• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hayward agrees to sign

If Gordon really reallllyyyyy wanted to come here.  

Wouldn't it worry you, if you were a Jazz FO member, giving a guy 63 million dollars that doesn't want to be there. 

You act like these guys are actually playing with real money.  Its just numbers man, its all fake believe.

shia-labeouf-magic-gif.gif

Wouldn't it worry you, if you were a Jazz FO member, giving a guy 63 million dollars that doesn't want to be there. 

By all accounts Hayward has enjoyed his time in Utah and would have no problem signing.  This is more so about him getting his money.  Again, they couldn't get a deal done last October so he hit the RFA market and found his value.  

My problem with that is, if you're Utah and he is so invaluable to the team how do you let this happen?  Why can't you agree on a contract on your own terms?  Now you are forced to match an offer with a 15% trade kicker and a player option in year 4.  

If he performs anywhere near the contract or if the Jazz aren't competitive that fourth year he will absolutely opt out.  He will be eligible for 30% of the cap as opposed to the 25% he's allotted now due to years of experience, and the Jazz have to consider all of this.  They could have just had him in the 4 years 50 mil range with no kicker and no player options.  

This is truly a terrible deal for the Jazz but they have pretty much no choice.  The fans won't like this move and at the very least Hayward will have his hecklers if he under performs there.  This is what Charlotte had to do in order to infuse their roster with talent.  They picked who they wanted and they went all in.  We'll just have to wait and see what the Jazz do now.

You act like these guys are actually playing with real money. Its just numbers man, its all fake believe.

shia-labeouf-magic-gif.gif

I'd love to walk my happy ass into a bank with one of those fake believe checks. I bet I'd be real-life excited.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

If he "really reallllyyyyy wanted to come here," he'd have come for the $13M he was asking Utah for, which I'm sure is closer to where the Hornets started their negotiations. 

I hope they don't match. He'd make us so much better and vise versa. Kid can handle and shoot and has active hands on defense. He's also just 24 and quite possibly on the cusp of hitting his peak.

Kemba

Hayward

Kidd-Gilchrist

Zeller/Vonleh

Jefferson

FAIL

If he "really reallllyyyyy wanted to come here," he'd have come for the $13M he was asking Utah for, which I'm sure is closer to where the Hornets started their negotiations. 

what makes you think this?  Hayward is a RFA and Utah openly stated theyd match any offer.  Why would we come in low and make it easier for Jazz to match?

Not all max contracts are equal. This one pays Gordon Hayward $15 million a year. The one LeBron, Melo, and the like will get will be upwards of $20 + million a year. Still an overpay, but this is another common misconception and why I hate the term "max deal."

I think it has something to do with years of service but I'm not sure. Look it up. I'm sure Zach Lowe has an article out there that explains it.

I know all "max contracts" are not equal, and Hayward was not worth any of them. 

Good player, not at a number that makes him the highest paid player on the team by a mile. 

If he "really reallllyyyyy wanted to come here," he'd have come for the $13M he was asking Utah for, which I'm sure is closer to where the Hornets started their negotiations.

He couldn't come here for 13 million, if we offered what Utah offered, it would have just allowed them to match for less.

Archived