• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Canes needs and a look at the future.

carpanfan96

If you take a look at the Hurricanes developmental players, it's clear that there's a definite need for high quality defensive players. Picking in the fifth spot isn't helping the issue here either, as defensive help would be a reach unless Jones falls (which isn't going to happen). 

Looking at the actual roster for the Canes you see a surplus of Forward talent and a lack of depth on the defensive side. 

It's quite clear that the Cane's roster weakness is on defense. Yet there's the comments made by the team that indicates they'll be taking a forward at the 5th spot overall.  The team won't be going defense at all in the first round, so don't expect it. Expect the Canes to draft either Drouin, Barkov or Nichushkini with the 5th pick. Pretty much a case of someone that falls or Nichushkini if he's there. 

So the questing is how to fix the glaring issue on defense with out taking a player in the top 5 that's ready to play? The answer to that question becomes clearer with the knowledge that there was some chemistry issues with the 2nd line last season. 

Drafting a forward that's expected to play right away doesn't make sense, if the top 6 is set in stone. Especially with a defense that's in shambles. So maybe the top 6 isn't set in stone like most would think.

There's an issue with one of the forwards being a puck hog and not playing well with others. This youngster has manage to make the two Staal brothers look like ordinary hockey players instead of all-stars. He just doesn't play well with others, he looks for himself and only himself most of the time, he also happens to need an enforcer on his line to help him excel. 

The youngster I'm talking about is Skinner, who will likely be playing on the third line next season because of chemistry issues with the top two centers on the team.

I fully expect the Canes to try and trade him either during the draft or right after it.  They need to get him out of here while he still has value and hasn't completely killed the chemistry of the team.  Getting rid of Skinner also frees up a ton of Cap space that's desperately needed with the Staal's and Semin taking up so much room.  He has the most trade value of the bunch because of his age. 

The team does have Murphy who should be ready to make the jump, but he's not going to fix that mess by himself. The team isn't going to get the help right away in the draft. So a trade needs to be made to fix the defense, the most probable player for that trade is Skinner as he'll likely get the best return and sense it's obvious that he can't play well on the top two lines, he just isn't worth keeping for 6 Million a season. It just makes too much sense for the team to be successful in the future to not make the move. 

With the rest of the draft, I fully expect the Canes to stock up the cupboard with a few defensive players and a couple of forwards. I expect it to be defensive heavy after the first pick as well.

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=672780&cmpid=rss-smith

3. Free Agency

Free agency opens on July 5 this year, and Rutherford has already identified his main target: a top-four defenseman. Last year, he set out to add a top-flight winger to play alongside Staal, and he ended up adding a pair of top-six forwards.

Considering a healthy team, Rutherford said Justin FaulkJoni Pitkanen and Tim Gleason comprise three of the team’s top four defensemen. Missing Faulk and Pitkanen for stretches in the shortened season ultimately doomed the team.

“Part of our downside last year is we had defensemen that are good NHL defensemen playing in roles they couldn’t handle,” Rutherford said. “In order to get the right balance on our defense and give it a chance to be successful, adding one more guy in the top four would be a top priority.”

So, does that acquisition come via free agency or a trade?

“It’s hard to say. It could come in any manner,” Rutherford said. “It could come in the form of a player that we trade for as a projection who hasn’t done it yet but we think could do it now. It could come in the form of a projection of a (Ryan) Murphy jumping in the top four. It could come many ways, but I do feel that’s an area we have to change.”

On the goaltending front, Rutherford said he expects to offer Dan Ellis a contract. Should the team resign him, Ellis and Justin Peters could compete for the back-up job in training camp.

Targeting a top 4 defenseman in FA or via trade. I don't think Murphy is ready to jump into the top 4 yet, the FA pool is pretty weak at Defense as well. The most likely way of getting a top 4 back would be via trade. I'd like that if the team isn't getting rid of draft picks. 

Also, I know the team won't do it but they should, if you look at the stats between Ellis and Ward they are almost the exact samething. Ward is overrated and over priced. He should be traded as well. A great defense can make any goalie look good. Look at Chicago. Even though Crawford is hot atm, he hasn't always been. The Blackhawks had a time share going on at goalie this season and pretty much the past few years. Yet, they are always a contender a may be on their way to a 2nd Cup win.

Also, I know the team won't do it but they should, if you look at the stats between Ellis and Ward they are almost the exact samething. Ward is overrated and over priced. He should be traded as well. A great defense can make any goalie look good. Look at Chicago. Even though Crawford is hot atm, he hasn't always been. The Blackhawks had a time share going on at goalie this season and pretty much the past few years. Yet, they are always a contender a may be on their way to a 2nd Cup win.

The only thing the Canes have said is that IF they resign Ellis he and Peters will tryout against each other for the backup spot. in training camp. 

So let's fix the defense instead of doing something drastic like cutting Ward for Ellis who hasn't been effective as a full time starter since like 2007.

I think it's much more likely that Ward will play better with a better defense and puck moving team. This team struggled at times to move the put out of the Defensive zone and it cost the team plenty of times.  

I still think the best chance at actually getting a top 4 guy is by trading Skinner. "He's really the only piece the team has that can be moved for a good return. 

Archived