• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Off-season priorities - #3 Cornerback

London Loves Luke

Sorry T, but disagree with most of this.

I see our priority ranks as OT, WR, CB, DE/S, DT

OT/WR is self explanatory.

CB - I agree Colin Jones was decent in man coverage from the slot, but our Buffalo package requires zone coverage for intermediate routes, where Jones got confused a fair amount of times last season. You can't steal a safety from our roster, call him a slot CB and say safety is a bigger need.

DE/S - We have starters in these positions at the moment - Boston/Harper/Jones will most probably start next season and they all have playing time under their belt. Harper most probably will start regardless of people's complaints because he keeps the young group together.

We have CJ and Ealy as DEs this season, and enough depth with playing time to spell if needed. Yes, it would be nice to have a vet to help Ealy, but I don't think its happening this season unless we keep Hardy. Guy's gonna have a baptism of fire and hopefully he comes out stronger because of it.

DT - we just need bench depth, not exactly a huge need.

Colin Jones is a defensive back. By putting him in a position where he succeeded, you're not stealing him from safety. Boston was decent last year but Harper is trash and safety is by far a bigger need than corner. Not even worth debating. Harper should stay on the team and be a mentor but should not be starting. And Colin wasn't just "decent" he was a huge part of our defense's success at the end of the season and was arguably as good overall as Bene was. Not as good in coverage but he is always right at the ball and has great instincts for nickel. Bene is already a better outside corner than most in the league and I know many are skeptical of Josh, but he is the real fuging deal and is a top 10 corner. Corner is not a need at all, as both our starters are above average relative to the rest of the league and are young.

Jones was not succeeding at safety. He played amazingly at nickel. He's not in our plans at all at safety. Tre Boston was solid for the most part but got absolutely burned numerous times in both Seattle games. He's promising but he's far from the sure thing that Norman and Bene are. Harper is trash in coverage and an upgrade is immediately needed there. DeCoud will likely be cut. As for DE, our whole defensive philosophy is around rushing the passer and stopping the run. Ealy is on the right track but isn't there yet and is a liability against the run and even rushing the passer at times. I love Big Frank's intensity and he's a beast rushing the passer but we have no idea where he stands right now. We need elite DEs to get the most out of out defensive schemes, and you know how Gettleman values pass rushers. I guarentee you he sees DE as a bigger need than CB. If we were to keep Hardy, even if just for a year, that would change, but as it stand right now, DE is big need.

And as for DT, it's not just "bench depth." KK and Star don't play all the snaps, particularly KK. If Cole and Dwan are both gone we lose a ridiculous amount of production. There were games both of them played more snaps than KK. Our DT rotation is extremely important for keeping fresh legs and changing up the line. And back to our defensive philosophy.... Stop the run, rush the passer. Starts at the line. And any CB we bring in would just be "bench depth" so I don't see why you think CB is such a huge need and DT isn't a need at all. I expect we bring back one of Cole and Dwan but that hasn't happened yet, so as of now DT is a bigger need than corner.

Safety is definitely a need but the safety position is not very good at all in this year draft class. Like you stated in another thread Landon Collins is by far the best safety in the draft and some people will say he could be better suited to play OLB but the production and talent drops off after Collins. I look for Gettleman to bring in another safety via free agency because i expect Thomas Decoud to be cut and Roman Harper is Roman Harper, but you can't assume he will play at a high level next season. I know this name might surprise you or anyone who reads this post, but I actually wouldn't mind someone like Taylor Mays who will be a free agent March 10. Taylor Mays reminds me so much of Mike Mitchell he strong and fast as well as a heavy hitter. His coverage skills concerns me like Mitchell did but I think Steve Wilks can find away to improve that. If our DLine can regain back to 2013 form, Mays could be very good in the back end of our defense if the Panthers were to take that low risk high reward chance.

Yes the draft is not very deep at safety at all after Collins but that doesn't change the fact that safety is a bigger need than corner.

I'd put DE over OLB and if we don't resign Cole/Dwan then DT over OLB but otherwise agree.

The only way I ranked it like that is because I'm not sold on Klein or Glanton. TD is not getting younger. I give him two or three years. That's a perfect amount of time to GROOM a replacement. Not just throw a guy in the fray.

Lol at the people that think WR is a bigger need than DE. Better yet, LMAO at anyone that doesn't have DE at #2 or better on list of needs!

The pass rush that the D generates is what seems to be the biggest difference maker between wins and losses

We have a solid rotation right now. Ealy will only get better. DE is the top need next year, but not this year. The only reason I say that is Charles Johnson retiring.

The only way I ranked it like that is because I'm not sold on Klein or Glanton. TD is not getting younger. I give him two or three years. That's a perfect amount of time to GROOM a replacement. Not just throw a guy in the fray.

Only thing is we don't really need the 3rd LB to be great since we're in nickel/buffalo package so much. We'll need a guy to pair with Luke for sure once the inevitable day comes for TD (hopefully atleast 3-5 years away) but I don't see getting that now as being as important as the other positions. But if Shaq Thompson is sitting there at 25 we better take him.

Only thing is we don't really need the 3rd LB to be great since we're in nickel/buffalo package so much. We'll need a guy to pair with Luke for sure once the inevitable day comes for TD (hopefully atleast 3-5 years away) but I don't see getting that now as being as important as the other positions. But if Shaq Thompson is sitting there at 25 we better take him.

Shaq Thompson could actually be an inverse TD and be moved to safety if we draft him. I'm all for it though.

Shaq Thompson could actually be an inverse TD and be moved to safety if we draft him. I'm all for it though.

True and I've even explored the possibility of if we could get Landon Collins have him play SS for now and could be moved to OLB as TD's replacement.

BTW, would pie but on mobile version...

We have a solid rotation right now. Ealy will only get better. DE is the top need next year, but not this year. The only reason I say that is Charles Johnson retiring.

CJ gets hurt and we are done! Ealy def needs to remain a situational player another year. Lets assume Frank fails another test! Now what?

We can have AJ Green and Revis, we lose our pass rush and we are pretty much guaranteed to lose the game! Shula is not an OC geared to enter shoot outs

CJ gets hurt and we are done! Ealy def needs to remain a situational player another year. Lets assume Frank fails another test! Now what?

We can have AJ Green and Revis, we lose our pass rush and we are pretty much guaranteed to lose the game! Shula is not an OC geared to enter shoot outs

I believe that Ealy will be better than what you expect.

Luke gets hurt and we are done, that doesn't mean draft another linebacker.

Our defense improved from 25th to 5th with changes in our secondary over the second half of the season, not changes to our D-Line. CJ is still a game changer, and when you can rotate Alexander, Ealy, Horton and Addison on the other end you should not be too worried about DE. When your corner depth is Melvin White and Carrington Byndom, then you should address your cornerbacks. 

I believe that Ealy will be better than what you expect.

Luke gets hurt and we are done, that doesn't mean draft another linebacker.

You really believe Ealy is prepared to be an every down DE? Come on man!

Luke going down hurts, but not a killer. Having no pass rush is a killer! CJ and KK are our current above average pass rushers....awful thin for a team that wins and loses on the pass rush! All season we needed a Hardy replacement, towards the end we found a fraction of what we had in 2013 and started winning! Coincidence?

Archived