• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gordon Hayward to visit Hornets next week.

PantherBrew

These holes...so many holes?

Someone posted a great breakdown of Lance's turnovers, dribbling out the clock and forcing pick and roll plays.

To me they are both equal..Lance stronger on the D end..Heyward a better O player and moves the ball with quick decisions.

Heyward is also not a spot up shooter he can drive as well and has better mid range scoring ability than Lance...so these holes...

That was going to be my point.

Why are we giving a max to someone that's a "2nd or 3rd option?"

Our 2nd and third option now is so awesome we should stand pat? The playoffs got embarassing quick on offense when Kemba was not on. Other than MKG with his one game no one else stood up. Josh McRoberts was our best player for most the series btw..

That was going to be my point.

Why are we giving a max to someone that's a "2nd or 3rd option?"

Huddle Observation: Price tag doesn't matter nearly as much for Gordon Hayward as it does for Lance Stephenson, who is more likely to be a better all around player than Hayward.

It's Stauskas and McDermott versus Hairston all over again. Amazing how people can't see themselves. 

Hayward is way too inconsistent to warrant a "max" contract. Stephenson is pretty consistent, but he wasn't the "star" on Indiana, Paul George was, and before the season started, Roy Hibbert, and probably David West, were also considered scoring options before Stephenson, so anyone who compares his "numbers" to Hayward's and tries to make a final decision based on that alone, needs to stop trying to make decisions altogether. 

Stephenson's problem is mental, which I'm not the least concerned about. I think the culture being built by the Hornets can modify him more than the other way around. More responsibility is a good thing for some people.

Neither should be offered more than $10M per season. I'll go as high as $10.5M.

Our 2nd and third option now is so awesome we should stand pat?

For the 10000th time, this is not simply about acquiring Hayward, this is about acquiring Gordon Hayward on a contract that would universally be regarded as an overpay and would surely curse us to the eternal 7th seededness we blew the team up for years ago to get out of. (Assuming at that point, Utah would do the sensible thing and not try to match us.)

I would rather bring back the 2013 Bobcats (Sessions, McBob) with the additions of Vonleh and Hairston than pick up Gordon Hayward on a max contract. After LeBron, Melo and Bosh there's no one on the market that deserves a max salary.

If other teams want to overpay below average shooting guards, fine. That doesn't mean we should be obligated to up the offers on the two shooting guards that could actually be an upgrade over Henderson.

Our 2nd and third option now is so awesome we should stand pat? The playoffs got embarassing quick on offense when Kemba was not on. Other than MKG with his one game no one else stood up. Josh McRoberts was our best player for most the series btw..

I think you missed the point...

You don't commit 25% of your salary space to a "2nd or 3rd option."

For the 10000th time, this is not simply about acquiring Hayward, this is about acquiring Gordon Hayward on a contract that would universally be regarded as an overpay and would surely curse us to the eternal 7th seededness we blew the team up for years ago to get out of. (Assuming at that point, Utah would do the sensible thing and not try to match us.)

I would rather bring back the 2013 Bobcats (Sessions, McBob) with the additions of Vonleh and Hairston than pick up Gordon Hayward on a max contract. After LeBron, Melo and Bosh there's no one on the market that deserves a max salary.

If other teams want to overpay below average shooting guards, fine. That doesn't mean we should be obligated to up the offers on the two shooting guards that could actually be an upgrade over Henderson.

Like I said, according to "some people" on the Huddle, Gordon Hayward deserves a max contract more than Lance Stephenson deserves $10M per season, despite the fact that Stephenson gives you more on both ends, because he's going to score in many more ways than Hayward can on top of being able to defend multiple positions with his quick feet, long arms and strength. People shoot over Hayward with ease because he has a short wingspan despite his height.  

I feel like people believe that the more you pay the better the player.

Brooklyn is probably kicking themselves right now for giving out max deals to Johnson and Williams.

What were there other alternatives? 

Williams and Johnson are some of the top players at their position. 

They had a team last yr that on paper could have contended for a title. 

I knew you were looking for what will never be "specific" enough for you, which is why I dismissed your request. 

http://youtu.be/2aa6_sdCgOs?t=6m36s

Definitely not a max guy. Prefer Lance Stephenson any day of the week. Much fewer holes in Stephenson's game, he's a much better defender, and he's going to score even if his shot isn't falling. 

And I knew you couldnt give me any specifics because you have none. You are not fooling anyone. 

Much better defender?!? Lance doesnt even average 1 block or steal a game. 

You know what Hayward shoots inside the arc? 

Paper champs is a nice name for... "we messed up and overpaid for a team that can't get it done."

I ask again,

What was their other option(s)? 

That was their best shot at putting together a title team. 

Lets say they didnt sign those guys, saved their money and signed Melo. 

They still are not title contenders. 

You gotta take chances plain and simple. If not your gonna be doing a lot of waiting and wishing on things that may or may not happen. 

Archived