• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Preseason/TC Surprise Player and Cut.

weyco2000

i could see beavers, and the captain being surprise players. but as far as the cuts go i think those guys will be on the roster. especially Johnson.

I don't think Beavers makes the team unless he displays Devin Hester-like abilities in the return game.

Ryne Robinson has more potential as a receiver, and I can't help but think he'll be a more durable, every game option than the 178 lb. Beavers. And that's no slight against Beavers, who I hope can be a dynamite return man. But he'll have to be to justify giving him a roster spot over players like Robinson and Carter, who can play receiver and be serviceable, if not great, return men. Also, don't forget about Goodson, who has impressed so far in camp. He could very well serve as a third running back, slot receiver, and return man (and yes, I realize this could move Ryne out the door, but I think Carter would be gone before Ryne).

Yes, Ryne was injured last year, but he's played in a lot more NFL games than Beavers has.

I agree about Captain: I think there's even a chance he gets the nickel position over Martin. Or who knows, maybe he gets a shot at returning.

Johnson may not be a great starter, but he is a great backup for us. And he's decent on special teams. I think he stays.

I agree with you on Goodson and could help as back, slot and kickoff returner. I like Beavers as a punt returner. What worries me about Robinson is injuries and he had only 4 receptions as a rookie, the longest being for 12 yards. Granted he was used primarily as a return man. As far as Johnson is concerned how long do you keep him on the roster and let younger, less expensive talent go.

My only thoughts on Matt Moore are this (keep in mind I'm actually a big fan of Moore):

McCown is the clear-cut number two on this team. With Delhomme's new contract, he's problem going to play a couple more years at least, barring something drastic.

Now, McCown might not be the heir apparent per se, but he will get the nod over Moore should something happen. That leaves the third quarterback as a possible "quarterback of the future."

Don't get me wrong here: I think that quarterback will probably be drafted fairly early next year. But, if Cantwell has a great camp/preseason (that's a big if, probably), then perhaps they'll consider picking up the younger guy with the big arm over Matt Moore, who did take a step back last preseason. If Moore is a similar player to Delhomme, then they might be inclined to go somewhere different; perhaps an "experiment" in Cantwell.

Yes I agree when you are looking at third string QB you can afford to gamble a bit. Cantwell was probably a steal for the Panthers as a FA pickup, he was projected a couple of years ago as a day 1 pick. I think the coaching changes at Louisville may have effected his play. I also like Matt Moore, lets just hope we choose wisely.

Archived