• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So my hypothetical kid is at school with a bunch of NFL player's kids

Ricky Spanish

and all these NFL players' kids are great students. let me tell you they are the best and brightest, and they keep getting better grades than my kids and it's really bothering me.

I think i'm going to start paying my kids to bully these NFL kids and pay them every time they cry home to their parents. That's the nature of school isn't it? I mean you're suppose to go there to LEARN, but building character is just part of the experience right? and what better way to build character than to get bullied by kids that just aren't as good as you are just so they can feel better about themselves?

What do you guys think, I figured that these NFL stars won't have a problem with it considering their stance on bounties recently...

ce2cf0177923850.jpg

"The Strenous Life" Speech before the Hamilton Club, Chicago, April 10, 1899

The student in a college who "crams" in order to stand at the head of his class, and neglects his health and stunts his development by working for high marks, may do himself much damage; but all that he proves is that the abuse of study is wrong. The fact remains that the study itself is essential. So it is with vigorous pastimes. If rowing or foot-ball or base-ball is treated as the end of life by any considerable section of a community, then that community shows itself to be in an unhealthy condition. If treated as it should be,—that is, as good, healthy play,—it is of great benefit, not only to the body, but in its effect upon character. To study hard implies character in the student, and to work hard at a sport which entails severe physical exertion and steady training also implies character. All kinds of qualities go to make up character, for, emphatically, the term should include the positive no less than the negative virtues. If we say of a boy or a man, "He is of good character," we mean that he does not do a great many things that are wrong, and we also mean that he does do a great many things which imply much effort of will and readiness to face what is disagreeable. He must not steal, he must not be intemperate, he must not be vicious in any way; he must not be mean or brutal; he must not bully the weak. In fact, he must refrain from whatever is evil. But besides refraining from evil, he must do good. He must be brave and energetic; he must be resolute and persevering.

Archived