• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Salary Cap Calculator (ADVANCED)

thunderraiden

It would be 17 million the season after the next. The cap number this year would be 5 million. Gettleman isn't paid to be Cam's friend, but to look out for the franchise. It would be not smart to do it this offseason because it screws the whole cap, and there isn't an incentive for the team. The CBA screws young players.

Next offseason teams will have an incentive to work out an offseason. If they can't work it, they can franchise him the year after. The union really screwed the young players.

I understand that Cam will want an extension as soon as possible, but when they pick up the option, he get 17 million. That's what he made in 3 years.

If you give him an extension now, you can lower his contract value this season and next season while also eliminating the need for the possibility of a franchise tag at over 20 million. Maybe the cap hit will go up slightly this season, but next's will likely go down a bit. Plus the money isn't going to be fully guaranteed like it would be the other way. The biggest plus is you get the most important player on the team signed long term and are able to start building the team around him. 

It's beyond stupid to wait. He's going into year 4 with the ability to get a new contract, he knows it, his agent knows it and they will want it done. Waiting only runs the risk of pissing him and his agent off. 

There's tons of incentive for the team, they get to keep him on a long term deal with no need of a franchise tag in 2 seasons. They get a better idea of what the cap situation will look like in future years because of Cam's deal. It tells the casual fans that Cam is here to stay. It also doesn't screw the cap up too much. Like I said you can lower his base salary for this season and push it into future years where there's less of a cap issue. 

It would be 17 million the season after the next. The cap number this year would be 5 million. Gettleman isn't paid to be Cam's friend, but to look out for the franchise. It would be not smart to do it this offseason because it screws the whole cap, and there isn't an incentive for the team. The CBA screws young players.

Next offseason teams will have an incentive to work out an offseason. If they can't work it, they can franchise him the year after. The union really screwed the young players.

I understand that Cam will want an extension as soon as possible, but when they pick up the option, he get 17 million. That's what he made in 3 years.

Completely agree here. 

The union really made things fair between vets and young guys. All teams still have the same amount to spend but that extra money is going to guys who proved they can play. 

Making Godfrey a June 1 cut is pretty much the only major cut we can make... we're going to have to restructure some guys before we can start unloading the worst contracts next year.

There's actually quite a few cuts the team can make that create some pretty decent space.

I'll list the players and cap space as a regular cut and a June 1st.

1. Charles Godfrey - 2.1m savings - 5.1m savings

2. Dwan Edwards - 1.4m savings - N/A

3. Chase Blackburn - 950k Savings - N/A

4. Kealoha Pilares - 640k savings - N/A

5. Josh Thomas- 660k savings

6. Josh Norman - 520k Savings - 570k savings

If you cut those 6 players the team has around 22 million in cap space. Those cuts save the team 7 million this season and 5 million next season. 

I think he'll wait another year for that, though... and by then maybe he'll want to restructure if we're coming off a Super Bowl or primed for one. I don't think he'll do it this year because of all the dead money, though.

I for one hope we keep him but Gettleman drafted Kenjon Barner for this reason. Gettleman was looking ahead to this offseason. 

There's actually quite a few cuts the team can make that create some pretty decent space.

If you cut those 6 players the team has around 22 million in cap space. Those cuts save the team 7 million this season and 5 million next season. 

Keep in mind the June 1st cut pushes dead money into next year so net your still losing around 5mil but you get to spread that across 2 years. I wouldnt really call that savings if you still owe that money in the future.

What would be the point in cutting Godfrey? I mean one it's a position of need and he's actually a good player, looking at the Saving of $2mil can we resign as good a player for that kind of money? Deangelo cut doesn't make sense either, little cap space created and getting rid of a productive player who can stay healthy for Jstew is just crazy.

Keep in mind the June 1st cut pushes dead money into next year so net your still losing around 5mil but you get to spread that across 2 years. I wouldnt really call that savings if you still owe that money in the future.

I know it pushes money into next season but it still saves money next season as well compared to the current cap numbers. Godfrey saves the team quite a bit of money in 2014 and 2015 as a June 1st cut this season. Saves the team 5 million this season and a little over 4 million next season. In total cutting him as a June 1st cut saves the Panthers over 9 million over the next two seasons and 15 million over the next three seasons. 

That's a ton of savings for just one player. 

You have to look at it from the perspective of the player's talent, injury history and cap hit. 

Godfrey's coming off a major injury and wasn't that good when he did play last season. Then you have his cap hit, which shows that he's paid as a top NFL safety. Which he isn't even close to. 

His cap hit in 2014 is 7.1 million while his cap hit in 2015 is 7.1 and his cap hit in 2016 is 6.4. 

What would be the point in cutting Godfrey? I mean one it's a position of need and he's actually a good player, looking at the Saving of $2mil can we resign as good a player for that kind of money? Deangelo cut doesn't make sense either, little cap space created and getting rid of a productive player who can stay healthy for Jstew is just crazy.

Never mentioned Dwill in my cut list, but Godfrey makes a ton of sense as a June 1st cut. He saves the team 9 million over the 2014 and 2015 seasons and hasn't really played all that well. He's also coming off a major injury. 

Never mentioned Dwill in my cut list, but Godfrey makes a ton of sense as a June 1st cut. He saves the team 9 million over the 2014 and 2015 seasons and hasn't really played all that well. He's also coming off a major injury.

No others have suggested dwill being cut, cutting Godfrey only frees up little cap space though. It's good long term I guess as you say with a big injury who knows how he will return and big money he's guaranteed wiped off the books but for the little cap saving it will give us and another loss in personnel is it worth keeping him one more year?

No others have suggested dwill being cut, cutting Godfrey only frees up little cap space though. It's good long term I guess as you say with a big injury who knows how he will return and big money he's guaranteed wiped off the books but for the little cap saving it will give us and another loss in personnel is it worth keeping him one more year?

If he's a June 1st cut, he saves the team 5 million on the cap. That's likely enough to bring back both the starting safety's from last season plus have some left over in the pocket. 

If he's a June 1st cut, he saves the team 5 million on the cap. That's likely enough to bring back both the starting safety's from last season plus have some left over in the pocket.

Thanks so many number being thrown around by people I wasn't sure, need mitchell back but I'm not so sure on mikkel though, but if there's money available from cutting Godfrey I guess we can bring in someone else in FA unless we draft a safety.

Why would we cut Dwan or Chase, exactly? They are some of the few veterans on our defense.

He's injured, and we could probably sign Mikell and Mitchell again with the money we would save.

Archived