• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The mobile quarterbacks.

Evengelion

Well that argument can be for any game any Sunday. Team A won 24-23, team A's defense didn't give up more than 23 points. See how that work. Peyton have 4 franchise type WRs playing with him. Based on the players' likability the media will determine how to spin that. Russel was throwing darts and marching the ball down the field. I don't think they punted even once. The D scored 9 points and special team scored 7. The offense scored the rest of the points.

The Seahawks were up 22-0 before Russell Wilson accounted for a TD.  Defense rests.  Literally.

You do realize Wilson isn't the first mobile QB to win a Superbowl right?

He doesn't really know what the term means.

I always have to laugh when people talk about mobile quarterbacks as if it were something new. Fran Tarkenton, Roger Staubach, John Elway, Steve Young, Steve McNair...and those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. There have been plenty of others along the way.

And no one has ever doubted that a mobile quarterback can win big games and championships. The quarterbacks that people don't believe in (and rightly so) are the 'run first' and/or 'one read and take off' quarterbacks. The most prominent example of That type would be Michael Vick. Randall Cunningham falls into that category too, primarily because that's all Buddy Ryan ever wanted him to be (he went to Minnesota in the twilight of his career and they actually tried to make him a better passer, but it was too late). Other examples are guys like Eric Crouch, Pat White and probably RG3 too. I've argued before that Jake Locker is also this type but I've got a Titan fan friend who vehemently disagrees.

So please, let's just get this utterly ignorant notion that people hate mobile quarterbacks out of the way. It's not true, never has been true, and never will be.

Quarterbacks don't fail because they can run. They fail because they can't pass, read defenses, or do a lot of the other things successful quarterbacks do.

Truthfully, in a good number of cases (arguably the majority) it's because of coaching. Buddy Ryan didn't see the need to develop Cunningham into more of a true passer because his philosophy was that as long as Cunningham made two or three big plays a game, his defense would handle the rest. More baffling than that though is the case of David Carr with the Texans. His coaches never even tried to teach him to read defenses. They just told him 'throw to the spot the play design calls for' and left it at that. Hardly shocking he wound up a failure.

Thankfully for us, the Panthers have insisted on developing Newton as a passer, not just a runner. Ditto Russell Wilson.

Bottom line: These guys pushing the agenda that there's some kind of agenda against mobile QBs ultimately wind up looking pretty stupid. No doubt someone will say "but quarterbacks are more athletic than ever now" which, while true, ignores the fact that so is every other position on the field outside of kicker, punter and long snapper.

Dual threat QBs aren't a new thing. They've been around for decades. The guys who fail aren't dual threat QBs because to have that title,you must be able to effectively run AND pass. Guys who are great runners but lousy passers are the failures.

And no, Wilson isn't the first mobile quarterback to win a Super Bowl. Heck, I named three that did it before him at the top of the post. If you really believe he's the first example,, chances are you don't know much about football.

Today games shows

It doesn't matter what the color of the qb is to win a super bowl

it doesn't matter if the qb can run to win the a super bowl

You can be the best prototypical qb in the league you are not guarantee to win the super bowl 

Without the right pieces you can't win the big ones.

Racism and racist have no logic. Sometimes they have to be shut up and embarrassed like Jesse Owens did to Hitler.

Thank god someone isn't an idiot.  I'm not old enough to have watched Tarkenton and Staubach, but Young and Elway were most certainly mobile QBs.  Hell, even Favre was pretty damn mobile.  He wasn't much of a runner in terms of rushing yards, but he made a lot of plays throwing the ball while scrambling outside of the pocket.

When people say "mobile QBs" won't win the Super Bowl, I think they're primarily talking about the stereotypical college option QB.  And I think they're right in that regard.  You have to be able to throw the football to win in the NFL.  Being mobile is just icing on the cake.  We didn't draft Cam Newton solely because he was big and he could run.  We evaluated him and decided that he could play QB in the NFL and playing QB in the NFL means being proficient throwing the football.  Even Kaepernick is a very good thrower of the football.  I question his ability to stay disciplined and go through a progression, but he CAN throw a football at a high level.

Seattle's defense might have made the big plays tonight, but let's not have jealousy get in the way and discredit Russell's performance in getting his team to and winning the Super Bowl. If not for his defense shitting the bed for the majority of the game against the Falcons last year, he might have 2 SB rings in two years. He didn't exactly have an offensive juggernaut around him either as this was Percy Harvin's first complete game, and Marshawn Lynch had 2.6 yards per carry tonight.

EDIT: Re: Mobile quarterback talk, are we forgetting that Aaron Rodgers is not a statue in the pocket either?

How and why did race enter this conversation?  Do y'all remember Eric Crouch?  Stereotypical college option QB.  The NFL wanted him, but not as a QB.  He decided to not continue playing football.  Hell, you could pretty much say the same thing about The Golden Calf of Bristol.  Race has nothing to do with it.

Seattle's defense might have made the big plays tonight, but let's not have jealousy get in the way and discredit Russell's performance in getting his team to and winning the Super Bowl. If not for his defense shitting the bed for the majority of the game against the Falcons last year, he might have 2 SB rings in two years. He didn't exactly have an offensive juggernaut around him either as this was Percy Harvin's first complete game, and Marshawn Lynch had 2.6 yards per carry tonight.

EDIT: Re: Mobile quarterback talk, are we forgetting that Aaron Rodgers is not a statue in the pocket either?

Wilson was good.  But, the majority of his stats were put up with the game well out of reach. 

Jealousy?  Why would we be jealous?  Not sure if any GM outside of Seattle's would take Russell Wilson over Cam Newton if given the choice.  And honestly, if the chips were down on the table, I'm not sure if Seattle's would.

The Seahawks were up 22-0 before Russell Wilson accounted for a TD.  Defense rests.  Literally.

the offense had 3 possessions deep in the Broncos redzone. Wilson was converting 3rd downs at will. Do you understand this, seattle did not punt the football. I don't think Wilson was touch once in this game because he was giving his receivers so much time with his scrambling. I can make the argument that immobile QBs were winning SBs by default because they were facing other immobile QBs. You know what happens you a team don't punt? It means they put points on the board. I don't know about you but the NFL just got a little tougher.

How and why did race enter this conversation?  Do y'all remember Eric Crouch?  Stereotypical college option QB.  The NFL wanted him, but not as a QB.  He decided to not continue playing football.  Hell, you could pretty much say the same thing about The Golden Calf of Bristol.  Race has nothing to do with it.

I agree, this has nothing to do with race. While a lot of people associate the two and the history of the black QB and the dual threat QB are similar, dual threat QB does not mean black qb.

Manizel, I would consider dual threat. Winston I would consider mobile in the Big Ben mold, and Bridgewater and Geno Smith are pretty much pocket passers.

Wilson was good.  But, the majority of his stats were put up with the game well out of reach. 

Jealousy?  Why would we be jealous?  Not sure if any GM outside of Seattle's would take Russell Wilson over Cam Newton if given the choice.  And honestly, if the chips were down on the table, I'm not sure if Seattle's would.

Sounds like a lot of jealousy when people aren't giving Wilson credit for his share of the win...painting a picture as if Jimmy Clausen could have been Seattle's QB and they would have similar results. It's also the same BS that Cam haters say about the defense being the reason we were a playoff team this year and overlooking his contributions.

Can't it just be accepted that they are both good quarterbacks, and giving Russell an amount of credit doesn't and shouldn't take anything away from Cam?

Teams that run read option and have mobile QBs:

Seahawks

49ers

Eagles

Panthers

Foles is not a mobile QB. They just fit him in the system. In fact, Chip hasn't committed to him yet as their franchise QB because he doesn't fit his system. Chip is still waiting for his guy. Foles struggled in the playoffs because he couldn't handle plays that required him to be aggressive on the ground.

Racism and racist have no logic. Sometimes they have to be shut up and embarrassed like Jesse Owens did to Hitler.

Jessie Owens defended Hitler as an Olympic host and the German citizens and criticized American leaders and the American people as racists.

Also the Germans won the most gold medals, silver medals and bronze medals during that Olympiad. Not sure how that is an embarrassment. I believe it's the best they've ever done.

"Hitler didn't snub me – it was FDR who snubbed me. The president didn't even send me a telegram."

Hitler sent Owens a commemorative inscribed cabinet photograph of himself.[19] Honors were not bestowed upon Jesse Owens by either President Franklin D. Roosevelt or his successor Harry S. Truman during their terms. In 1955, President Dwight D. Eisenhower (himself an athlete of note) honored Owens by naming him an "Ambassador of Sports."

Harry S. Truman was extremely racist, if culturally so. I read about some of his personal comments to his friends and family and it's pretty extreme. I don't know much about FDR though.

Owens was allowed to travel with and stay in the same hotels in Germany as whites, while at the time African Americans in many parts of the United States had to stay in segregated hotels while traveling.

Archived