• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Are the essential elements in place?

Mr. Scot

He was a JUCO transfer and started only one season at Georiga...that due to injury. He's raw to say the least and the very reason depth at DT worries me.

To answer you question, no, I don't have them. I could look them up, but from memory, very little to get excited about.

i think i read somewere he had like 3 sacks..and good # of QB hurries for a DT..but i still never heard of him when a watched SEC games

Three step drop/quick pass can be hard to defend for any defense, honestly.

Having big guys who get their hands up helps a lot. Also, the emphasis on speed should make us less susceptible to that attack than in the past.

Having those big paws up beyond the LOS helps out a lot more than if the DT is neutralized at the point of attack.

My point is there's a premium on penetrating DTs and we don't have one.

One name...Hanyesworth, there's a market for these type of guys. Not that I want that kind of salary on the team, but Haynesworth-lite even would suffice for me.

Having those big paws up beyond the LOS helps out a lot more than if the DT is neutralized at the point of attack.

My point is there's a premium on penetrating DTs and we don't have one.

One name...Hanyesworth, there's a market for these type of guys. Not that I want that kind of salary on the team, but Haynesworth-lite even would suffice for me.

I'd agree based on the past, but I also have to go back to the notion that we haven't seen what Lewis can do in Ron Meeks scheme yet.

You lost me. Ball control? Are you saying by the Panthers offense eating up T.O.P. Lewis will not tire out and post good numbers?

If so, Lewis doens't have the skill set to be a dominant 3-technique guy. Average yes, awesome no.

oops switch offense for defense (I think) my bad

yes but i read somewere that meeks said for louis its ..the same thing he did in st louis..but he is 31 now

Crap, Lewis got demoted in St. Louis and the very reson we got the former first round selection on the cheap. :eek:

Older and wiser, maybe, but slower and maxed potential also.

So much for the results in a "Tampa 2"-type defense. I totally forgot that Lovie was running the "D" in St. Louis when Lewis was there. :(

My own breakdown:

Right defensive end: Julius Peppers

Questions? yeah, but the combo of Peppers athleticism, Brian Baker's motivation and Meeks style of defense is hard to argue against.

Check

Explosive three technique: Damione Lewis

Explosive? We've definitely seen flashes in the past, but explosive in the way Warren Sapp was?

Question Mark

Will linebacker: Thomas Davis

Last year seemed to show that Davis was better suited in this role than his previous role as a Sam. I blanched at the thought of Davis switching positions again, but it worked. This one I'd have to say is good.

Check

Middle backer who can run: Jon Beason

Anybody seriously have any questions here? Didn't think so.

Check

Left end who can defeat single blocks: Charles Johnson, Tyler Brayton, Everette Brown

Johnson and Brayton both have had their moments, and Brown was able to beat single blocks pretty consistently in college. The question is do you evaluate them individually or as a committee? Either way, I'd have to say this one is unsettled.

Question Mark

As a positive, there's not any one element I feel comfortable saying a definitive "no". There are maybes, but maybes can turn into "yes" just as easily as "no".

In the end, my overall comfort level?

Pretty Good.

Archived