• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hornets vs. Wizards Preseason Game Thread

Liminy

Because they were a terrible matchup! They had LeBron James! We lost Al 5 seconds into Game 1! They are something like 20-0 against us since 2009!

You're not seriously putting all of this on MKG are you?

I'm not the one who brought up the Miami series. 

I'm saying that in the playoffs, defenses are going to look to funnel the ball to MKG and purposely leave him open. 

The Hornets FO has done a nice job getting some scorers in here this year.  They tried to get another SF that brought more of an offensive game but it didn't work out.  Still though as long as MKG is on the floor 38-40 minutes a game it's going to cost us offensively. 

Shooting form isn't easy to fix.  It's like a QB trying to change his delivery 2 years after he's in the league.

I don't think you're dumb. I think your someone who hasn't been watching much preseason action. Or else you would acknowledge his improved form/shot. 

I've watched 2 out of the past 3 preseason games (didn't get to that 11am game), and I listened to one on the radio. I watched almost every game last year.  I've watched MKG since he's been on our team.  I think he has a lot of positive attributes, but unless he's has an angle in the paint he's a liability on offense.

I'm not the one who brought up the Miami series. 

I'm saying that in the playoffs, defenses are going to look to funnel the ball to MKG and purposely leave him open. 

The Hornets FO has done a nice job getting some scorers in here this year.  They tried to get another SF that brought more of an offensive game but it didn't work out.  Still though as long as MKG is on the floor 38-40 minutes a game it's going to cost us offensively. 

Shooting form isn't easy to fix.  It's like a QB trying to change his delivery 2 years after he's in the league.

Hayward would have played at Lance's spot. The FO targeted an improvement for Henderson, not MKG. GH is a 2/3 tweener and moves the ball like a guard. Essentially he's McBob with a guard's body. It was not to replace MKG.

Shooting form is not easy to fix, but give the kid a chance. It's simply too early to give up on him.

Lol at the Scottie Pippen comparison.

He'll never be Scottie Pippen. That's a dream manifest into reality if that happened. I'd be happy if he could end up as a Bruce Bowen type, but even Bruce could knock down the open 3.

I didn't say trade him away for a jump shooter. I said we need more offensive production coming out of the SF spot. Preferable from a guy who can get to the basket and also has a solid mid range game.

There's a reason we offered Hayward a SF a max contract while MKG was on the roster. It wasn't so MKG could start over him I'll tell you that much.

Hayward is a SG & would've replaced Henderson. The same reason they went after another SG in Stephenson. Hayward/Stephenson have nothing to do with MKG.

As for Scottie Pippen comparison...

When he was MKG's current age, Pippen was in his 3rd of 4 years at a Div 2 college. MKG will have 2 more full seasons in the NBA before he's Pippen's NBA rookie age.

Pippen rookie, age 22-

7 Pt, 4 Reb, 2 Ast, 46% FG (17% 3pt, 57% FT)

MKG is already better than Pippen was when he joined the Bulls, & he's 2 years younger.

Pippen was a terrible shooter until he was nearly 30 years old. After his 6th NBA season at age 28, Pippen was a career 24% 3pt & 67% FT shooter. MKG is still 2 years younger than Pippen was when he came into the league, and he's not any worse than Pippen was after his 6th year.

They are both very tall, thin, athletic players who thrive defensively & on the fast break. The thing is though, MKG is more athletic than Pippen was & has a ridiculous work ethic.

Saying MKG has the ability to be Pippen 2.0 isn't a stretch. The kid had as much hype as Durant, Irving, etc out of high school. It took Pippen a decade to become a shooter, why are you giving up on MKG a month after he turned 21? He's akready an elite defender, rebounder, & fast break player.

Hayward would have played at Lance's spot. The FO targeted an improvement for Henderson, not MKG. GH is a 2/3 tweener and moves the ball like a guard. Essentially he's McBob with a guard's body. It was not to replace MKG.

Shooting form is not easy to fix, but give the kid a chance. It's simply too early to give up on him.

They wouldn't have traded MKG if Hayward was brought in, but Hayward would have been our starting 3.

Strongly doubt that. Hayward is a SF. He would have, in certain rotations, played SG...namely when MKG came off the bench.

Oh, I see it now.

You're another teenager who labels a player's position by his height & grades how good they are by their scoring column.

Heyward is a SG. Hell, he's more of a PG than a SF. Same with Lance.

I've watched 2 out of the past 3 preseason games (didn't get to that 11am game), and I listened to one on the radio. I watched almost every game last year.  I've watched MKG since he's been on our team.  I think he has a lot of positive attributes, but unless he's has an angle in the paint he's a liability on offense.

I said it on here when posters started making preseason predictions and I will say it again: This team is a rebuilding squad that happened to sign a center that turned in an All-NBA performance, hired an outstanding coach that got the most out of the roster he was given and got a team that on paper should have been tanking for Wiggins into the playoffs.

If the front office truly wanted to win now, we would have shipped MKG off for a guy like Jeff Green by now or traded the Vonleh pick away for a veteran. The oldest player on the roster is Jason Maxiell and he's 31 and a 15th man. Gary Neal is the only other player in the 30s and he IS 30 and a 6th man.

This is still an extremely young roster in relation to the age of the rosters at their talent level and it is going to take time to develop into one of the true Eastern Conference contenders. They are not and should not be in a position to start moving assets to "win-now."

As you said, TMC, we got swept.

Hayward is a SG & would've replaced Henderson. The same reason they went after another SG in Stephenson. Hayward/Stephenson have nothing to do with MKG.

As for Scottie Pippen comparison...

When he was MKG's current age, Pippen was in his 3rd of 4 years at a Div 2 college. MKG will have 2 more full seasons in the NBA before he's Pippen's NBA rookie age.

Pippen rookie, age 22-

7 Pt, 4 Reb, 2 Ast, 46% FG (17% 3pt, 57% FT)

MKG is already better than Pippen was when he joined the Bulls, & he's 2 years younger.

Pippen was a terrible shooter until he was nearly 30 years old. After his 6th NBA season at age 28, Pippen was a career 24% 3pt & 67% FT shooter. MKG is still 2 years younger than Pippen was when he came into the league, and he's not any worse than Pippen was after his 6th year.

They are both very tall, thin, athletic players who thrive defensively & on the fast break. The thing is though, MKG is more athletic than Pippen was & has a ridiculous work ethic.

Saying MKG has the ability to be Pippen 2.0 isn't a stretch. The kid had as much hype as Durant, Irving, etc out of high school. It took Pippen a decade to become a shooter, why are you giving up on MKG a month after he turned 21? He's akready an elite defender, rebounder, & fast break player.

Trying to compare a guy who was still in college vs a guy in the pros is a lazy comparison.  Pippen was much better with the ball in his hands then MKG. 

Tall, thin, athletic players in the NBA?  How rare. 

Pippen had much better shooting form then MKG.  Are you gonna start telling me that MKG can bring the ball and get the team into an offense like Pippen too.

Pippen had much better shooting form then MKG.  Are you gonna start telling me that MKG can bring the ball and get the team into an offense like Pippen too.

Who was the only player other than Kemba last season that Clifford wanted to bring the ball up the floor in transition? That would be Michael Kidd-Gilchrist.

He is not Pippen, but he has Pippen and Kawhi potential that you just can't leave on the bench.

I said it on here when posters started making preseason predictions and I will say it again: This team is a rebuilding squad that happened to sign a center that turned in an All-NBA performance, hired an outstanding coach that got the most out of the roster he was given and got a team that on paper should have been tanking for Wiggins into the playoffs.

If the front office truly wanted to win now, we would have shipped MKG off for a guy like Jeff Green by now or traded the Vonleh pick away for a veteran. The oldest player on the roster is Jason Maxiell and he's 31 and a 15th man. Gary Neal is the only other player in the 30s and he IS 30 and a 6th man.

This is still an extremely young roster in relation to the age of the rosters at their talent level and it is going to take time to develop into one of the true Eastern Conference contenders. They are not and should not be in a position to start moving assets to "win-now."

As you said, TMC, we got swept.

I think the FO has done a great job balancing being able to win while also continuing to develop our roster. 

Once again, I never said that MKG is a bad player.  I said that we would be in better position if we had the ability to bring him off the bench.  If a trade popped up that was sensible, made us better offensively, and didn't cripple our future we would be fools not to listen.

Who was the only player other than Kemba last season that Clifford wanted to bring the ball up the floor i transition? That would be Michael Kidd-Gilchrist.

He is not Pippen, but he has Pippen and Kawhi potential that you just can't leave on the bench.

"In transition" is the key phrase.  MKG is great on the break.  I said he's a liability in a half court offense.

Oh, I see it now.

You're another teenager who labels a player's position by his height & grades how good they are by their scoring column.

Heyward is a SG. Hell, he's more of a PG than a SF. Same with Lance.

No I'm 29 years old and played AAU, HS, and college basketball. 

No, Hayward with an "a" is a small forward that has ball handling ability.  He cuts to the basket, takes short corner 3's, and is adept at low post entry passes from the short perimeter. 

Once again...Hayward in certain rotations would have played the 2 spot, namely while MKG was in the game.  Seeing as how the only position MKG will ever play on offense is a 3. 

Hayward would have started at SF.

Archived