• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jordan in video games

Hotsauce

Hey, have any of you gamers out there noticed that Jordan isn't in most video games. I have been playing NBA2k for a long time and he is never in those. I wonder why that is???:conf:

Why wouldn't the greatest player ever be in video games???:confused:

Well Jordan had his own game before "Jordan vs Bird"... and what it came down to was that Jordan wouldn't allow the game producers to use his name in their games. This has happened even in Madden over the years. Its a shame that someone with the kind of money Jordan has, wouldn't allow his fans to use him on the different games.

It wasen't a thing the companies didn't want to pay the rights to use his name, it was Jordan's own doing.

Jordan likes to be in complete control of his own brand rather than licensing himself out to third parties.

Player rights pops up every once in a while in video games. Most recent was in All-Pro Football 2k8. Can't remember the player, but in the first update the game recieved one of the hall of famers suddenly became some random nobody with the exact same stats and look.

Smart, is more like it.

Obviously it is not smart is no one is paying him the money to be in their games. If it were me, and I had the kind of cash Jordan had, I would be fine with them using my character.

Funny thing is, in about 15-20 years, Jordan will not have the popularity he once did with the young generation. Being in my Mid-20's I know that I gained some insight on older players from playing the 1950's, 1960's, 1970's dream teams on NBA2K9

Obviously it is not smart is no one is paying him the money to be in their games. If it were me, and I had the kind of cash Jordan had, I would be fine with them using my character.

I doubt he needs any more money :D It just seems to be a thing with him, and that's fine. I just don't think it's cause he's an "asshole." I don't think that's it. But if it bothers him, then it bothers him. He spent sixteen years being the face of an entire league, a league whose popularity rose and fell with him. That's a lot of pressure to be put under, but he handled it. He had his face plastered everywhere on God's green earth for a decade and a half...if he doesn't want to see a digital version of himself, I can't really fault him for it.

Funny thing is, in about 15-20 years, Jordan will not have the popularity he once did with the young generation. Being in my Mid-20's I know that I gained some insight on older players from playing the 1950's, 1960's, 1970's dream teams on NBA2K9

But I don't even think he cares, or minds. I'm no expert, of course, but Jordan never seemed to care for the media attention. He had a nice repartee, of course, but, from what I've read/heard, he was always distant, always basic, certainly never went off into an Allen Iverson-esque rant about anything. And he was constantly followed around, probably the only minor league baseball player in history to get more attention than most major leaguers. And he retired from baseball just because of an impending strike, and he knew everyone would be looking to him to set the tone. Retired from the Bulls for more or less the same kind of reason.

I don't know, of course, but I really really think that if he was completely forgotten, if my kids don't know his name, I honestly don't think he'd mind. He's had enough attention for about fifty lifetimes.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived