• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

It's gone snow.

Darth Biscuit

Seriously.  How would NYC fair if they had three snow plows and four dump trucks?  Just like Charlotte or any other southern city that doesn't have the equipment to deal with it.  But they don't because it snows heavily up there every single winter so they have the equipment and experience to deal with it.

Why don't they have the equipment? Because this only happens once every 4 or 5 years and it's not worth the expense.

Seriously.  How would NYC fair if they had three snow plows and four dump trucks?  Just like Charlotte or any other southern city that doesn't have the equipment to deal with it.  But they don't because it snows heavily up there every single winter so they have the equipment and experience to deal with it.

Why don't they have the equipment? Because this only happens once every 4 or 5 years and it's not worth the expense.

Actually Atlanta has a bunch of new equipment. Not sure if they deployed it like they should have.

The city now has 30 spreaders, 40 snowplows and 70,000 tons of sand and gravel

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/29/us/winter-weather/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Actually Atlanta has a bunch of new equipment. Not sure if they deployed it like they should have.

Well then yeah, that's just mismanagement if they had it and didn't use it.

We certainly don't have anything like that... and as it just happens, I was on the phone with a guy from SCDOT and he said they have 9 plows for all of Columbia.

From what I read on reddit, the forecast was for accumulation and ice in the suburbs south of Atlanta. That's where the equipment was. The storm actually hitting downtown the way it hit was apparently a surprise. The forecast called for insignificant flurries.

Once Atlanta, a commuter city, was evacuated there were basically 3-5 million people leaving at once. The snow plows could not get to the areas they were needed the most.

Atlanta is in the foothills - it's actually the highest major city east of the Mississippi. Hills and black ice do not mix. Total disaster.

From what I read on reddit, the forecast was for accumulation and ice in the suburbs south of Atlanta. That's where the equipment was. The storm actually hitting downtown the way it hit was apparently a surprise. The forecast called for insignificant flurries.

Most are saying that the Governor and Mayor are full of it

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/30/us/atlanta-ice-how-it-happened/index.html?hpt=us_c2

CLAIM: This was an "unexpected storm," and Atlanta didn't play it safe like New Orleans did

As thousands of Atlanta commuters sat motionless on interstates Tuesday night into Wednesday, Georgia's governor said the path of the storm caught officials off guard.

"We have been confronted with an unexpected storm that has hit the metropolitan Atlanta area," Deal told reporters late Tuesday night.

He said as of 10 a.m. ET on Tuesday, "it was still, in most of the forecasts, anticipated that the city of Atlanta would only have a mild dusting or a very small accumulation, if any, and that the majority of the effects of the storm would be south of here. Preparations were made for those predictions."

REALITY: No it wasn't, and Atlanta should have

The National Weather Service put the entire Atlanta metro area under a winter storm warning at 3:38 a.m. Tuesday. The agency warned of 1 to 2 inches of snow accumulation and said it would begin "as early as mid-morning and last into tonight."

CNN meteorologist Chad Myers said Atlanta had plenty of warning. Myers himself had predicted that up to 2 inches of snow would fall.

In reality, just over 2 inches of snow landed in Atlanta. While that's nothing for most Northern cities, it can be a huge burden for Southern cities not accustomed to it.

No way schools should have been open

Ummmm.....I am no meteorologist but I am going to have to say that the largest Hurricane in history is just a tad worse than 1/2" of snow.

Wait....that was sarcasm wasn't it?

a

It was barely a cat 1.

Like our snow, the north "wasn't prepared" to deal with it.

You do know NYC is an island, right? The coast of NJ was destroyed. Half of lower Manhattan lost power and flooded. Do you talk smack to people in New Orleans about Katrina? What about people on the SC coast during Hugo? But yeah, you hurricane peeps know how to "handle" it, lol.

You mad. I'm just messing with you guys anyway. I loved when Charlotte would shut down.

Why would I brag about not having car payments or insurance payments? I actually miss driving though. It's just not needed here.

Yet you act like January 2011 never happened. Yell, you snowstorm folk in the rotten apple sure know how to handle the snow.

I got pulled in the makeshift sled (huge glue container cut in half - it's a step up from the jackass poo from yesterday) by the 4 wheeler today while my family and numerous teenagers from around the community laughed. They even have it on video, but my daughter is laughing so hard it's hard to see. My back and arse are now sore and bruised.

My yard and the surrounding fields look like a tank raddled war zone. All the other yards are still pristine and white. 

Archived