• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

We fugged up

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Here's some examples:

- 1995: The Warriors drafted Joe Smith over future HOF Kevin Garnett and the productive Rasheed Wallace.

- 1998, The Nuggets drafted Raef LaFrentz over future HOFs Dirk Nowitzki and Paul Pierce, and 8* time all star Vince Carter.

- 2003: The Pistons drafted Darko Milicic (#2) over Carmelo Anthony (#3), Chris Bosh (#4) and Dwyane Wade (#5).

- 2005: The Hawks drafted Marvin Williams over Deron Williams and Chris Paul 

- 2009: The T-Wolves drafted Jonny Flynn over Stephen Curry, DeMar DeRozan, and Brandon Jennings. Also, the Grizzlies drafted Hasheem Thabeet (#2) over James Harden (#3)

The problem with hindsight is that if you look at the above five drafts, the teams in question made errors in their selections. Two of them passed on future hall of fame players, and you might argue that the Pistons passed on hall of fame players as well. Granted the Pistons won the NBA championship the year they drafted Darko, but they could have won many more if they had drafted Melo or Wade. However, those teams made their decision to pass on those guys, for better or worse. 

As for us passing on Lillard the year after we drafted Kemba, it does look like a 'bad' decision based on Lillard's success. But if you draft a talented guy like Kemba to run the point guard position, you don't tend to see many teams draft a replacement point guard the following season. Now perhaps we could have drafted Lillard and used Kemba as a sixth man, or traded him for another first round draft pick. But the fact is that this team drafted its future PG in 2011, so 2012 the team decided to target its future SF with the high upside, but raw, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. Now sure we might have been better off drafting Lillard, or even Bradley Beal, but potentially MKG could develop into a very good player. If he doesn't, then he should still have a good career as a role player.

I assumed this thread was about MKG when I saw the title.  I've been watching Barnes, and especially Lillard and Beal light it up in the playoffs and we have MKG who is the worst offensive wing in the NBA.  I didn't want him then, now it's even more apparent. 

Correct title, wrong player. 

Fire Cho he is a very very very dumb bastard for passing up on guys like Lillard, Beal, Andre, KF35

Except he built a team with crazy potential and a bright future

You make it out like Lillard is the GOAT and is the reason why Portland got to the second round (yes i realized he it the game winner)

The TB already had a set in stone, young PF in Lamarcus Aldridge who has played lights out all playoff.  Nicholas Batum is a nasty defender who can drain the three and so is Wesley Matthews.  Lillard got into a good situation at the right time.  Not knockin his ability, hes a great PG, but hes not that far ahead of Kemba.  

Plus, Lillard is 2 inches taller than Kemba which has an effect.

You are always trying to poo on the Cats/Hornets and never offer any positive to work with.  It's always why "[insert player here] sucks"

I assumed this thread was about MKG when I saw the title.  I've been watching Barnes, and especially Lillard and Beal light it up in the playoffs and we have MKG who is the worst offensive wing in the NBA.  I didn't want him then, now it's even more apparent. 

Correct title, wrong player. 

Barnes, the guy who is scoring 7.9 points per game on 38% in the playoffs this year, is "lighting it up"? MKG averaged 8.5 points on 52% in the playoffs. Yet he is the "worst offensive wing in the NBA" and Barnes is "lighting it up"?

Lillard 20.7 ppg - 3.5 rpg - 5.6 ast

Kemba 17.7 ppg - 4.2 rpg - 6.1 ast

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Stats don't mean poo! Fans take stats too serious. Kemba is not even close to being the player Lillard is even tho the stats look similar.

You gotta look at the difference in both teams. There's much more options in Portland than here in Charlotte.

Stats don't mean poo! Fans take stats too serious. Kemba is not even close to being the player Lillard is even tho the stats look similar.

You gotta look at the difference in both teams. There's much more options in Portland than here in Charlotte.

Sometimes stats can go to deep, but the PPG and 3pt% absolutely mean a lot. Kemba is our guy in clutch time too, just like Lillard.

It's weird, you second line totally contradicts your first line. Of corse Portland has way better options- which makes it easier on Lillard to get more assists and floor spacing for buckets. I'm not sure where you are going with that.

Anyways, Kemba isn't terrible and a PG worth keeping and a piece to the puzzle. He shouldn't be the focal point of the team but the 2nd or third option is a great role for him. Period.

Sometimes stats can go to deep, but the PPG and 3pt% absolutely mean a lot. Kemba is our guy in clutch time too, just like Lillard.

It's weird, you second line totally contradicts your first line. Of corse Portland has way better options- which makes it easier on Lillard to get more assists and floor spacing for buckets. I'm not sure where you are going with that.

Anyways, Kemba isn't terrible and a PG worth keeping and a piece to the puzzle. He shouldn't be the focal point of the team but the 2nd or third option is a great role for him. Period.

I knew you were going to say that. But, these are two different teams. Portland is a high powered offensive team. The ball go through all five players' hands. Charlotte is a slow offensive / defensive team. The ball is only in the hands of Al and Kemba; sometimes McRob.

Even, Al agreed that McRob is pretty much the PG of this team.

Kemba can help a very good team being a 3rd or 4th option, but he's not your 1st or your 2nd.

I'm very critical of Kyrie but talents alone, Kemba is not on his level. Nor, is he on the same level as: Westbrook, Lillard, Wall, MCW.

Archived