• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Riddell no longer official helmet of the NFL next year

There are helmets other than Riddell currently in use by certain players. Those helmets are simply blank where the Riddell logo would be. The way I understand it from an article I read is whichever company gets the exclusive rights is the only one that can have a visible logo.

http://www.inquisitr.com/1006603/riddell-helmets-will-no-longer-be-official-nfl-gear/

While NFL players can wear any helmet they choose, only Riddell was allowed to display its name on the helmet’s nose bumper. One-third of NFL players wear helmets from other manufacturers. Other popular choices among NFL players include, Schutt, Xenith and Rawlings.

I'm not sure what Andrew Luck has to do with wearing a Riddell helmet when 2/3rds of the players wear one as well right now.  (Unless you are declaring your Bromance for him.)

It wouldn't surprise me that the NFL doesn't pick an "Official Helmet Supplier" because of the lawsuits.

Don't look for there to be a exclusive helmet.  NFL doesn't want to be liable if players sue because a certain helmet fails to protect them.  They are going to let the players choose which brand to where so they wont be liable.

yea but if there is no official helmet then can every manufacturer: Schutt, Riddell, Under Armor, etc. start putting their logos on helmets next year instead of just Riddell?

Schutt has the best "concussion" helmets out as it is, anyway (the "Speed" and "Vengeance" helmets. Also, sidenote, they both look fuging SICK). Screw Riddell. I am assuming that it wont matter what the screw plate on the front says, so you won't see any blank ones. They'll all just have the manufacturer's name on it. Or they'll all be blank. One of the two.

Schutt has the best "concussion" helmets out as it is, anyway (the "Speed" and "Vengeance" helmets. Also, sidenote, they both look fuging SICK). Screw Riddell. I am assuming that it wont matter what the screw plate on the front says, so you won't see any blank ones. They'll all just have the manufacturer's name on it. Or they'll all be blank. One of the two.

Why the hate on Riddell?

Archived