• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who spreads the ball around more...Jake or Matty?

rayzor

This isn't a "pro jake" thread so put down your "nut hugger" guns and save them for someone else.

i am more concerned with setting the record straight though. jake has his problems and that can't be denied and hopefully, with the new QB coach, many will be worked out this offseason. also, hopefully, he will do much better this year since we are, for better or worse, stuck with him.

one of the big criticisms that is thrown around, though, is that he keys in on smitty too much (though the people who complain about that will also complain that we don't get the ball to our traditionally most dangerous player).

i thought i would compare him to someone nearby that is considered to be a good and well rounded QB for being so new.

jake threw to

31% - smitty

26% - moose

40% - other receivers (WR3s 11%, TEs 15%, RB/FBs 14%)

ryan threw to

34% - white

18% - jenkins

43% - other receivers (WR3 17%, TEs 7%, RB/FBs 19%)

2008 (414 throws)

smith - 31% of targets

128 targets

78 receptions

1417 yards

6 TDs

moose - 26% of targets

108 targets

65 receptions

923 targets

5 TDs

WR3 - 11% of targets

(hackett/jarrett...took turns being active in games)

47 targets (28/19)

23 receptions (13/10)

300 yards (181/119)

0 TDs

TEs - 15% of targets

(king/rosario)

62 targets (33/31)

39 receptions (21/18)

404 yards (195/209)

2 TD (1/1)

RBs/FB - 14% of targets

(williams/stewart/hoover)

58 targets (30/17/11)

36 receptions (22/8/6 )

206 yards (121/47/39)

2 TDs (2/0/0)

meanwhile

434 matty ice attempts

white - 34% of targets

148 targets

88 receptions

1382 yards

7 TDs

jenkins - 18% of targets

81 targets

50 receptions

777 yards

3 TDs

WR3 - 17% of targets

(douglas/finneran)

75 targets (39/36)

53 targets (23/21)

489 yards (320/169)

2 TDs (1/1)

TEs - 7% of targets

(peelle/radar/hartsock)

30 targets (23/1/6)

15/1/3 receptions

159/26/26 yards

2/0/0 TDs

RBs/FB - 19% of targets

(turner/norwood/snelling/mughelli)

83 targets (9/54/10/10)

58 receptions (6/36/8/8)

525 yards (41/338/89/57)

2 TDs (0/2/0/0)

now smith did miss two games last year so that obviously cut down on the number of targets but that would have been what...17 more targets (8.5/game)? that would have moved him up to 35%.

point is...there wasn't a whole lot of difference between the way jake spread it around and ryan.

jake isn't as fixated on smith as many would believe. he has his flaws, but that isn't one of them.

Good job rayzor. I honestly think that people who have this criticism say it because it IS true that when he wants a play and other options aren't there, he will trust Smitty to make that play over any other WR on the team. On two of the biggest throws last year that people consider bailouts (the GB one and the Saints one) Smitty was either the second (GB) or third (NO) option on the playcall per Jake's description of those plays.

The only flaw that i think is jakes big downfall is he tries too hard to make a play sometimes...sometimes a sack is better

No doubt about that one. Maybe Scherer will beat that out of him...lol

(Waits for people to say that it's isn't a good thing he does anything like a rookie QB did...lol)

do you have stats from when moose was hear...and smith was hear all 16 games the time smith was out skews..these stats
i tried to understand that. i really did.

i need my scpanther to english dictionary, i guess.

what are you asking/saying?

Sadly I've been saying the same thing as you Rayzor, but people don't want to listen no matter how many facts you present. So many people would rather accept hearsay rather than sit down and accept the way things are no matter what. I also fully expect people to start coming into this thread and bashing Matt Ryan in some odd effort to take any credit away from Jake.

He's asking you to take back your initial premise, because it disagrees with his thoughts, albeit in very bad spelling, ebonics is my friend... :lol:

Here is not hear, it's here...

lol I wonted to know do you have stats from when moose and smith was in a full 16 games..because those 2 games smith was out really messes up the stats

Well considering Jake only really spread the ball to 2 guys last season... its definatley not Jake. Maybe things will change, I'm hopin Jarrett plays a bigger role this year. I actually wanted the Bucs to draft him when he was in college, dude has some good ability.. just doesn't get much of a chance to showcase it...

Archived