• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2013 NHL Draft Thread

The NHL Draft is not for a few more days, but CBS Sports released the official draft order so I wanted to go ahead and get that up so everyone knows what our picks are.

Carolina Hurricanes Draft Picks

1st Round (5th Pick): Elias Lindhom, Center, Sweden (Team: Brynas)

2nd Round (35th Pick): Traded for Defenseman Andrej Sekera

3rd Round (66th Pick): Brett Pesce, Defenseman, USA (Team: University of New Hampshire)

5th Round (126th Pick): Brent Pedersen, Left Wing, Canada (Team: Kitchner Rangers)

6th Round (156th Pick): Tyler Ganly, Defenseman, Canada (Team: Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds)

That's all folks!!!

Go Canes!!!

I agree one hundred percent.

I'd also like to see my good friend, Josh Welsey (Glen Wesley's son) get picked up by us in the sixth round.

Josh and Alex Peters (Justin Peters son) were both selected by the Plymouth Whalers in the OHL Draft this past year.

That puts them in good standing to get drafted by the Hurricanes since that's the well they go to the most often and with good reason since they own the team. lol 

Might as well officially call it a Minor league affiliate of the Hurricanes team and be done with it. 

That puts them in good contention to get drafted by the Hurricanes since that's the well they go to the most often and with good reason since they own the team. lol 

Yeah, and the end of the draft is kind of a crap shoot anyway, so you might as well pick someone you are familiar with.

But back to Nichushkin, he is an amazing prospect. The only reason (in my opinion) that he isn't in contention for the 1st overall pick in the draft is because he is Russian.

This works out perfectly for us as Valeri and Sasha are both represented by the same agent.

That puts them in good standing to get drafted by the Hurricanes since that's the well they go to the most often and with good reason since they own the team. lol 

Might as well officially call it a Minor league affiliate of the Hurricanes team and be done with it. 

I just did some research and Chad LaRose is the only player to have played for every level of Compuware Hockey.

LaRose  has played for the Compuware AAA Ambassadors, Plymouth Whalers, Florida EverbladesLowell Lock Monsters and the Carolina Hurricanes

Nice research, I was mainly talking about the Whalers since the Hurricanes have drafted a ton of players from there over the past few years. 

Yeah, I was just doing research for the original tier as it was designed to be Compuware AAA Ambassadors, Plymouth Whalers, Florida Everblades (which Peter Karmanos owns but is trying to sell), Lowell Lock Monsters (former AHL Affiliate of the Hurricanes), and then  the Hartford Whalers (now Carolina Hurricanes).

Now the tier goes...

Plymouth Whalers

Florida Everblades

Charlotte Checkers

Carolina Hurricanes

Chip Alexander: Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford didn’t rule out moving down from the No. 5 slot if the right deal comes along. He doesn’t anticipate moving up.

If we trade down, we need to be getting a top four defenseman.

I'd prefer to just stay at five and take Nichushkin or Drouin (if Nich gets taken by Tampa).

I don't see Nashville touching Nichushkin because of their encounter with Alexander Radulov...

If I was a betting man, here is how I would say it plays out...

Colorado: Nathan MacKinnon

Florida: Seth Jones

Tampa Bay: Jonathan Drouin

Nashville: Aleksander Barkov

Carolina: Valeri Nichuschkin

If we trade down, we need to be getting a top four defenseman.

I'd prefer to just stay at five and take Nichushkin or Drouin (if Nich gets taken by Tampa).

I don't see Nashville touching Nichushkin because of their encounter with Alexander Radulov...

If I was a betting man, here is how I would say it plays out...

Colorado: Nathan MacKinnon

Florida: Seth Jones

Tampa Bay: Jonathan Drouin

Nashville: Aleksander Barkov

Carolina: Valeri Nichuschkin

Like I have asked before, what does it usually cost to trade up.  If we could swing a deal like 5 & Mcbain for 2 or 3(if Seth Jones is there), I would be all over it.

Like I have asked before, what does it usually cost to trade up.  If we could swing a deal like 5 & Mcbain for 2 or 3(if Seth Jones is there), I would be all over it.

No idea to be honest. The top picks are guaranteed to get you a good player so I wouldn't think it would be hefty especially with the only team really needing a top four defenseman in the top four being Nashville.

I would think that we could pull off the following trade...

Carolina Receives: 3rd overall pick

Tampa Bay Receives: 5th overall pick, Jamie McBain, 2nd round pick

No idea to be honest. The top picks are guaranteed to get you a good player so I wouldn't think it would be hefty especially with the only team really needing a top four defenseman in the top four being Nashville.

I would think that we could pull off the following trade...

Carolina Receives: 3rd overall pick

Tampa Bay Receives: 5th overall pick, Jamie McBain, 2nd round pick

Ive heard growing speculation that Jones could take a little tumble in the draft.  See a few mocks lately have him going 3-4.  Mackinnon seems to be the consensus number 1 now.  I hope we can pull something off.  A team would be able to pick up a top 6 defender and still keep a top 5 pick in a top heavy draft, I wouldn't be surprised to see someone bite on it, but what do I know.

PS:  Just reread my last post, didn't mean to sound like a douchebag.

Ive heard growing speculation that Jones could take a little tumble in the draft.  See a few mocks lately have him going 3-4.  Mackinnon seems to be the consensus number 1 now.  I hope we can pull something off.  A team would be able to pick up a top 6 defender and still keep a top 5 pick in a top heavy draft, I wouldn't be surprised to see someone bite on it, but what do I know.

PS:  Just reread my last post, didn't mean to sound like a douchebag.

1. Sakic (Avs GM) has already said he will select MacKinnon, so there's that.

2. Florida doesn't really need a defenseman unless they want to make a dominant combo of Gudbranson and Jones.

3. Tampa Bay also doesn't really need help on defense and needs to replace the amnestied Vincent Lecavalier

4. Nashville could use help on defense but it might be hard to pass on Barkov or Drouin if they are there (they will not take Valeri Nichushkin because of the whole Alexander Radulov incident, so if Nichushkin is taken by Tampa; then Jones could fall to the Canes).

A few quick scenarios...

1. Nathan MacKinnon

2. Seth Jones

3. Jonathan Drouin

4. Aleksander Barkov

5. Valeri Nichushkin

1. Nathan MacKinnon

2. Aleksander Barkov

3. Valeri Nichushkin

4. Jonathan Drouin

5. Seth Jones

1. Nathan MacKinnon