• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Re-watching playoff highlights

MtnProwler

Well because what else is there to watch? Three points I want to make, and mainly need your input on #3:

1)You want to beat SF and Seattle? You have to beat their pass rush. All this talk about the secondary, the way I see it they only beat us because of their pass rush. I hope our Oline becomes the priority this offseason.

2)Lafell didn't play that bad, in fact after emotionally getting over the loss, I hope we can keep him for the right price. He had as many clutch catches as Ginn toward the end of the game. Don't get me wrong we still need to address Smitty's replacement. After watching game film I think this has become #3 in priority behind Oline and DB.

3) THIS is what I'm wondering. I replayed the NFL Network feature of the Super Bowl highlights, did anyone else catch what the announcer said as Denver set to kickoff after the safety? Has there been a rule change?! If not that is about the dumbest thing I've heard especially considering on this stage, the Super Bowl.

Something to the effect (paraphrasing):

Good call for Denver to punt it this time instead of kicking off, this will allow them to get more air under it in order to get down there and cover the return man for Seattle.

Definitely just a brain fart, there was no rule change. While it is technically legal to place kick (no tee allowed) or drop kick on a safety kickoff, 99.9% of the time you'll see a punt in the pros so there is no risk of a big return. They do placekick occasionally in college/hHS because you can use a tee there, the only time I can recall an NFL team electing not to punt was a game where New England was down late and had just conceded a safety, so they basically tried an onside dropkick. It didn't work.

As to the others, we basically just need to shore up the right side of the line. Draft a tackle, re-sign Wharton and Gross and shift Amini to right guard and hold an open competition between the drafted player, Bell, and Chandler. And I'd be perfectly fine with keeping LaFell as long as we pay him like a #3 or #4 guy - I like him as a player, but he should be the fourth option after Smith, Olsen, and Ginn.

Archived