• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Swag's 2014 Mock Draft V.1

Swaggasaurus

The reason that Tampa is probably going to part ways with Reavis is that they are going to play the Tampa two zone under Lovie and you don't need a big time shut down corner to play that system ($$$). If we are playing the zone, then would we need to spend a first rounder on a shutdown corner? Or one that thinks he is?

Don't think the kid is bad at all, but with our D, we need to spend the money with our front seven. Just my opinion.

Find a very quick guy in the third and plug him in the rotation with all the youngsters we have right now

You answered your own question. Verrett is not a Revis. Imo, hes really close to Asante Samuel but a better tackler. Verrett played a lot of press, off-man, and zone coverage schemes at TCU. Hes more of a zone guy than man.

Our front seven is set. We need help badly in the secondary especially at corner. Verrett would bold well for us.

The point was, that if you are drafting a guy in the first, then he had better be a press, shutdown corner cause you are going pay the man.  The further point was, that with our scheme, we can get a quick guy in the 3 or 4th and put him in and do just fine.  Taking him rather than an OT or WR in the first and second is a luxury we don't need at this point.  Just my opinion.

The point was, that if you are drafting a guy in the first, then he had better be a press, shutdown corner cause you are going pay the man. The further point was, that with our scheme, we can get a quick guy in the 3 or 4th and put him in and do just fine. Taking him rather than an OT or WR in the first and second is a luxury we don't need at this point. Just my opinion.

I get what youre saying. The thing is you dont pass up on a talented corner just bc hes not considered a shutdown corner. Why do you think guys like Prince, Kirkpatrick, Gilmore, and DJ Hayden all went in the 1st the last three years. They werent the typical shutdown corners but zone guys.

Theres not a lot of guys in the NFL today that is your shutdown guys either. Also I only see one guy in this draft that could be a shutdown guy and thats Dennard.

We run a Jim Johnson defense that dont need a shutdown corner. We rely on the zone so why would we even draft a shutdown guy? Youre going against your own words you said earlier about Lovie and Revis now.

The point was, that if you are drafting a guy in the first, then he had better be a press, shutdown corner cause you are going pay the man.  The further point was, that with our scheme, we can get a quick guy in the 3 or 4th and put him in and do just fine.  Taking him rather than an OT or WR in the first and second is a luxury we don't need at this point.  Just my opinion.

I agree it makes a ton of sense to me. If you look at my OP I say that I don't value corner, obviously the team doesn't either nor should they because of the defensive scheme. But at the end of the day it's the end of round 1 and you need to get a guy who is a day one starter. Doesn't make sense to reach for an OT after 5 have already came off of the board just because it is a need. I would rather have an OT or WR as well, we are weakest there, but the ones who, in my opinion will be on the board have glaring questions, I question the deep speed of Allen Robinson, Matthews, and Benjamin. I question the feet of both Richardson and Cyrus. I don't question Verrett, safe pick for round 1, reach a little later.

Im not saying we should go corner first. Imo, Id like to have an OT or WR first.

If guys like Lewan and Kouandjio are gone, I wouldnt mind going with Verrett. Those (Lewan/Kouandjio) are the only two guys that I wouldnt be able to pass up on if was there. Verrett can be a day 1 starter. DFlo is also old and might not be back. We need someone opposite of White. Big no, no to Norman and Thomas.

Im not overly obsessed by Tiny Richardson and Ogbuehi that I will take Verrett or Roby over them.

And, I really believe that we can get Kelvin Benjamin, Odell Beckham, Moncrief, Matthews or Devante Adams in the late 2nd.

Right now its all thoughts only. Too ealry, thats why its just a mock. All of our biggest needs (WR/OT/CB) can all be fill through the draft. Luckily, this is a deep draft all all those positions. We could go which ever way we want.

Im not saying we should go corner first. Imo, Id like to have an OT or WR first.

If guys like Lewan and Kouandjio are gone, I wouldnt mind going with Verrett. Bc he can be a day 1 starter. DFlo is also old and might not be back. We need someone opposite of White. No no to Norman and Thomas.

Im not overly obsessed by Tiny Richardson and Ogbuehi that I will take Verrett or Roby over them.

And, i really believe that we can get Kelvin Benjamin, Odell Beckham, Moncrief, Matthews or Devante Adams in the late 1st.

Ogbuehi just got a 1st round grade from the advisory board. His feet are beautiful. I suspect he goes after Matthews and Robinson.

Ogbuehi just got a 1st round grade from the advisory board. His feet are beautiful. I suspect he goes after Matthews and Robinson.

I saw that too. Hes ahead of Lewan and Richardson now.

Hes amazing in pass protection but Im not seeing a lot of run blocking. We run a lot in this offense too that I think if we wanted an OT that Gman would go Richardson before Ogbuehi.

Im not really sure about these Texas A&M OTs (Joeckel, Matthews, Ogbuehi). Dont get me wrong, I know that they are some bad boys but they do get a lot of help from Manziel's legs. I mean a lot.

Am I the only one who doesn't care who we draft? I have faith the team will draft someone with extreme talent. Example Newton 2011, Kuechly 2012, Lotulelei 2013. ??? 2014.

Yes, on the draft forum, you seem to be an oddity. 

That's like going to the Tbox and saying "I dont care who we elect"

I'm glad the college football season has all but wrapped up so that these players have shown us all they have to show in pads. We will see how the underwear changes things up in Indy.

FA-

We will sign some of our own guys, Hardy (at least tag him), Ginn, Mitchell. We sign scrapheap/JAG's to fill holes.

Onto the draft:

Round 1- Jason Verrett-CB-TCU -5'10''-176

ncf_u_jasonverrett_ms_400x600.jpg

Hell yeah I want to fix the offense, we all do. But I want an elite talent, a day one starter. I don't value the CB position, never have, Reggie Howard and Terry Cousin say "Hi". However I feel like Verrett is a sure thing and BPA. Verrett fits our scheme perfectly with his ability to watch the QB and drive on the ball. Verrett is a bona-fide ballhawk with 8 picks and 30 pass breakups in the last two years. He is also aggressive in run support, a must have for me in a CB. I didn't go with WR here because I feel like outside of the first two guys, they have some question marks.

Round 2-Donte Moncrief-WR-Ole Miss-6'2''-225

F926734.jpg

This guy has it all, size, 4.4 speed, hands, what he doesn't have it what makes him a second rounder. No 1,000 yard season, no QB to throw him the ball. Moncrief is a bit of a diva, all the good ones are though right? He is a good blocker and shows an intense desire for the game.

Round 3-Billy Turner-OT-North Dakota State- 6'5''-310

billy.jpg

Who? FCS player who dominates his FCS competitors, a big, aggressive lineman. Not a guy Walter and the like are talking about, but they will be. Most people want on OT earlier, and one who plays premier talent. I get that, but for me Turner's mean streak and effort sticks out. It's rare to see an O-lineman with the motor on this guy, his athleticism reminds me a little of Marcus McNeil, it's a risk, but one that I think will work out. Look for him to rise from the abyss into that 2nd tier of OT.

Round 4-Richard Rodgers-TE-Cal-6'4''-245

628x471.jpg

Rodgers is a guy who has average size, average numbers. He excels in gaining yards after contact and has the skills to be a good, not great player. 608 yards receiving this year on a horrible team, with horrible QB play. Cal is bad, bad. His dad is our special teams coordinator, that aside he is worthy at this spot and we need another tight end.

Round 5- Isiah Lewis-S-Michigan State-5'10''-210

hi-res-5708198_display_image.jpg

We need safety depth at the least. Lewis is a downhill player who comes to the ball instead of waiting for it to get to him. I like that from DB's. Lewis has had 2 picks in each of the last two years, but has a knack for getting his hand in there for deflections. He is a bit undersized at 5'10'' but knows how to tackle low and drop bigger players down to his level.

Round 7- Michael Schofield-OT-Michigan-6'6''-305

michael+schofield.jpg

The guy is a solid RT for the Wolverines. As you can see, he's not a natural knee bender, he needs to gain some weight. A lot of flaws with this guy, but when you watch the game footage you can see that he gets the job done even though it's not pretty. Would be good depth for our line.

Thoughts?

I disagree with your draft especially in the 1st round picking up a CB whose impact on team would be far less than vs a  OL on  offense. We already have # 1 defense and now its time to build the offense up. You already see the impact a top talent lineman has on Defense and we should do  likewise for the Offense line which should solve half of the offense problems.

1st round  RG-  Gabe Jackson 6'3" 335lbs  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA-nDbk3k3c  

LT-  Cyrus Kouandjio 6'6" 310lbs     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh13wobMI5Q

RG-  Cyril Rhicardson 6'5" 330lbs   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh13wobMI5Q

LT- Antonio Richardson 6'6" 327lbs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yYmrqbUMOg

2nd round  WR - Kelvin Benjamin  6'5" 235lbs  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk2T3FAEkCk

WR - Jordan Mathews 6'3"  206lbs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3dD3fgfVms

WR- Odell Beckham / Jarvis Landry http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8KoAJ-Y5MU

3rd round OT- David Yankey 6'5" 315lbs 

OG- Chris Watt  6'3" 330lbs 

OG- Jon Halapio 6'3" 320lbs

4th round TE- Austin Seferian Jenkins 6'7" 270lbs 

5th round DB- Deion Belue  5'11" 185lbs 

Archived