• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Canes Intrigued By Russian Winger Nichushkin

Link: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/06/27/4131693/canes-intrigued-by-russian-winger.html

Valeri Nichushkin is arguably the most interesting, if slightly perplexing, forward among the top prospects heading into Sunday’s NHL Entry Draft.

“He’s a very intriguing player,” Carolina Hurricanes general manager Jim Rutherford said this week.

Nichushkin, a blend of power and skill at 6-3 and 196 pounds, could give the Hurricanes more size as they move into a new NHL division next season. Canes coach Kirk Muller would like that.

If defenseman Seth Jones isn’t taken with one of the top four picks, he may be Carolina’s target, but Rutherford said the Canes are “leaning” toward selecting a forward.

Nichushkin, a blend of power and skill at 6-3 and 196 pounds, could give the Hurricanes more size as they move into a new NHL division next season. Canes coach Kirk Muller would like that.

Nichushkin was the KHL’s rookie of the year last season with Traktor Chelyabinsk and he was under contract for the next two years. He was traded in late April to Dynamo Moscow of the KHL.

He has said he is committed to playing in the NHL next season, but with a caveat – if he doesn’t make an NHL roster, he wants to return to Dynamo.

Rutherford conceded there are some “red flags” associated with the KHL but said it’s not a big drawback with Nichushkin.

Gandler also represents Russian forward Alexander Semin, who signed with Carolina as a free agent last July and later agreed to a five-year contract extension. Semin, 29, could help mentor a player such as Nichushkin.

“Semin could be a role model and help him work his way through the transition,” Sonier said.

Nichushkin did that in the Five Nations Tournament in February in Sweden. He had five goals and six assists in four games, causing one observer to call him a “man among boys.”

“He completely dominated. That was the first time I thought he looked like Evgeni Malkin,” Sonier said.

Nichushkin has been compared to Malkin, the Pittsburgh Penguins’ star Russian center. Sonier said he did not think Nichushkin had Malkin’s “offensive IQ” but quickly added, “He has great potential.”

Nichushkin would definitely give Carolina a solid offensive threat.

Jiri Tlusty - Eric Staal - Alexander Semin

Jeff Skinner - Jordan Staal - Valeri Nichushkin

Victor Rask - Riley Nash - Tuomo Ruutu

Kevin Westgarth - Brett Sutter - Tim Wallace

I don't think Skinner will be on the second line next season, nor the first one. At least he shouldn't be, he should be on the third line or traded if the team doesn't think he'll fit in there.

He's just too disruptive and bogs J. Staal down offensively by hogging the puck, on top of that he hasn't really played well since his rookie season. 

I don't think Skinner will be on the second line next season, nor the first one. At least he shouldn't be, he should be on the third line or traded if the team doesn't think he'll fit in there.

He's just too disruptive and bogs J. Staal down offensively by hogging the puck, on top of that he hasn't really played well since his rookie season. 

I for one am not holding Skinner accountable for what happened last season.

He was roughed around quite a bit last year and I feel like he eventually just said "screw it".

He just needs another playmaker on the line... i.e. Nichushkin. Ruutu was never meant to be a second line player, but was forced to be because of Jokinen's poor play.

To be honest, the only way I think Skinner gets traded is if JR calls New York and ships Skinner to New York for Marc Staal.

I hope the team picks Nich. He's got superstar wrote all over him, plus Semin can help bring him along more smoothly.

As for Skinner, I'm not blaming him for last season. Over the past 2 seasons he's gotten more puck hogish and has become turnover prone. I'm looking at both seasons when saying that. Plus he's been put on lines with both Staal's and they each had some of the worst statistical periods of their respective careers with him on the same line as them. He tries to do too much and that's gotten him hurt some, plus it's caused his shot percentage and scoring to go down since his rookie year. 

I'm not saying he's a bad player, he's got a great skillset, he just doesn't share the puck well and needs enforcers on his line to keep him as clean as possible and it hasn't really worked out for Skinner or the Hurricanes minus his rookie season which is more and more looking like a mirage instead of normal play. 

I hope the team picks Nich. He's got superstar wrote all over him, plus Semin can help bring him along more smoothly.

As for Skinner, I'm not blaming him for last season. Over the past 2 seasons he's gotten more puck hogish and has become turnover prone. I'm looking at both seasons when saying that. Plus he's been put on lines with both Staal's and they each had some of the worst statistical periods of their respective careers with him on the same line as them. He tries to do too much and that's gotten him hurt some, plus it's caused his shot percentage and scoring to go down since his rookie year. 

I'm not saying he's a bad player, he's got a great skillset, he just doesn't share the puck well and needs enforcers on his line to keep him as clean as possible and it hasn't really worked out for Skinner or the Hurricanes minus his rookie season which is more and more looking like a mirage instead of normal play. 

I think Skinner just needs to learn how to play smarter. 

If you've had a concussion before, you know it definitely affects your psyche.

Before Skinner got injured this year, he was on a tear. In the first 14 games of the season he recorded eight goals and seven assists.

I agree, he is definitely a pug hog, but he has never played with another winger as skilled as him before. If the Canes draft Nich, Skinner will finally have another player that is just as talented or more talented than him.

If Skinner gets dealt then our offense is in the same place we were last year (if someone gets injured or someone doesn't workout). If I'm being totally honest., here is how I would start of the season if I were the Canes...

Jiri Tlusty - Eric Staal - Alexander Semin

Jeff Skinner - Jordan Staal - Valeri Nichushkin

Victor Rask - Riley Nash - Tuomo Ruutu

Kevin Westgarth - Brett Sutter - Patrick Dwyer

Drayson Bowman

Tim Wallace

Tim Gleason - Justin Faulk

Ron Hainsey (FA) - Joni Pitkanen

Jay Harrison - Ryan Murhpy

Jamie McBain

Cam Ward

Justin Peters