• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Raymond Felton and Bobcats still not close to a deal

Source: Rotoworld per Charlotte Observer

Restricted free agent Raymond Felton and the Bobcats are not close to coming to an agreement on a long-term contract.

Felton’s first choice is to remain a Bobcat, but agent Kevin Bradbury will now explore other options. He can either get an offer sheet from another team or sign a $5.5 million qualifying offer and become unrestricted next season. "We’ll be reviewing our options, Bradbury said. "That’s not something I thought we’d have to do, up until this meeting." This doesn't look good for Charlotte, who is one team that did virtually nothing to improve over the summer.

I am starting to really question whether I want to continue to be a fan of this team. It seems like they aren't even trying to make the playoffs. Teams in the East continue to get better day by day. Really can't see this team making the playoffs anytime in the near future.

I'm starting to wonder if Felton is looking for money in the 8-10 million a year range.

I think he is probably looking at 8 or 9 a year, whereas the bobs are looking at more 6 to 7.

these are some guys I would consider comparable to Felton on the market and their salaries for 2009:

TJ Ford-8 mil

Devin Harris-7.8 mil

Jameer Nelson-7.7 mil

I actually just picked a couple guys who reminded me of Felton as far as talent level, age, and what they mean to their team. Their salaries are all really close, so I think this is where the negotiations end up....maybe around 7.5 since we have a little leverage with Augustin, and Felton wants to stay in Charlotte. Thoughts?

You don't get better by overpaying the 20th best PG in the NBA with a long term deal.

We need Felton, I don't think some people understand this. If we don't re-sign Felton, who will backup D.J.??? Do we really think D.J. is ready to lead a team at the point? I don't think he is, I love the guy and I think he is going to be really good some day. I just don't think he is ready yet. If we don't get Felton back they better have had a plan all along.

This team hasn't done anything in this offseason to get better.

these are some guys I would consider comparable to Felton on the market and their salaries for 2009:

TJ Ford-8 mil

Devin Harris-7.8 mil

Jameer Nelson-7.7 mil

Those players are all substantially better than Felton. In fact, all three are all star players. Felton isn't even close.

We need Felton, I don't think some people understand this. If we don't re-sign Felton, who will backup D.J.??? Do we really think D.J. is ready to lead a team at the point? I don't think he is, I love the guy and I think he is going to be really good some day. I just don't think he is ready yet. If we don't get Felton back they better have had a plan all along.

This team hasn't done anything in this offseason to get better.

DJ is ready to lead the team, but your point about depth is well taken, they have no backup behind him. Pay Felton what he is worth, but don't overpay because of your depth situation. Felton should get a contract worth about 6 million per year. Seeing as how the Bobcats have overpaid to retain everyone of their free agents, maybe he gets 8 million but he isn't worth it.

Here are Felton's and Augustin's stats from last year. The rank is based on where they are with other point guards, not the entire NBA.

Raymond Felton Stats

Points Per Game- 14th

Field Goal %- 20th

Three Point %- 29th

Free Throw %- 20th

Offensive Rebounds- 12th

Offensive Rebounds Per Game- 11th

Defensive Rebounds- 4th

Defensive Rebounds Per Game- 4th

Rebounds- 7th

Rebounds Per Game- 8th

Assists- 8th

Assists Per Game- 11th

Steals- 5th

Steals Per Game- 5th

Blocks- 3rd

Blocks Per Game- 2nd

Double-Double's- 16th

D.J. Augustin Stats

Points Per Game- 18th

Field Goal %- NA

Three Point %- 3rd

Free Throw %- 5th

Offensive Rebounds- NA

Offensive Rebounds Per Game- 37th

Defensive Rebounds- 41st

Defensive Rebounds Per Game- 32nd

Rebounds- 42nd

Rebounds Per Game- 33rd

Assists- 36th

Assists Per Game- 31st

Steals- 45th

Steals Per Game- 34th

Blocks- NA

Blocks Per Game- 37th

Double-Double's- 30th

Stat wise it kind of looks like we need Felton. I have changed the color to red to the stats where the player ranks in the top ten, and blue if they are ranked in the top twenty.

NOTE: If you average his stats togethor it ranks him as the 10th best point guard in the NBA.

Here are Felton's and Augustin's stats from last year. The rank is based on where they are with other point guards, not the entire NBA.

Raymond Felton Stats

Points Per Game- 14th

Field Goal %- 20th

Three Point %- 29th

Free Throw %- 20th

Offensive Rebounds- 12th

Offensive Rebounds Per Game- 11th

Defensive Rebounds- 4th

Defensive Rebounds Per Game- 4th

Rebounds- 7th

Rebounds Per Game- 8th

Assists- 8th

Assists Per Game- 11th

Steals- 5th

Steals Per Game- 5th

Blocks- 3rd

Blocks Per Game- 2nd

Double-Double's- 16th

D.J. Augustin Stats

Points Per Game- 18th

Field Goal %- NA

Three Point %- 3rd

Free Throw %- 5th

Offensive Rebounds- NA

Offensive Rebounds Per Game- 37th

Defensive Rebounds- 41st

Defensive Rebounds Per Game- 32nd

Rebounds- 42nd

Rebounds Per Game- 33rd

Assists- 36th

Assists Per Game- 31st

Steals- 45th

Steals Per Game- 34th

Blocks- NA

Blocks Per Game- 37th

Double-Double's- 30th

Stat wise it kind of looks like we need Felton. I have changed the color to red to the stats where the player ranks in the top ten, and blue if they are ranked in the top twenty.

NOTE: If you average his stats togethor it ranks him as the 10th best point guard in the NBA.

Those stats shown like that make Felton look like a top 15 PG, maybe even top 10. But alas I don't think he is or will ever be a top 10 PG. He's good just not that good.

Those stats shown like that make Felton look like a top 15 PG, maybe even top 10. But alas I don't think he is or will ever be a top 10 PG. He's good just not that good.

Oh I agree and I am a Tar Heel fan to, I just don't think he will be able to get his shot to be as smooth as Augustin's is. If Felton could get a better shot he would be a sick nasty point guard, but Augustin is just amazing when it comes to shooting the ball.

I think he is probably looking at 8 or 9 a year, whereas the bobs are looking at more 6 to 7.

TJ Ford-8 mil

Devin Harris-7.8 mil

Jameer Nelson-7.7 mil

I actually just picked a couple guys who reminded me of Felton as far as talent level, age, and what they mean to their team. Their salaries are all really close, so I think this is where the negotiations end up....maybe around 7.5 since we have a little leverage with Augustin, and Felton wants to stay in Charlotte. Thoughts?

My question is what year did those guys get those contracts? Player price goes up every year... and those guys could be getting less than what they're worth.

I am a believer in DJ. I think if he progresses the way he should this year, he'll be a stud/starter the next year.

If we give Felton 8 mil he'll be getting starter pay for backup minutes in a year or so.... I think he's worth around 7 mil. and maybe we trade him after the season. If we can't sign him though, we're screwed unless something unforseen and fortuitous happens.

Archived