• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The mobile quarterbacks.

Evengelion

Russell Wilson and his scrambling ability had to be accounted for in the Broncos game plan.

So his scrambling ability had an impact on the outcome before the game ever started.

There was a very successful QB with a similar style way back in the 1960s and 70s called Fran Tarkenton.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TarkFr00.htm

Thank god someone isn't an idiot.  I'm not old enough to have watched Tarkenton and Staubach, but Young and Elway were most certainly mobile QBs.  Hell, even Favre was pretty damn mobile.  He wasn't much of a runner in terms of rushing yards, but he made a lot of plays throwing the ball while scrambling outside of the pocket.

When people say "mobile QBs" won't win the Super Bowl, I think they're primarily talking about the stereotypical college option QB.  And I think they're right in that regard.  You have to be able to throw the football to win in the NFL.  Being mobile is just icing on the cake.  We didn't draft Cam Newton solely because he was big and he could run.  We evaluated him and decided that he could play QB in the NFL and playing QB in the NFL means being proficient throwing the football.  Even Kaepernick is a very good thrower of the football.  I question his ability to stay disciplined and go through a progression, but he CAN throw a football at a high level.

When people talk about dual threat QBs they're referring to guys who could easily change position because of their speed. Those guys normally run in the 4.5ish. All humans can run if they're ask to but not all can run fast. The difference is as simple as that. Yes, a dual threat QB is a QB who is fast. Not just mere running.

Thank god someone isn't an idiot. I'm not old enough to have watched Tarkenton and Staubach, but Young and Elway were most certainly mobile QBs. Hell, even Favre was pretty damn mobile. He wasn't much of a runner in terms of rushing yards, but he made a lot of plays throwing the ball while scrambling outside of the pocket.

When people say "mobile QBs" won't win the Super Bowl, I think they're primarily talking about the stereotypical college option QB. And I think they're right in that regard. You have to be able to throw the football to win in the NFL. Being mobile is just icing on the cake. We didn't draft Cam Newton solely because he was big and he could run. We evaluated him and decided that he could play QB in the NFL and playing QB in the NFL means being proficient throwing the football. Even Kaepernick is a very good thrower of the football. I question his ability to stay disciplined and go through a progression, but he CAN throw a football at a high level.

Have said this many times, and it's still just as true...

Quarterbacks who can run AND pass are gold.

Quarterbacks who can pass but can't run are silver.

Quarterbacks who can run but can't pass are fool's gold.

If you've got a true dual threat QB like a Steve Young or a Steve McNair or a John Elway, you can give opposing defenses a truckload of matchup problems. But to be in this category, you MUST be able to do BOTh effectively.

But let's say you have a guy who's no real run threat but is a great passer? No problem. Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Dan Marino, Joe Montana and plenty of other guys have won plenty of games and their fair share of championships. Most of these guys are what you'd call 'pocket mobile' but, truth be told, even a statue like Dan Marino can't be sacked of the ball is out of his hands before anyone can get to him.

And then you've got the third tier, the guys like Vince Young, Eric Crouch, etc. People go 'oooh' and 'aaah' over their highlight reels, but those highlight reels on ESPN's Top Ten Plays are pretty much the only trophies these guys will ever see.

Jessie Owens defended Hitler as an Olympic host and the German citizens and criticized American leaders and the American people as racists.

Also the Germans won the most gold medals, silver medals and bronze medals during that Olympiad. Not sure how that is an embarrassment. I believe it's the best they've ever done.

Harry S. Truman was extremely racist, if culturally so. I read about some of his personal comments to his friends and family and it's pretty extreme. I don't know much about FDR though.

Dude, don't bring politic off the field crap into this. Go defend Hitler somewhere else. I'm not really impressed. Fact was the Germans thought they were the superior race and athletic was one of their supposed domain of superiority and Owens humiliated them. For that period this was a pretty big deal.

Why the hell did I have to explain this whole thing to you. Certain things are just informational purpose to make a point. Take it at it's face value so you don't interrupt the topic at hand. Come on, man!

I think the bigger question now is: can a mobile QB continue to be a rushing threat and manage to avoid missing any time due to injury? Have to admit I worry about this a good bit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

If a QB is scrambling between the tackles 10 times a game, good luck to them. The way Wilson and Cam scramble away from the rush to find the open guy they have even less to worry about than the immobile QBs.

I think the bigger question now is: can a mobile QB continue to be a rushing threat and manage to avoid missing any time due to injury? Have to admit I worry about this a good bit.

It's a valid question.

The trend usually is that as they get older, they improve as passers and effectively compensate for diminishing athleticism.

Seattle's defense might have made the big plays tonight, but let's not have jealousy get in the way and discredit Russell's performance in getting his team to and winning the Super Bowl. If not for his defense shitting the bed for the majority of the game against the Falcons last year, he might have 2 SB rings in two years. He didn't exactly have an offensive juggernaut around him either as this was Percy Harvin's first complete game, and Marshawn Lynch had 2.6 yards per carry tonight.

EDIT: Re: Mobile quarterback talk, are we forgetting that Aaron Rodgers is not a statue in the pocket either?

If Rodgers were playing for the broncos he would have given his team a better shot because the receivers did catch the balls that were thrown their direction. As a QB that's all you can ask for. Peyton is not up for this. AFC teams now have the blue print for the broncos. I'm sure they'll be stacking up on D to go after peyton.

Foles is not a mobile QB. They just fit him in the system. In fact, Chip hasn't committed to him yet as their franchise QB because he doesn't fit his system. Chip is still waiting for his guy. Foles struggled in the playoffs because he couldn't handle plays that required him to be aggressive on the ground.

How about this:

4/6 QB, in the NFC playoffs, ran read option.

Archived