• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurricane Arthur

Darth Biscuit

At Ocean Isle we waited for a break in the rain as the bands rolled thru, went to the Wing and Fish Company in Shallotte, had some fish tacos and went to OIB pier to watch the sunset.

We were also hoping all the tourists would go total 'fraidy cat and leave... but they didn't. As much as all of us locals kept telling them "this was the big one" they didn't seem to believe us.

We went to Wing and Fish Wednesday night. I had the wings and the wife had fish tacos with cobia-- absolutely awesome.

And yeah we were hoping most of the tourists would leave as well.  (And yes I know we are tourists too, but since the family has a vacation cottage in Holden, we consider ourselves just a step up from the lower-class July 4th vacationers). ;-)

An old buddy of mine who is now a meteorologist posted this on fb today... thought it was cool...

690zkl.jpg

Yesterday, about this time, Hurricane Arthur passed over Buoy 41036, just off the North Carolina coastline. The buoy recorded an incredible drop in atmospheric pressure as the eye of Arthur passed over. Not only did the atmospheric pressure suddenly decrease, but the winds also decreased from a steady 55 kt wind to a steady 20-25 kts while encompassed within the eye of the hurricane. Once the eye passed the buoy, the winds picked back up to around 50 kts and the pressure increased back to its original values before the eye moved over.

Archived