• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Horncats interested in Al Jefferson

carpanfan96

I get your point teeray but, IMO, if you're going to give a guy max money, it better be the BEST guy on the market. I don't like D12 as a person/face of the franchise, but if we just want to indulge, offer HIM that money. He's the best big on the market with several teams pursuing him. That is the guy you over spend for, not the second tier big who hasn't even visited anyone else.

People are excited now because we're looking to spend but, when we're consistently making it as a #8 seed with Jefferson making max money and were strapped from signing anyone else, people are going to be mad at him.

We don't have $30, we only have $16 and if you are going to overpay; overpay on someone worth it.

Give LBJ a 4 year/25M dollar contract.

I would agree if we could even get our foot in the door with those guys.  Don't think for a second that Cho didn't talk to Howard's agent to try and get an idea if there was any mutual interest there.  My guess is that Howard's agent said no.

Actually, signing a guy like Al Jefferson makes it more likely, not less likely, to garner interest from top tier free agents in the future.

You can't overpay for a the top free agent when you have 5 other more desirable and more competitive teams offering the same amount.  You can't over pay for someone who won't even listen.

If Jefferson accepts the deal, you'll see Thomas get the boot. It's going to be close to a max level deal. 4 years 60 million dollars. It would leave the team with 5.5 million left over for this season and 17.5 million next season.

If he's smart, he accepts a deal around 4yrs/$48-$50 mil so that we can actually fill out a roster with some other good players in the future.

Also for everyone talking about trying to sign another max free agent next season we have to start thinking about extending Kemba MKG etc so if you lock all your money up in players like Al you can potentially lose our own good young players.

If he's smart, he accepts a deal around 4yrs/$48-$50 mil so that we can actually fill out a roster with some other good players in the future.

I'd much rather it be in the 48 million range, but everything is pointing to the 60 million range. Evans just got a 44 million dollar deal, West just got 36 million to stay on a team he enjoys playing for. Honestly anything over 8 million a season is a waste. He doesn't bring enough offensively to counter his defense to warrant a big contract over 8-9 million a season. Defense that's so horrible We're talking about 113 Points per 100 possessions with him and 102 or lower with out him.  

That said, I expect the contract to be ridiculous because fans in Charlotte don't know how to be sports fans and are impatient and this screams forced move to attract fans.   

It will be a horrible move, just look at the statistics and it will show you that he poorly effects his teams defense and marginally effect his teams offense. Also Stats show he's not very efficient in the post and isn't that great shooting wise from the post.  His offensive ability just doesn't come close to overcoming the weak defense that he has, his speed also doesn't fit with what Coach Clifford wants to do.

Which means this is likely a forced move by MJ on Rich Cho and Clifford. 

http://www.rufusonfire.com/2013/7/1/4482412/cbs-sports-reports-bobcats-pursuing-al-jefferson-bad-idea

His offense is a remnant of an era past considering the dearth of true post threats today. Nearly 46 percent of his offense comes on post-up plays, on which he scores 0.89 points per possession. That's good enough to rank 44th overall in the league on such plays, but it's one of his least efficient plays, according to MySynergySports.com. Jefferson is also solid on pick and rolls and on cuts, though he didn't see as many of those plays as spot-ups. Overall, Jefferson's an efficient scorer with 0.97 points per possession (ranked 102 out of the entire NBA).

To make matters worse, statistics measuring team performance specifically with Jefferson on the court versus when he is off it indicate that he has a negative impact overall. The offense gets marginally better with him there, which is to be expected. Team effective field goal percentage (eFG) improves from 47.9 to 49.9 percent and turnover percent decreased with Jefferson on the floor for the Jazz. Despite this, overall offensive rating (points scored per 100 possessions) stayed about the same.

On defense, it's scary. Opponents shot a 51.7 percent eFG with him on the court, compared to 47.1 percent when he's off it. They don't turn the ball over as much when Jefferson's there. Points per 100 possessions for opponents jumped from 100.7 to 110.5 when Jefferson took the floor for the Jazz last year.

The thing Jefferson has going for him is a big one, though. He's a talented threat capable of shouldering an offense in the post, drawing double-teams and not turning the ball over much. Whether it outweighs his defensive liabilities, I just don't know. Charlotte's already a godawful defensive team so it's not like Jefferson would make them worse, but if the team wants to climb out of the cellar of disastrous defense (and they do), I don't think it's going to be with Al Jefferson in the paint.

I'm also not really sure what the Bobcats are going for here. If they want to bring him in to put Bismack Biyombo into the backup center slot, the team has an offense-heavy frontcourt with Cody Zeller and one that will undoubtedly struggle to defend anything at the rim. Or they could push Zeller to the backup slot and Biyombo slides to power forward, which could help with Jefferson's lack of defensive talent. But how long until you wonder if you're holding back Zeller's development? I don't really get the possible fit.

If nothing else, I think this is the Bobcats trying to say they're serious about big name free agents.

Most of you don't even go to the games and didn't start coming around until the name change and now you're worried about how bad the team will be if they resign McBob lol.

I hate when a 2000+ posters say this kind of crap. There's die hard bobcats fans who don't post on here.

Archived