• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Finding a Dirt Cheap Daily Driving Car

The Saltman

Find a car from an old lady. Several years ago my nieghbor had to quit driving and she sold her Olds with about 50,000 miles for like $1500!

It's hear to beat a Jap car for high mileage.

www.autotrader.com

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-Civic-LX-Coupe-2009-Honda-Civic-LX-coupe-One-Owner-Automatic-Sold-Serviced-Here-8624A-/330848150939?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4d0816259b

Lots of good advice on here.

Miles are relative, I wouldn't necessarily discount something just because of the miles. I've driven cars with 250k I'd rather take on a trip than ones with half the mileage.

Craigslist is good, but plan on giving yourself a lot of time and patience when buying something on there. Chances are if you think a car is good on there somebody else does too so when you go to look at something take a few hundred to leave as a deposit to hold it. Also you will have to plan on spending a lot of time looking at junk, as most sellers don't disclose the problems with their car until you've wasted your time going to look at it.

Imports are always good but I wouldn't discount the old lady route as someone earlier suggested. Old people have been driving longer than any of us and they know good cars.....they take care of them so if you can find a good deal on an older olds or buick I'd jump on it. They've been making that 3.8 motor forever, they get 25mpg, and are more comfortable to drive than most imports of the same age. Plus the 3.8 doesn't have a timing belt like the imports so no surprise break of a chain going down the road like can happen with a belt.

Go for an old Toyota. I have done it a couple of times...gotten for a great price and got a ton of miles.

Look around on all the sites...autotrader, cars.com, etc, before going to Craigslist. sometimes, those dealers with those older cars will give a good deal if you are paying cash.

Make sure and research the reliability ratings before you buy and insist on a Carfax report.

Archived