• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

SB Nation Bloggers Draft

Oh I'm sorry, it's only o.k. for you to draw baseless comparisons between players that went to the same school? Carry on then....

Also, this argument....

We drafted two guys from the same school and they didn't pan out. Because of that no other player is going to pan out, BUT only for the Panthers. Do you not understand how incredibly ignorant that is? 

My judgement isn't clouded, I'm just a little more rational and can see through stupid BS like he wore a USC uniform he'll bust for Carolina. Sorry that you cant, seems like a you problem quite honestly....

Dude you're a fuging Southern California fan.  Of course you're gonna make excuses, but facts are simple.  Every time our Panthers have drafted a WR from USC they have been as useful as a football bat.  

No you're just saying avoid drafting a player because other players completely unrelated to him were busts... perfectly reasonable. 

Players who came out of a similar offensive system.  That's not completely unrelated.

I can understand why USC fans are sensitive on the subject, admittedly I probably would be too if someone was making similar claims against my college team.  However, to the neutral observer, I don't think it's a stretch to draw a correlation there.  The question becomes how strong of a correlation to draw.

Dude you're a fuging Southern California fan.  Of course you're gonna make excuses, but facts are simple.  Every time our Panthers have drafted a WR from USC they have been as useful as a football bat.  

Can you seriously not comprehend that their failures have nothing to do with Lee? For fugs sake dude....

Players who came out of a similar offensive system.  That's not completely unrelated.

I can understand why USC fans are sensitive on the subject, admittedly I probably would be too if someone was making similar claims against my college team.  However, to the neutral observer, I don't think it's a stretch to draw a correlation there.  The question becomes how strong of a correlation to draw.

I'm not a USC fan.  

Want a correlation?  How about the teams that drafted lose players (too high) all suck at evaluating WRs.  Carolina has missed on the last 10 WRs they've drafted.  The Lions also picked Charles Rogers, Roy Williams, Ryan Broyles, Titus Young and Derrick WIlliams.  Jaguars? Reggie Williams, Matt Jones, Mike Walker, Justin Blackmon.  Dolphins picked up Ted Ginn and Derek Hagan.  Titans? Kenny Britt and Paul Williams. Kendall Wright looks decent but we'll see, Justin Hunter gave them next to nothing last year but also too early to tell.

I'm not a USC fan.  

Want a correlation?  How about the teams that drafted lose players (too high) all suck at evaluating WRs.  Carolina has missed on the last 10 WRs they've drafted.  The Lions also picked Charles Rogers, Roy Williams, Ryan Broyles, Titus Young and Derrick WIlliams.  Jaguars? Reggie Williams, Matt Jones, Mike Walker, Justin Blackmon.  Dolphins picked up Ted Ginn and Derek Hagan.  Titans? Kenny Britt and Paul Williams. Kendall Wright looks decent but we'll see, Justin Hunter gave them next to nothing last year but also too early to tell.

Sure.  Bad teams generally miss quite often in the draft.

Roy Williams is a head scratcher.  He's another guy who looked like the real deal early on then just fell off the map.  Justin Blackmon is the real deal on the field, he's just a damn drunk.  Hard to believe a guy who went in the top 5 and who I would assume was heavily looked into by teams had that kind of substance abuse problem fly under the radar.  Hell, leading up to the draft, despite his prior DUI, most people raved about the guy off the field.  It's easy to chalk up a DUI to nothing more than a stupid juvenile mistake, but in hindsight it's quite obvious that at least the Jaguars missed a huge red flag with Blackmon.

Sure.  Bad teams generally miss quite often in the draft.

Roy Williams is a head scratcher.  He's another guy who looked like the real deal early on then just fell off the map.  Justin Blackmon is the real deal on the field, he's just a damn drunk.  Hard to believe a guy who went in the top 5 and who I would assume was heavily looked into by teams had that kind of substance abuse problem fly under the radar.  Hell, leading up to the draft, despite his prior DUI, most people raved about the guy off the field.  It's easy to chalk up a DUI to nothing more than a stupid juvenile mistake, but in hindsight it's quite obvious that at least the Jaguars missed a huge red flag with Blackmon.

Right the point is those players were overdrafted not that USC WRs can't translate to the NFL.

Right the point is those players were overdrafted not that USC WRs can't translate to the NFL.

Regardless of whether or not they were overdrafted, which clearly the were in hindsight, they didn't translate to the NFL and they came from USC.  Hindsight is always 20/20 in terms of draft prospects.  At the time, most analysts really liked those picks.  They weren't considered overdrafted at the time, they were only considered overdrafted once it became clear that they didn't produce at an appropriate level in the NFL.

Regardless of whether or not they were overdrafted, which clearly the were in hindsight, they didn't translate to the NFL and they came from USC.  Hindsight is always 20/20 in terms of draft prospects.  At the time, most analysts really liked those picks.  They weren't considered overdrafted at the time, they were only considered overdrafted once it became clear that they didn't produce at an appropriate level in the NFL.

So you would also advise against drafting Odell Beckham Jr. yes?

So you would also advise against drafting Odell Beckham Jr. yes?

How could you possibly come to that conclusion?  Because of LaFell?  LaFell was a 3rd rounder who turned out to be exactly as billed.  A good blocker who makes some catches he shouldn't while dropping a lot of the easy ones.

I'd love Beckham.  I think he carried Metternberger and Landry.

How could you possibly come to that conclusion?  Because of LaFell?  LaFell was a 3rd rounder who turned out to be exactly as billed.  A good blocker who makes some catches he shouldn't while dropping a lot of the easy ones.

And Lee and Woods didn't help carry/carry Barkley? Again, picking and choosing when to apply an argument and when not to isn't helping you guys sound any more intelligent....

And Lee and Woods didn't help carry/carry Barkley? Again, picking and choosing when to apply an argument and when not to isn't helping you guys sound any more intelligent....

You're just not getting it.  You have the homer blinders on.  The fact of the matter is that it's hard to point to another collegiate team that has consistently produced so many busts as skill player positions, particularly WR, than USC.  I realize you're a USC fan and that you're going to argue against that, but take a step back and look at the situation honestly.

You seem to be the only one here taking this personally and resorting to tossing out insults.  That should tell you something.

You're happy with a 3rd round pick who never reaches 700 yards? 

But no not because of just lafell, because of lafell, early doucet, craig davis, devery henderson, josh reed, michael clayton and to a lesser extent rueben randle since the jury is obviously still out on him.

Archived