• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cardinal's releases

17+89=6

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-sp.digest290apr29,0,2495196.column

We all know they released James and saw it coming a mile away, but they also released Roderick Hood and Travis Laboy. Now, I'm pretty sure we are just gonna run with the DB's we have. But I wouldn't mind bringing in Hood. I think he'd be a solid pickup. What do you guys think?

I could see interest in Hood if we hadn't just used a 2nd round pick on a nickel back. As it stands, doubt it.

LaBoy was actually the name I found more interesting in that story as he's an undersized defensive end with some talent and, from what I've seen, decent character. He's also had injury issues though and signed last year for what was likely an overinflated contract. Hard to say what would happen there.

A piece from last season: LaBoy thriving as Cardinals' "predator"

Travis LaBoy was the Cardinals' biggest offseason free-agent acquisition.

Big deal, said skeptics, who have watched LaBoy line up with the second-unit defense at training camp.

Then LaBoy had a big game in the Cards' preseason win at Kansas City, where he had two sacks and four tackles for loss.

Maybe he can be a halfway big deal, the skeptics refigured.

LaBoy plays the team's hybrid "predator" position, a combination defensive end/linebacker. Because he starts from a standing or "up" position, the Cardinals generally refer to this as a linebacker spot. But opponents refer to it as a defensive end, linebackers coach Bill Davis said.

"When you break it down, they rush a lot more than they drop (into coverage)," Davis said. "They're pass rushers more than they are linebackers."

"It's a glorified defensive end, really," LaBoy said.

About the only difference from his days with the Titans is that LaBoy is standing up instead of putting his hand down in a 3-point stance.

The Chiefs, who were knocked on their backside, probably didn't care about such subtleties, including what his position is called. They were tackled by a guy who played for the past four seasons in Tennessee, where he rolled up 19.5 sacks.

And LaBoy does not lack for confidence, despite his critics.

Upon arriving in Arizona he had someone design a pro-wrestling style, jewel-encrusted championship belt - LaBoy sometimes trains with pro wrestlers - to be given to the player who rings up the most sacks on any given week. :lol:

He gets to wear the belt for now.

Interesting, especially with Ron Meeks in charge.

The veteran I'd most like to see the Panthers go after, if he's released, is Todd Heap. But, depending on what happens with the Peppers saga, I could see some interest in LaBoy.

I know the Panthers pursued one of the Titans free agent ends last offseason, but I don't remember if it was LaBoy or the other they lost (name escapes me).

Edit: Antwan Odom was the name that escaped me. He's the one the Panthers pursued, but Gantt was pimping LaBoy last offseason as someone they should target.

He signed a 5 year contract for 22 million with 7.5 guaranteed last year, right? I definitely don't think we would give him that kind of money.

He was also released from the team that paid him that contract due to injury issues, so he might not draw that sort of paycheck now. It'd likely depend on what sort of demand there was for him out there among other teams.

Hey, at the very least, he'd fill the need for a defensive end nicknamed "Predator" :lol:

He was also released from the team that paid him that contract due to injury issues, so he might not draw that sort of paycheck now. It'd likely depend on what sort of demand there was for him out there among other teams.

Hey, at the very least, he'd fill the need for a defensive end nicknamed "Predator" :lol:

Haha, and we all know every team could use a "Predator"

Yea he's had the nagging injury since his days with the Titans. What exactly is the problem?

The veteran I'd most like to see the Panthers go after, if he's released, is Todd Heap. But, depending on what happens with the Peppers saga, I could see some interest in LaBoy.

Not sure I like that one. When was the last time he was healthy? When was the last time we ran an offense where we would use him anyway?

I was all about us signing Antwan Odom last year, but in retrospect it looks like I was wrong and that would have been a mistake, because I now think both he and Laboy benefitted from playing next to Albert Haynesworth.

Odom didn't do squat last season playing apart from Haynesworth, and while Laboy wasn't terrible, I don't think he would add a lot for us.

Archived