• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Drive Stats and Field Position - Thru Week 5 - How the Panthers rank

dos poptarts

These are my personal interpretation of the drive stats taking from the NFL Gamebooks.

PLEASE READ:

I did not count End of half, end of game drives for kneeling or if there wasn't sufficient time (less than ~30 secs) to score.

Turnovers are a TEAM sport. Downs, missed/blocked FGs, blocked punts are included with INTs & fumbles.

I used a hardcut at the 20yard line. I'm compliling this data during breaks at work so I'm not going to write a log function based on starting field position.

There are more caveats but minor.....

Starting Field position from 20yard line or worse.

Scoring drive (FGs or TDs):

Panthers: Ranked 5th (38% scoring success)

League Best: Denver (@53%, no surprise for anyone who's watched the games)

League Worst: Tampa Bay (10%.)

BTW, MIN is at 25%, ranked 19th.

Scoring Success regardless of field position:

Panthers: Ranked 19th (33%)

League Best: Denver (64%)

League Worst: Both Tampa and Jax tied. (16%)

MIN is ranked 10th (40%)

WTF Stat: The panthers are one of only 2 teams who's scoring % goes down as field position gets better. League Average is a 7% improvement. (13% delta).

MIN has issues driving the ball 80yds to score. That should be the game plan this week. Bascially don't give Minny a short field. They've only scored 2TDs out of 24 drives that required 80 or more yards.

Now onto the defense:

Opponent Starting Field position from 20yard line or worse.

Scoring drive (FGs or TDs):

Panthers: Ranked 16th (25%)

League Best: KC (15%)

League Worst: Atlanta (43%)

MIN is 25th (33%)

Opponent Scoring Success regardless of field position:

Panthers: Ranked 6th (29%)

League Best: KC (17%)

League Worst: Atlanta (52%)

MIN is 26th (41%)

My Take: Panthers are performing at league average. Defense is preventing TDs, but the offense isn't scoring.

New Orleans is good. I know they are undefeated, but it isn't a mirage. Unless we challenge them, they've won the division.

Atlanta defense is horrible.

TB offense is a mess.

Around the League:

Indy defense is much better than I expected. Indy offense, if they have to drive 80yds isn't better than the Panthers. (Indy 34% vs Panthers 38%) But they can score on a short field (12 scoring drives against 18 total drives, 66%)

Chip Kelly Offense driving 80+yards (scoring 31% (ranked 11th), but only 7% are TDs, ranked 30th).

WTF Stat: The panthers are one of only 2 teams who's scoring % goes down as field position gets better. League Average is a 7% improvement. (13% delta).

Definitely a disheartening stat. I feel this most effectively describes our offensive shortcomings. Sadly, I suspect that these numbers are even padded a little bit by the offensive success in the Giants' game to make us appear more efficient than we really are.

But specifically this stat reveals our offense's glaring weakness of failing to capitalize on situational advantages.  We are treading water in a league where the opportunistic offensive teams thrive (see the Broncos' numbers.)

But nice thread with some actually meaningful and interesting statistics for a change!

Archived