably sign a veteran as our 4th safety. I like Godfrey and think he is improving. I know a lot do not like him but he is our SS for the foreseeable future. Martin has disappointed me this year so far, but I believe he will eventually turn into the FS we all know he has the potential to be.

I think RJ Stanford, Josh Thomas, Eric Norwood, Frank Kearse, Omar Gaither, Jason Phillips, Jason Williams, and Kion Wilson are all gone.

Dan Connor, Thomas Davis, and Thomas Williams are all possibilities of being brought back.

Now looking at the defense as a whole we have 18 players worth keeping and need another DT for depth, 1 starting LB, 4 LB for both depth and special teams, and most likely one more CB and safety.

There is not much need to get into the offense because I think that it will be similar. We will see LaFell to continue to grow into the number 3 WR role. Gettis will be back and be our number 2. I see us letting go of Otah and drafting Kalil if he is still on the board. Other then RT and WR I do not se anywhere we need to improve. With Gettis coming back and the drafting of Kalil I think we are good. I would also bring back Shockey. I do not think he would be all that expensive and wants to be back.

QB: Cam Newton

RB: DeAngelo Williams/Jonathan Stewart

TE: Greg Olsen

WR: Steve Smith

WR: David Gettis

TE: Jeremy Shockey

LT: Jordan Gross

LG: Travelle Wharton

C: Ryan Kalil

RG: Geoff Hangartner

RT: Matt Kalil

We can be a Super Bowl contender with that offense.

What about the offensive line? 2 straight years of dissapointments for me.

I still thnk Wharton, Gross, and Kalil are above average players. I think we let Schwartz and Hangartner battle it out in training camp, and I believe both are solid players. I do like Hangartner more tho. Then if we have the opportunity to draft Kalil I think we are in great shape.

Now if everything goes to my plan, or what I hope we are looking at the following team.

DE: Charles Johnson

NT: Ron Edwards

UT: Terrell McClain

DE: Greg Hardy

OLB: James Anderson

MLB: Jon Beason

OLB: Zac Brown/Thomas Davis

CB: Chris Gamble

SS: Charles Godfrey

FS: Sherrod Martin

CB: Brandon Hogan

Can this team make the playoffs?

Now if everything goes to my plan, or what I hope we are looking at the following team.

DE: Charles Johnson

NT: Ron Edwards

UT: Terrell McClain

DE: Greg Hardy

OLB: James Anderson

MLB: Jon Beason

OLB: Zac Brown/Thomas Davis

CB: Chris Gamble

SS: Charles Godfrey

FS: Sherrod Martin

CB: Brandon Hogan

Can this team make the playoffs?

Need an upgrade at CB, Hogan is not proven.

You like Godfrey a lot. You wrote a bit about him being or having the capabilities of being of the best in the game. It ain't gonna happen.

When it comes to run defense he is good but pass coverage he is suspect.

I never said he had the capabilities of being the best in the game. I actually did not like him at all coming into this season, but I opened up to him more after he got the big contact because it was obvious he would be here a while. I like what I have seen from him this year.

Archived