• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My First Carolina Experience

Lilsmitty09

...luckily we were given press box type seats, and were no where near the little fugs. 

A nearly dropped my laptop when I read this.

Glad you had fun.  Looks like you planned it perfectly keeping the days filled.  You're right about one thing, the stadium can be quiet.  I was at the inagural Seattle game (2002) in their "new" stadium when they played Arizona and if BoA had only a third of that noise volume we'd be blessed. 

Great read.  

Same question to you that lilsmitty gets asked.  How in the hell does a guy from Montana become a Panthers fan?  Not complaining, just don't get it.

And you are welcome down here anytime.

In no particular order:

1:  My favorite player of all time may be Jerry Rice, but I'll always be a defensive fan.  We were geared from day one to be a defensive team.  Bingo.

2:  Blue and black are two of my favorite colors, though black has waned in the preceding years.  I frankly would prefer a darker blue as I think it'd give off more of a dangerous, sleeker, predatory vibe, but the hell with it.  The black uniforms are noir enough.

3:  We beat the Cowbitches in 96 and I talked feces all week long at school.  Yes, the Packers promptly handed us our collective asses, but I didn't care.  We beat Evil.  That was enough.  The entire week previously I heard nothing but America's team this, Aikman that.

4:  Steve Smith becoming the wide receiver version of a demigod really says it all.  Those of us who are 5'9" need a role model too, dammit.

5:  At the time this franchise first started, no one in this state paid much attention to them and everyone as far as I remember was into the Packers, Cowboys, and maybe Pittsburgh.  I never have and never will root for the mainstream, and an NFL team existing in a primarily (as far as I'm given to understand) basketball state appeals to my curmudgeon ass.

6: Moments like the 2005 playoff game against the Bears, when I'm the only goddamn Panther fan in the room, and the entire bar is rooting for the Bears and they all start yelling hate threats at me just because we win makes me believe I made the right choice.  Tiny I may be in body, but my team's will was bigger than their bullshit bravado on that day and it'll always be one of my favorite memories.  That and X-Clown.  That and Smitty's td against the Texans.  Super Bowl 38, on the other hand, I can't watch through the fourth quarter.

7:  The closest I have ever come to a Charlotte encounter was in 2007 at my favorite Missoula bar, where for what the hell ever reason an entire buttload of Panther fans showed up when we played the Titans.  More than half the conversation was about how we needed to get the Super Bowl band back together, and I really didn't have much to say.  Actually being around fellow fans of the same team was such a weird experience that I just basked in it.

8:  Same reason I write science-fiction and horror.  It makes no financial, logical sense (made $10 whole dollars off of 3 stories, whoop di freakin' doo) and the resultant stress may be terrible for my health, but screw it.  I wasn't supposed to survive day one, and every day I do is another day to prove anyone who's ever doubted me wrong.

Archived