• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I met Jimmy Clausen last night

8 0 5

Clausen was not mentally ready before he even stepped on the field. That team was 2-14 because of Jimmy Clausen. Sure we had a weak o-line but we still had Steve Smith, LaFell, and a David Gettis that wanted to play football. 

The team was not the reason Clausen would never throw down field. All he ever did was check down. He simply played like a chicken and didn't want to throw picks. That same squad was competitive with Matt Moore at QB. He's the guy we should feel sorry for.

What was done to Jimmy Clausen that year was criminal. No rookie in the history of professional football could have performed in any form or fashion with that offense. I am no Clausen fan but to say the team was bad because of him is just plain ridiculous. Even the great quarterbacks suck without an offensive line. Let alone a qb that young. I have never understood the level of hate for this guy. I don't think he is a good player but we will never know. Any shred of confidence and ability he might have possessed was absolutely ruined that year. 

OK so lets say 2010 isn't on him. What has he done since then? Apparently he just never was that good to begin with.

You missed the point. He was ruined that year. Of course he has done nothing since. Quarterbacks used to be given time to develop. Throwing them into the fire is a fairly new phenomenon. 

Clausen may not be done in the NFL, but he's certainly done in Carolina, and has been since we drafted Newton.  To his credit he's never complained or asked for a trade or done anything but be a good team player. 

And yeah, he was kind of thrown to the wolves-- rookie, saddled with a Jeff Davidson offense, rookie receivers and an angry Smitty, bad line play, and no real running game, and he still performed as well as Matt Moore.  What we saw was pretty bad, but it probably wasn't the level he's capable of.  While there's every chance that he's decided to take the money and hold a clipboard for as long as he can stick on an NFL roster, he may also try and hook up with another team that gives him a shot to compete next year.

Consider that Christian Ponder, Thad Lewis, Chad Henne, Chase Daniel, Kellen Clemens, and Cleveland's flavor of the week were all starting games last year.  Is it that far-fetched that Clausen couldn't compete with that crowd?  Not saying that he'll join the ranks of the great, but he's got to be an improvement for someone out there.

Archived