• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who should we target in FA?

YOLO!

I'm almost tempted to just say weight one more year when Gordon's contract is up. Then we could amnesty Tyrus Thomas and make a big run at Greg Monroe or DeMarcus Cousins...

I agree. There's also other guys that we could land than just Monroe and Cousins. But don't we have to spend some money to reach the cap limit?

Not sure if I'd give Pek a max deal or not, Maybe something like 13 million a season at the most. I doubt Minny would match that to be honest.

Yea, I don't believe Minny would too. If we could, I'd do it in a heart beat. Pekovic is a true Center that rebounds and does all the dirty stuffs in the paint. He's a great player to pair up with Zeller.

I agree. There's also other guys that we could land than just Monroe and Cousins. But don't we have to spend some money to reach the cap limit?

Pay Henderson, sign a center (J.J. Hickson), sign a backup small forward (Kyle Korver), resign McRoberts, don't amnesty Tyrus Thomas and don't cut Adrien.

Problem solved...

PG: Kemba Walker, Ramon Sessions

SG: Gerald Henderson, Ben Gordon

SF: Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Kyle Korver (FA), Jeff Taylor

PF: Cody Zeller, Josh McRoberts, Jeff Adrien, Tyrus Thomas

C: J.J. Hickson, Bismack Biyombo, Brendan Haywood

That's 14 spots, we could even give the 15th spot to an undrafted free agent like Curry or Triche.

Also there is a difference between the salary cap and the salary floor.

The salary cap was at $58 million this past year while the floor was at $49 million.

If the Cats can manage to keep their cap at around $52 million, they will be in great shape next year when Gordon's, Adrien's, and Session's contracts are up. They could also amnesty Tyrus Thomas then, creating even more cap room...

By next year we will have established our corp (Kemba, Henderson, MKG, Zeller, Biyombo,Taylor, next years draft pick) and then can start adding free agency pieces around it...

I just did some math, and with the following roster our salary cap is around $48 million (Henderson's number is based on the $4,400,000 qualifying offer he received and Zeller's number is based off of how much the 4th pick made last year).

PG: Kemba Walker, Ramon Sessions

SG: Gerald Henderson, Ben Gordon, Jeff Taylor

SF: MKG, Jeff Adrien

PF: Cody Zeller, Tyrus Thomas

C: Bismack Biyombo, Brendan Haywood

After thinking about it, we may have to amnesty Tyrus so that we can actually fill out the roster. If we amnesty Tyrus, we drop $8 million off the books leaving our total salary at $40 million.

-Now here is a scenario of how to fill out the roster...

- sign Seth Curry to a $800,000 dollar contract.

- sign Kyle Korver to a $4,000,000 dollar contract.

- sign Josh McRoberts to a $3,000,000 dollar contract

- sign J.J. Hickson to a $6,000,000 dollar contract

This leaves us at $54,000,000 which allows us to match any qualifying offer up to $8,000,000 and leaves us with the following roster...

PG: Kemba Walker, Ramon Sessions, Seth Curry

SG: Gerald Henderson, Ben Gordon, Jeff Taylor

SF: Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Kyle Korver, Jeff Adrien

PF: Cody Zeller, Josh McRoberts

C: J.J. Hickson, Bismack Biyombo, Brendan Haywood

This team can compete night in and night out without getting blown out, but also is no better than fifth overall pick.

Also that $22 million dollars in cap room thing had a huge variable on Gordon opting out and with his $13,200,000 contract coming off the books.

Next year the Hornets will actually have a significant amount of cap room with Gordon's, Sessions', and Adrien's contracts all up leaving us roughly $20,000,000 under the cap with no variables.

Just play the young guys, letting them develop. Forget about overpaying for anyone. Don't lock up any FA long term. Tank this season and roll the dice on the 2014 draft. If we can get lucky, for once, next draft and have cap space this team can rocket upwards. 

Yesterday the BuzzCats sent out an email to the season tickets holders that they could have up to $21 million dollars in cap room and intend to use it all in free agency...

Pekovic or Evans please!

I like Jefferson but that would be a bad move. Cody is not a great defender, but especially nor is Jefferson.

Pekovic or Evans please!

I like Jefferson but that would be a bad move. Cody is not a great defender, but especially nor is Jefferson.

Yesterday you said that J.R. Smith shouldn't be signed because of us qualifying Henderson...

Think about it, there is no reason for us to offer Evans.

Also, signing either one of those guys would keep us from being a team that can earn a top draft pick.

I always see you wanting the big name free agents but also wanting to get that number one pick. I would just expect to be as reasonable as possible.

The email also said that they are only signing guys that fit the team and their process...

Yesterday you said that J.R. Smith shouldn't be signed because of us qualifying Henderson...

Think about it, there is no reason for us to offer Evans.

Also, signing either one of those guys would keep us from being a team that can earn a top draft pick.

I always see you wanting the big name free agents but also wanting to get that number one pick. I would just expect to be as reasonable as possible.

The email also said that they are only signing guys that fit the team and their process...

The JR talk again: "headcase". Please no more.

Adding one of those guy is not going to knock us out of a top3-5 pick. I'm not even aiming at Wiggins and the no.1 pick right now. Sac and Minny had a much better team with Evans and Pekovic last year if compare to our roster this upcoming season. And, Sac was the no7 and Minny no9 pick.

The JR talk again: "headcase". Please no more.

Adding one of those guy is not going to knock us out of a top3-5 pick. I'm not even aiming at Wiggins and the no.1 pick right now. Sac and Minny had a much better team with Evans and Pekovic last year if compare to our roster this upcoming season. And, Sac was the no7 and Minny no9 pick.

And enough with the headcase talk... if you can dismiss it when talking about Bynum, then I can dismiss it when talking about Smith (it has to go both ways).

I  would very interested to see where you think Evans fits on this team... he's not starting over Kemba or Henderson... so essentially you are asking a prideful player to come off the bench.

Andres Nocioni (who played with Evans in Sacramento) had the following to say on Evans: "I can’t really say what I want to say because I’m on TV… Incredible talent, but I think teams sometimes should be tougher on the younger guys. What he brought to Sacramento was trouble in the locker room and that doesn't take you nowhere."

Also, Minnesota certainly did not have a better team than us, I saw us beat them... Most of their players were injured for the entire season and we won the season series.

Archived