• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Eklund: Hurricanes showing interest in Streit, Leopold and Byfuglien

According to Eklund, the Hurricanes are showing interest in defense-man Mark Streit, Jordan Leopold, and Dustin Byfuglien.

It would be interesting to see what their respective teams would want in return.

Rumor Chart/Chance it Happens

Jordan Leopold - 45%

Mark Streit - 30%

Ladislav Smid - 30%

Ray Whitney - 20%

Valteri Filppula - 20%

Dustin Byfuglien - 10%

I doubt we get Leopold since Buffalo is one of the two teams we don't do business with (Detroit being the other one). However, I'd love to add Streit.

I'd send a huge package to the Islanders for Streit.

Something like Murphy, LaRose, and a 1st for Streit.

Just started seriously following the Canes this year, but why don't we trade with Detroit or Buffalo?

Very good question, and to be honest no one really knows.

Those are just two teams we don't do business with.

Karmanos wont have anything to do with the Red Wings and it goes back a ways.

Mater of fact, Karmanos wants nothing more then to beat Ilitch. He wanted to originally move the Whalers to Detroit and play at the Palace. He was dissuaded by the NHL from doing it though, the reason for moving it there.... To put the Red Wings out of business. lmao....

Link

The Detroit Ambassadors became the Detroit Jr. Wings in 1992 to put them in a state of popularity with the NHL's Red Wings. The owner of the Detroit Red Wings Mike Illitch and the owner of the Detroit Jr. Red Wings Peter Karmanos had an on-going feud. Notably, the Jr. Red Wing and Red Wings both shared the Joe Louis Arena. The rivalry between Illitch and Karmanos boiled over, and the Jr. Red Wings were unceremoniously evicted from the Joe Louis Arena. When Karmanos bought the Hartford Whalers, the team became the Detroit Whalers, but played out of the tiny Oak Park Arena and the Palace of Auburn Hills, the latter of which could have been an appropriate venue for the NHL Whalers. Karmanos then had his own arena for his team constructed, Compuware Arena. In 1997, the Detroit Whalers became the Plymouth Whalers, simply because the team played out of Plymouth, Michigan.

Link

We got a letter saying we can't play at Joe Louis anymore,'' Karmanos said. ``No explanation from anybody.''

The lease is up and they're not renewing, that's it?

``Yep. And they waited until the very last minute to do it,'' Karmanos said. ``I'm not really upset. It is just typical of the Ilitch family.''

Believe me, most of this is they are so bitter with the way their year ended that they are just striking out in every direction,'' Karmanos said. ``This is the typical way Ilitch handles things. We expected no more. We expected no less.

``The Red Wings are just so embarrassed, New Jersey just kicked their butts. Most of

``Basically, our little kids hockey teams beat his little kids hockey teams and he didn't like it,'' Karmanos said late last year. ``Mike's a very competitive guy. We are unfriendly rivals. He doesn't like me at all. Those guys ran amateur hockey with an iron fist around here for all those years. I think they ran it haphazardly. We came in immediately and had success. I think he resented it.''

``Jim Rutherford and I sort of laughed about it. We figured it would come. We were just surprised the way they did it. They just threw us out. There will be a lot of people asking a lot of questions. That building will sit empty all winter long except for Red Wings games."

Karmanos wont have anything to do with the Red Wings and it goes back a ways.

Mater of fact, Karmanos wants nothing more then to beat Ilitch. He wanted to originally move the Whalers to Detroit and play at the Palace. He was dissuaded by the NHL from doing it though, the reason for moving it there.... To put the Red Wings out of business. lmao....

Link

Link

Great find, I'll pie you when I get back on my computer (I'm on my phone).

Archived